Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dele Alli

• 23-01-2016 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Scored an amazing goal today, type of goal you don't see very often. He's only 19 and has played almost all of Spurs games in the league so far. Huge prospect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

An English player who might actually deserve the hype. He's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It's a bit like that dancing panda on rollerskating kit kat ad for me. I've seen Spurs four or five times this season and he's been pretty average each time. However he seems to do something special whenever I'm not watching. He's still very young so it's no surprise he's showing inconsistency. Seems to have a real chance of starting for England on France this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I had to be "that person", but the goalkeeping really takes away from that goal for me.

A shocking effort from Hennessey who is somehow playing Premier League football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well he should be a shoe in for the final 3 of the Puskas Award coz that was a mirror image of Stephanie Roche's Goal!

https://vine.co/v/ODhDATpM1Fi

https://vine.co/v/ielYKZmb6P2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well he should be a shoe in for the final 3 of the Puskas Award coz that was a mirror image of Stephanie Roche's Goal!

https://vine.co/v/ODhDATpM1Fi

https://vine.co/v/ielYKZmb6P2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool were within a slightly better offer of buying this fella 12 months ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Struggling for a better player out there aged 19 or younger. Chap looks the real deal but at the same time lets give it a year or so and see where we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Liverpool were within a slightly better offer of buying this fella 12 months ago :(

Didnt they decide he wasnt good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As far as I know there was a gap between the clubs and Liverpool just were not willing to go above a certain level. Obviously its easy to regret not spending the extra million or two

from the Liverpool Echo in November.
    Alli was on the Reds’ radar shortly after he made his first-team debut for MK Dons against Cambridge City in the FA Cup at the age of 16 back in November 2012.

Brendan Rodgers monitored his progress closely and had him watched throughout the 2013/14 campaign. Rodgers received regular updates from MK Dons boss Karl Robinson, who had previously coached at Liverpool’s Kirkby Academy,

“He is one of the most gifted 17-year-olds this country has ever seen,” Robinson said after Alli had plundered his first senior hat-trick against Notts County in March 2014.

“I’ve said from the word go, he’s as good as it gets and he’s the best young player I’ve ever worked with. I see him as a young Steven Gerrard, who had a similar frame and build to him. He needs to learn to score more goals and is getting better at that.”

The reviews were repeatedly glowing, with former Reds scout Mel Johnson pushing for a deal to be done. But when in the summer of 2014 Liverpool began to talk terms over a possible transfer, the fee kept on rising, as did the add-ons.

Rodgers was keen to get him on board but others members of the transfer committee weren’t convinced that Alli represented value for money. There was a feeling that he would need another 12 to 18 months to be ready for the demands of Premier League football.

So we are both right in a way (don't wait too long and don't have a committee is the lesson!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think that Spurs offered him better terms than what we did.

It's a shame really because he has done very well this year and should have a good career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

He has scored some incredible goals this season, looks the real deal. Spurs have a huge talent on their hands. He'll help ensure they make top 4 or better this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Reminds me off Gazza

That's 2 great goals he has in a number of weeks, his goal vs Everton and today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think that Spurs offered him better terms than what we did.

It's a shame really because he has done very well this year and should have a good career.

I remember reading that Rodgers wanted him but a deal couldn't be done. He's a massive Liverpool fan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

glued wrote: »
    I remember reading that Rodgers wanted him but a deal couldn't be done. He's a massive Liverpool fan too.

Knew there was something odd about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wonder would he look as good playing for a big team.

Personally I think it's just another one of Spurs over-hyped player of the years.

Personally I think it's just another in a long line of "Spurs over-hyped player of the years". Like many before him he'll either be good enough to be sold after a second good season or die off to an extent that he'll be linked with Sunderland ala Townsend (remember him - Englands saviour???)

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Quazzie wrote:

He is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

[SARCASM] He can't be any good, it's Spurs. He'll go down the same road as that overrated, one trick pony Bale or the half season wonder Harry Kane. [/SARCASM]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It was a very good goal regardless of the keeper, it came natural to him too, you don't think about it, which is the talent.

He hit the bar with another great effort too.

At 19, and playing consistently (I think he has near enough played every game) he has great potential.

However he is being lined up as England's trump card for the Euros which has it's own dangers.

He is

It's all relative. Looking up from the lower leagues they're a big team, but no world class player wants to play for Spurs, so in global terms they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Quazzie wrote: »

Personally I think it's just another in a long line of "Spurs over-hyped player of the years". Like many before him he'll either be good enough to be sold after a second good season or die off to an extent that he'll be linked with Sunderland ala Townsend (remember him - Englands saviour???)

Townsend was never rated highly by anyone. He was a decent player riding a wave of good form and was heralded as such.

It's all relative. Looking up from the lower leagues they're a big team, but no world class player wants to play for Spurs, so in global terms they're not.

By that definition there's probably two big teams in the world. Possibly three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Personally I think it's just another one of Spurs over-hyped player of the years.

Luckily nobody values your opinion as an Arsenal fan obviously trying to troll the thread. Once he does not turn out like Wilshere I will be happy.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Luckily nobody values your opinion as an Arsenal fan obviously trying to troll the thread. Once he does not turn out like Wilshere I will be happy.

You've a racist name so I don't value your opinion at all. Instead of calling me a troll, how about actually trying to rebutt what I say with some evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You've a racist name so I don't value your opinion at all. Instead of calling me a troll, how about actually trying to rebutt what I say with some evidence.

Rebutt (don't think it's a verb fyi) what you said? You typed up a half-arsed, generalised, one-line opinion that was clearly inflammatory, why would he bother? You knew what you were at, and now you're trying to take the high road. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Brought him into my fantasy team after that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Your initial point makes no sense so there is nothing to rebutt.

If you want I can just say "the post reminds me of Arsenal club of last 10 years".

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Your initial point makes no sense so there is nothing to rebutt.

If you want I can just say "the post reminds me of Arsenal club of last 10 years".

My initial point is that every year Spurs have a new "next best player". Some have turned out good, some haven't. Inevitably the ones that turn out good, move on the a big club to fulfill their potential (Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale to name the obvious one). Then there are those who don't. Townsend was touted as being the saviour of the English national team at one point, and now he's been flogged to Sunderland. There are quiet a long list also in the same bracket Jenas never lived up to the hype that Spurs created for him. Aaron Lennon is another who despite being claimed as a starter for England ahead of Walcott hasn't lived up to it. Kane, while having an OK second year, isn't quiet the World beater that all spurs fans claimed him to be.

Every year Spurs have a new "world beater", all I'm pointing out is that it's either all premature lip service, or the player is good and then moves away from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Just before we continue down this crazy road of mental, let's stop it in its tracks: Rebutt is not a word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

My initial point is that every year Spurs have a new "next best player". Some have turned out good, some haven't. Inevitably the ones that turn out good, move on the a big club to fulfill their potential (Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov, Modric, Bale to name the obvious one). Then there are those who don't. Townsend was touted as being the saviour of the English national team at one point, and now he's been flogged to Sunderland. There are quiet a long list also in the same bracket Jenas never lived up to the hype that Spurs created for him. Aaron Lennon is another who despite being claimed as a starter for England ahead of Walcott hasn't lived up to it. Kane, while having an OK second year, isn't quiet the World beater that all spurs fans claimed him to be.

Every year Spurs have a new "world beater", all I'm pointing out is that it's either all premature lip service, or the player is good and then moves away from the club.

Was he?

He had about 8 or 9 loan spells before making the breakthrough at Spurs which is a little different from Alli who's broken through straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Like I said, same as Arsenal for the last 10 years. Many players were touted as future stars, few who did left the club and many faded away.

Just before we continue down this crazy road of mental, let's stop it in its tracks: Rebutt is not a word.

Such a well structured and well presented argument. Quiet the wordsmith aren't you.
    Was he?

He had about 8 or 9 loan spells before making the breakthrough at Spurs which is a little different from Alli who's broken through straight away.

LINKS

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Like I said, same as Arsenal for the last 10 years. Many players were touted as future stars, few who did left the club and many faded away.

Theo Walcott, Aaron Ramsey, Mezut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, among others all prove you are wrong with that statement. We sold many many good players during a time when we were being heavily restricted financially due to the building of a state of the art stadium, and the sale of those players has lead us through that period whilst all the time maintaining our high standards of continuously qualifying for Europe's most elite competition. We've also won the FA cup twice in that period. Spurs on the other hand have qualified for the Champions league once and won one league cup, but yes, continue if you like to fool yourself into believing that ye are the "same as Arsenal".

Spurs are a team where no truly world class player would ever aspire to play for because in global terms they're just not a big team. While Alli looks a good prospect, it's hard to give an unbiased opinion because he is doing it for Spurs who always overhype their players, and because it is his first season to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Paully D wrote: »
    I had to be "that person", but the goalkeeping really takes away from that goal for me.

A shocking effort from Hennessey who is somehow playing Premier League football.

Go way will ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Such a well structured and well presented argument. Quiet the wordsmith aren't you.

LINKS

So praise in 2 articles (one written by a spurs fan) is the same as hailing him as an England saviour. It's just standard praise for someone having a good run of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Quazzie wrote:
    Spurs are a team where no truly world class player would ever aspire to play for because in global terms they're just not a big team. While Alli looks a good prospect, it's hard to give an unbiased opinion because he is doing it for Spurs who always overhype their players, and because it is his first season to do it.

Majority of the players you mention are being hyped by the English media. Alli is 19 and Kane is 21. Years to improve to an even higher level.

I believe Ramsey was wanted out by most arsenal fans season before last before he had an excellent season.

Also, when arsenal were maintaining their high standard, there was alot of calls for Wengers head and for him to splash the cash, which we were assured there was loads of, he just didn't want to.

We all know levy likes to buy players young and usually sell for a profit and sometimes its very hard to turn down, both spurs and arsenal have had this happen them, but hopefully he'll see we've an incredibly young team and maybe we can achieve something that we haven't for a long time.

We'll have to wait and see

Majority of the players you mention are being hyped by the English media. Alli is 19 and Kane is 21. Years to improve to an even higher level.

I'm certainly not writing him off. He's making a great start to a career, and shows massive amounts of potential. All I'm saying is that I'll wait to make a more informed opinion, because his future will depend massively on what he does but even moreso what Spurs decide to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Theo Walcott, Aaron Ramsey, Mezut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, among others all prove you are wrong with that statement. We sold many many good players during a time when we were being heavily restricted financially due to the building of a state of the art stadium, and the sale of those players has lead us through that period whilst all the time maintaining our high standards of continuously qualifying for Europe's most elite competition. We've also won the FA cup twice in that period. Spurs on the other hand have qualified for the Champions league once and won one league cup, but yes, continue if you like to fool yourself into believing that ye are the "same as Arsenal".

Whatever about the first bit, just stop peddling that bit in bold. Since when are clubs responsible for the hype their player receives? The only completely over-hyped player you've mentioned so far is Townsend, and from what I remember, the majority of Spurs fans didn't really rate him that much anyway.

But every club has players that are over-rated, this is whether you think Dele Alli is or not. You're just using this thread to slate Spurs, which fair enough, many sports fans do to their rivals. But, if you wanted, and I know it sounds crazy, you could talk about Dele Alli without having to drag down the tone of the thread and trying to get one over on Spurs fans. It much actually lead to an interesting discussion.

THFC wrote: »
    But, if you wanted, and I know it sounds crazy, you could talk about Dele Alli without having to drag down the tone of the thread and trying to get one over on Spurs fans. It much actually lead to an interesting discussion.

All my posts in this thread have been about Dele Alli or a direct response to another post directed at me, so please don't accuse me of dragging down the thread, in fact it's been me who has been trying to direct it back onto the topic at hand, but some posters would rather attack me rather than debate against what I'm saying.

There are a myriad of factors that will determine what route his career will take, he has taken the first steps correctly by joining a proven PL club, but is whether he can take the next step which I doubt. I'm not saying he won't, I'm just pointing out that it's far from a certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

All my posts in this thread have been about Dele Alli or a direct response to another post directed at me, so please don't accuse me of dragging down the thread, in fact it's been me who has been trying to direct it back onto the topic at hand, but some posters would rather attack me rather than debate against what I'm saying.

:rolleyes: yet your first post was

You were clearly baiting Spurs fans and of course it worked.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    :rolleyes: yet your first post was

You were clearly baiting Spurs fans and of course it worked.
    Back seat mod and make accusations all you like but my first post and all posts since have been about Alli or in direct reply to posts directed at me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ok, lets try and actually talk about the topic of the thread from here on...

Townsend was touted as being the saviour of the English national team at one point

Link?

Whatever happens with Alli he is playing fantastically well and will probably get a start in France in the Summer. He may not turn out to be the next big thing, but he is clearly very talented and has taken every step up in his stride. There's a World of difference between him and someone like Andros Townsend who had never looked to have much about him and then exceeded everyone's expectations for while. It isn't a fair comparison at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Anyone see match of the day last night?
    Sherwoood on Alli's goal: "Ive scored one or two of them in my day" hes some clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Sherwoood on Alli's goal: "Ive scored one or two of them in my day" hes some clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That in itself is a testament to what spurs do. Frequently enough they bring in players that do a fantastic job for the club and light up the premier league. They are not big enough to hold onto the true superstars like bale and modric, so they sell them with huge profit, then they create/hire more players that fill that gap.

Chances are, Kane and delli Ali will not remain there if they continue to improve, so the big clubs will poach them, but more will come in to take their place and the cycle will continue.

As a spurs fan I am more than happy to accept that as over the years, I have witnessed plenty of exciting players play for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That in itself is a testament to what spurs do. Frequently enough they bring in players that do a fantastic job for the club and light up the premier league. They are not big enough to hold onto the true superstars like bale and modric, so they sell them with huge profit, then they create/hire more players that fill that gap.

Chances are, Kane and delli Ali will not remain there if they continue to improve, so the big clubs will poach them, but more will come in to take their place and the cycle will continue.

As a spurs fan I am more than happy to accept that as over the years, I have witnessed plenty of exciting players play for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Icaras wrote: »

Sure wasn't he getting the credit for Kane all last year as if he was he was there at his conception.
    Alli has done well but it's got to be said a lot of players in particular English have been overhyped in the past & few have amounted to much, I won't name names to avoid arguments but we all know them.
    Its been an odd season with questionable albeit entertaining quality so it's hard to judge anything long term. Last season's player of the year & PL champions have been terrible, Claudio Ranieri is for me hands down the Manager of the Year already & some of the defending by teams like City, Liverpool & many others has been appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Icaras wrote: »

To be fair he said " I've scored one or two of them in my day against people who couldn't play football"

He wasn't making out like he did it in the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

They are not big enough to hold onto the true superstars like bale and modric, so they sell them with huge profit,

In fairness to Spurs you sold them to Real Madrid, sadly there are very few clubs that can say no to them when they come looking to buy players. Arsenal and Man Utd amongst others couldn't hold onto their top players when Real Madrid and Barcelona come calling. So it's no slight against Spurs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement