Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco & the Euro Car Parks scam

Options
  • 23-01-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Nice little earner for Euro Car Parks and Tesco.

Earlier today I came back to my car in Roselawn car park. Under the wiper was a document in a clear plastic bag.

The document was called a Parking Charge Notice:eek:

The offence I was guilty of was " Not parking within a marked bay" (which is true).

The "ticket" told me that I was required (by who and with what authority, it doesn't say) to pay a Parking Charge of E50, if I paid within 21 days or E30, if I paid within 14 days.

It then went on to list the ways I could pay the fine

1. by phone

2. Over the internet or

3. I could send Euro car parks a cheque

The "ticket" continues that if I don't pay the fine, my details could be requested from the VRLI. No idea of who they are. Google suggesting either Virtual Reality Laboratories Inc. or Virtual Reality Laboratory Incorporated.

I think they mean to imply, or want me to believe, that they will seek my details from the Department of Transport in Shannon, whose records have no authority to request, although I suppose, they can request the details, they just won't be forthcoming.

They then proceed to threaten me that if I don't pay the fine, that they will pass my details on to a third party for collection, and I will also have to pay an administrative charge.

Just imagine Martin "The Viper" Foley turning up at your front door. A bill for E50 fine in one hand and a bill for an E250 administration fee in the other.

If even 1 in 10 people pay the fine, imagine the amount of money Euro Car Parks they must be scamming.

Tescos, the owners of the centre, should be ashamed of themselves allowing poor, uneducated or naive people being taken advantage of in this way.

Having said that, with the way Tesco's is run they are probably getting a cut of the illegal "fines". With the way their share price is gone, they need every cent they can get.

It's just not fair Joe. The Government should do something about it.:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Murt10 wrote: »
    Nice little earner for Euro Car Parks and Tesco.

Earlier today I came back to my car in Roselawn car park. Under the wiper was a document in a clear plastic bag.

The document was called a Parking Charge Notice:eek:

The offence I was guilty of was " Not parking within a marked bay" (which is true).

The "ticket" told me that I was required (by who and with what authority, it doesn't say) to pay a Parking Charge of E50, if I paid within 21 days or E30, if I paid within 14 days.

It then went on to list the ways I could pay the fine

1. by phone

2. Over the internet or

3. I could send Euro car parks a cheque

The "ticket" continues that if I don't pay the fine, my details could be requested from the VRLI. No idea of who they are. Google suggesting either Virtual Reality Laboratories Inc. or Virtual Reality Laboratory Incorporated.

I think they mean to imply, or want me to believe, that they will seek my details from the Department of Transport in Shannon, whose records have no authority to request, although I suppose, they can request the details, they just won't be forthcoming.

They then proceed to threaten me that if I don't pay the fine, that they will pass my details on to a third party for collection, and I will also have to pay an administrative charge.

Just imagine Martin "The Viper" Foley turning up at your front door. A bill for E50 fine in one hand and a bill for an E250 administration fee in the other.

If even 1 in 10 people pay the fine, imaging the amount of money Euro Car Parks they must be scamming.

Tescos, the owners of the centre, should be ashamed of themselves allowing poor, uneducated or naive people being taken advantage of in this way.

Having said that, with the way Tesco's is run they are probably getting a cut of the illegal "fines". With the way their share price is gone, they need every cent they can get.

It's just not fair Joe. The Government should do something about it.:D:D:D

I wouldn't have thought that had anything to do with Tesco or Euro Parks. Did you go in and talk to Tesco about it? Does not sound legit at all.

That's my instinct only, maybe you know better but didn't think Euro Parks had anything to do with Rose Lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,421 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ignore and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Park properly next time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

webpal wrote: »
    Park properly next time
    Ah, here they come :rolleyes:

I'm gonna pop down today and park sideways, just for the craic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Seanie_H wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that had anything to do with Tesco or Euro Parks. Did you go in and talk to Tesco about it? Does not sound legit at all.

That's my instinct only, maybe you know better but didn't think Euro Parks had anything to do with Rose Lawn.

Euro Car Parks do actually look after Roselawn car park. There are big yellow signs all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What, no vulnerable elderly people included in your list? What's the world coming to.

I would think most people in your little list there know how to park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Simple, don't ever return.

It seems strange though, there are always loads of motors badly parked in Roselawn SC, ive never seen anyone attempt to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I shop there a bit and ive seen a guy go around with a handheld machine taking reg plates. So its definitely being managed.

I also got done myself for a PCN in scotland last year for similar. In that case there was a website to look at which had a picture of my car where it was parked (in that case it was a local council car park)

Was there anything on the ticket about a website to get further details?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I shop there a bit and ive seen a guy go around with a handheld machine taking reg plates. So its definitely being managed.

I also got done myself for a PCN in scotland last year for similar. In that case there was a website to look at which had a picture of my car where it was parked (in that case it was a local council car park)

Was there anything on the ticket about a website to get further details?

Different country so different laws. The only thing that they can do is ban the OP from parking there and they might clamp them if they do, but since the notice has no legal status they'd be on dodgy ground if they do clamp the OP providing the OP is parked correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not sure related to Tesco and parking company...but can I beg the to come over for few days and check the status of parking in Ongar Village !?
    Beside cars and vans with logos been parked with no respect to passengers or other driver ,today some driver parked his new jeep directly in the front of the entrance door in Dunes. Took a photo and asked the management in the store what's going on ,they said that they hates the situation but out of their control.

So... Euro Car Park ...can you come to Ongar as well ,please !?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

rolion wrote: »
    Not sure related to Tesco and parking company...but can I beg the to come over for few days and check the status of parking in Ongar Village !?
    Beside cars and vans with logos been parked with no respect to passengers or other driver ,today some driver parked his new jeep directly in the front of the entrance door in Dunes. Took a photo and asked the management in the store what's going on ,they said that they hates the situation but out of their control.

So... Euro Car Park ...can you come to Ongar as well ,please !?

Thanks.

Tyrrelstown shopping centre has the same problem - no parking controls so a few morons make it dangerous and inconvenient for the majority who park in bays. Tesco seem to have the right balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You get the gardai ticketing the lazy ****s who park outside the shops rather than in the spaces there, I've seen it before. And I was talking to the girls in the chemist one afternoon as we watched some guy almost have his door removed as he parked outside the door and opened in into the path of a car, they said tickets are issued regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's a pain. The guy goes round with handheld scanner and max stay on two hours.

So I spent 20 mins in tesco and went to get my hair coloured...two hours....receptionist went and moved my car but of course wasn't insured!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

amtc wrote: »
    ...he guy goes round with handheld scanner and max stay on two hours...

I have never seen this in that car park. In Roselawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

A relative of mine parked for twenty minutes one morning in Roselawn and ended up going back in the afternoon to pick something else up in the shops, presumably in a different spot. Got a ticket for parking longer than the 2 hours allowed as they assumed the car was there all day. The ticket went in the bin and nothing further happened. This was a few years ago now.

If they want to be serious about monitoring it they at least need to paint numbers on the parking spaces.

beauf wrote: »
    I have never seen this in that car park. In Roselawn?

I'll answer my own question. there was guy there today, very keen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Anyone up for a bad parking flash mob? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Aye I thought of this thread when seeing him yesterday and had a little grin. However, I then saw him run over to stop a driver who parked right outside the door of Tesco as she was strolling off into the shop and leaving the car basically abandoned in the most obnoxious fashion. Briefly watched an interchange that appeared to be excuses and 'no speak english' arm waving and thought 'fair f*ks rather him than me!' Clearly based on OP admitting parking badly and what I saw yesterday, maybe this carpark needs the monitoring/ticketing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got loads of tickets for parking for over three hours in the overflow car park in Stillorgan. Never paid any of them nor did I ever get stopped from parking there again.
    The ironic thing was that I had to park there because the spaces outside our office were taken up by shoppers!

RustyNut wrote: »
    Anyone up for a bad parking flash mob? :D

No. People park like morons in that car park. Let them be fined.

• Advertisement
Advertisement