Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good pump action shotgun

Options
  • 23-01-2016 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a good pump shotgun. Can anyone recommend a dealership? I'm in the wesht.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Try Duffys in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mossberg/Maverick, Remington...Thats all you need to look for in brands.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I have the Remington 870 and cant fault it, simple and reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have the Remington 870 and cant fault it, simple and reliable

And iv a mossberg 500A, absolute work horse. My mate has an 870, very similar guns both as reliable as the other. You wont go wrong with either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've a mossberg maverick 88 and it's bombproof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I've a Mossberg 500 for 15 years and it's been faultless. Had an older Mossberg "New Haven" pump before that. Depends on your preferences really, the Mossberg has a top safety like a double barrel, whicj I like, whilst others have a cross bolt type safety.

Never handled a Remington, but people say they're silky smooth. Had a go with a Winchester ranger and didn't really like it, seemed a bit unbalanced in my hands, and passed over an Ithaca pump that I'm sorry didn't buy, if only for curiosity value.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Yeah, two big Bazookas but no pump-action shotgun in that clip ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Feck it wrong clip pasted. Never mind couldn't be bothered good night back and looking for the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

I spoke to a gun dealer today about getting started. He told me the pump action shotguns he sells only hold a max of 3 slugs. I was under the impression they held more? The Remington 870 says it holds 5. Don't think I would bother if it only held 3. I don't think that one slug would make a hell of a lot of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well you can get a restricted shotgun, that holds more than five.IF you can convince your cheif super to issue the liscense and have an extremely good reason as to why you need more than three shots. There are ome lads who shoot the illegal sport of IPSC in sthn Ireland in northern Ireland who have them for their sport.,but otherwise its a hard sell down here. BTW when you refer to "slugs" around here that s referring about a restricted type of shotgun ammo, we generally call what goes into a shotgun "cartridges" to reduce confusion and gaffes.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

All Mossberg hold five, to my knowledge. They usually have a piece of dowel rod ( sometimes called a "plug") inserted into the magazine tube to limit the gun to only hold three cartridges. This rod is placed inside the coil spring in the magazine tube and if you told the gun pointing straight upwards, then point it straight downwards you will hear the piece of rod moving within the spring. (Unloaded gun.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had a Winchester pump that was unplugged and for many years left it so, but as I got more and more into shotguning I plugged the tube myself. My semi will take five but it to is kept plugged in accordance to my license and the wild life act, besides that most semi's and pumps are heavy enough to lug around the country side without weighing them down with more cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

got a new browning semi-auto on monday 3 shot and will stay that way cant see why you want more than 3 shots
    anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

[Mod Note]
    Folks, a few points to note please.
    Yes, it is physically possible in some cases to remove the plug on an unrestricted shotgun. It's also physically possible to drive over a pedestrian in your car. In both cases, it's completely illegal, and given that we've just spent quite a considerable amount of effort getting irked at the AGS for suggesting they bring in laws to ban firearms on the grounds that we might do something illegal with them, a lot of us would rather not listen to some back-of-the-pub nattering about how it's normal to do illegal things with legally held firearms. So knock it off, it's just as offensive coming from shooters as it is from the Garda Ballistics section.

Secondly, leave the RKBA stuff for somewhere else. Preferably somewhere that it's not also highly illegal.

Several posts above deleted to tidy up this mess.
    [/Mod Note]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

OP judging from your post in the legal discussion, I'm just going to point out to you that you cannot licence any firearm for the purpose that you seem to want it for.

If you really are looking to get into hunting, I've never heard of any bird requiring 5 shots to go down and with a pump action anyway they'll be out of range after two shots.

It's really not that much of a burden to slide a shell into the bottom of a 3 shot pump or autoloader if that's what you've your heart set on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm closing this thread because the OP has some seriously scary notions of what it means to own a gun, illegal reason for wanting one, and frankly personifies the "not everyone should have a gun" statement.

Closed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement