Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools Knocknacarra

Options
  • 23-01-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Which school to choose in Knocknacarra? Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, Boleybeg or the Knocknacarra NS?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Knocknacarra NS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Knocknacarra NS

There is also an educate together school in the industrial estate near Dunnes.
    Here is my overview;
    Gaelscoil- long established, good reputation, Irish speaking, used to be hard to get a place (though this might have changed with new schools opening)
    Bolybeg- country feel (I have no other info)
    New National school- nice new building, English speaking
    Educate together- only one without catholic ethos, very new.
    Personally we chose a school in the city centre as it is a feeder school to a secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As of September 2015 there is also a Steiner school. It's in the same building as the Educate Together - next door to Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

My daughter is in the Gaelscoil, it's an excellent school, we're very happy with it. I have a lot of friends with children in the NS, all are happy with it, from what I hear. Both schools have very long lists though so get names down early.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Lots of kids from Knocknacarra also send kids to Scoil Ide and Scoil Einde in Salthill. It's 2km from Knocknacarra and they are excellent schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Have a grand-daughter at Scoil Íde. Excellent school, good atmosphere.

Feeder to Salerno

In Salthill you also have Scoil Rois - feeder for Taylor's Hill and the Jes primary -feeds to Jes secondary, Colaiste Iognaid. Scoil Fhursa is a good school but no secondary link.
    Lots of options but popular schools fill quickly so put names down as babies and try to use naionra for the school you want (if available) to improve chances of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also note that Knocknacarra NS is officially called St John the Apostle, and is Catholic. Possibly Catholic lite as the et opened a bit later, but still Catholic.

My daughter is at Scoil Ide. It is a Catholic school but parents can opt their kids out of the religion teachings. There are many non Christian and non religion families in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Lots of kids from Knocknacarra also send kids to Scoil Ide and Scoil Einde in Salthill. It's 2km from Knocknacarra and they are excellent schools.

Can not praise Scoil Einde and Scoil Ide enough, apart from academically, both schools are great for getting involved in outside school activities.

• Advertisement

lukeeman wrote: »
    Can not praise Scoil Einde and Scoil Ide enough, apart from academically, both schools are great for getting involved in outside school activities.

Huh? Academically, the experience of my extended family and close circle of friends has been positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think he means it as 'as well as academically'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mfor

Thanks to all for the advice.

We are really only interested in hearing about the three schools mentioned above, particularly Boleybeg, if anyone can offer any advice?

We like the country feel of the Boleybeg school but would be interested to hear any views on the school itself, academically and for after school activities.

Also, just wondering are any of the three schools linked to secondary schools and if not where do kids generally go post primary from any of these three. Are any linked to the new secondary school in Knocknacarra?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I think Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh is a great school. It has a lovely ethos, and so far I haven't met anyone who went there who didn't love it. It is catholic, and you can opt your child out, but as with any catholic school the god talk is unavoidable. If you're catholic though, you're laughing.

It's not tied in with any secondary school. Coláiste na Coiribe is up there now, but their enrollments have always been on a first come first served basis. They're not linked with any other school, and last I knew even if there is a sibling there, they are not given preferential treatment with regard to selection.

I don't know about boleybeg outside of driving past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Huh? Academically, the experience of my extended family and close circle of friends has been positive.

Sorry, it should have said it was brilliant Academically.

"Also, just wondering are any of the three schools linked to secondary schools and if not where do kids generally go post primary from any of these three. Are any linked to the new secondary school in Knocknacarra?"
    Just to possibly state the obvious- the new secondary school is all Irish speaking so it would be better to go to a gaelscoil if you want to go there. Put your child's name down now (even if they are a baby) as it's hugely oversubscribed.

Advertisement