Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCSP Selection Criteria

Options
  • 23-01-2016 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering how other DEIS schools select students for the JCSP programme. Is it based on aptitude testing, background situation or something else? I know the programme attracts a slightly increased PTR per group, that funding for other initiatives is available and that there is a max permitted number of students.

There seems to be no clear selection process in my school and some of the decisions re pupils included or excluded seem strange. To me over 90% of our students fit the profile of JCSP but only around 20% are included. I'm interested to hear how it works elsewhere, bearing in mind that it could be completely scrapped altogether in the new JC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

A side question to that, is there selection procedure for schools for JCSP, do you need to be a DEIS school, apologies Arlessienne, don't mean to take over your thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

seavill wrote: »
    A side question to that, is there selection procedure for schools for JCSP, do you need to be a DEIS school, apologies Arlessienne, don't mean to take over your thread

Afaik the JCSP is only available to DEIS schools.

As for the admissions policy that's a matter for individual schools. Ita more to do with early school leaving in our school than with ability.

Son people would like jcsp to be like the way they see lca - a dumping ground for weak students.

Do you run a standalone jcsp or is it integrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Our JCSP is integrated. I know the selection is down to the individual school, I'm just interested in how other schools decide. The whole point of the programme is to target those at risk of leaving school early - but how are those students identified on the ground?

I suppose many would see a link between ability and risk of leaving early, but obviously other factors would come into play too. I think that the majority of our students are at risk of leaving early, relative to the general student population. There is little resilience or capacity for dealing with setbacks and poor attendance in response to challenges at home or in school is a common issue.

We have one group with SEN in each year group and they are part of the JCSP and another mixed ability group will also be included - but how that second group is chosen seems completely arbitrary. They're no weaker and no more at risk then the rest of the students but they benefit from lots of extra funding and initiatives resulting in extra trips and activities - it causes a lot of jealousy and upset!

I assume there must be a tipping point where adding to the number of JCSP students results in no further increase in funding and supports, and this would explain the reluctance to include more students. It's a pity to see the other students losing out like that though.

Advertisement