Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSB St. Patrick's 5k

Options
  • 23-01-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

So, who's doing it? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

FeenaM wrote: »
    So, who's doing it? :D

I'm in! It's my target race for this spring. Great setup with the Mansion House etc. last year and it's fun legging it around the city centre.

I can't figure out the course from the map on the website, any chance of a strava/google maps link? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Haven't done this in a few years but walked down Dawson Street today and have to say the road surface and street is in a right mess with the LUAS work. I'ld wonder how much work it would take to make that area safe if it does start/finish outside the Mansion House.

The website and map indicates that it starts and finishes on St. Stephen's Green this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Singer wrote: »
    The website and map indicates that it starts and finishes on St. Stephen's Green this year.

I understood it was to be a completely different course well away from Dawson st and St. Stephen's green due to the Luas works.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Does anyone know if there is a t-shirt included for the entry fee?

It looks like there was one in previous years but I don't see it mentioned here http://www.msbac.ie/events/msb-st-patrick-s-festival-5k-race

There was one last year anyway. long sleeve T-shirt.

adrian522 wrote: »
    There was one last year anyway. long sleeve T-shirt.

Thanks. I might give it a go anyway.

Just a bit concerned that I might get caught up in the final day of the 6 Nations Rugby the day before, which might lead to less than ideal preparation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Singer wrote: »

Can't work the rest out from the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Can't work the rest out from the map

My interpretation, open to correction

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/11556980

Ah, a lap of Fitzwilliam Square, makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

There is indeed a t-shirt this year. Just finalising it at the moment :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'll be signing up for this soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

It's not worth entering unless you get a t shirt or medal?

It's not worth entering unless you get a t shirt or medal?

No harm in finding out what you get for your entry fee

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I'm considering this, it looks like it should be pretty fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Great run today. Who else was out there?

Very nice little 5K course. Much improved over previous. Great to see so many people of all ages, genders, shapes, sizes and dress sense out there. Enjoyed that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My first time doing this. So brilliantly organised by MSB, I've missed out by not doing this race previously.

The tribute to Jim Mc Namara was a lovely touch and many thanks to MSB for bringing this to us. A pity that such a large number of people were not listening to the announcer at the start of the race and as such most of the field missed the tribute. The comments from the Tallaght lads around me summed it up, but no point sullying this thread with it.

Great race, well done MSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

First family run for our house today. Fair play to MSB AC - great organisation and made feel so welcome at the Mansion House. Ran with 9yr old nephew and 6yr old son whilst Mrs D ran with our 8yr old daughter. Weather was perfect and plenty of stewards out to direct and support us. Hope to make this an annual family outing for our house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 TheMightyI

My first time doing this. So brilliantly organised by MSB, I've missed out by not doing this race previously.

The tribute to Jim Mc Namara was a lovely touch and many thanks to MSB for bringing this to us. A pity that such a large number of people were not listening to the announcer at the start of the race and as such most of the field missed the tribute. The comments from the Tallaght lads around me summed it up, but no point sullying this thread with it.

Great race, well done MSB.

In fairness, it was impossible to make out what was being said. Sound quality was very poor.

Great event though. Superbly run and a really enjoyable route. Will do it again for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

TheMightyI wrote: »
    In fairness, it was impossible to make out what was being said. Sound quality was very poor.

Great event though. Superbly run and a really enjoyable route. Will do it again for sure.

I'm sure it would have been observed better if time had been given to allow the message to travel back to the rest of the crowd. As it was, people were just hearing the ssshhing and the moment's silence was over.

First time running this race and it was superbly organised. Everything was spot on from the number collection, to the bag drop, to the warm up, to the starting on time, to the course, to the distance measurement, to the finish area, to the quick availability of the results, to the tea and biscuits after and just the general all round atmosphere of the event.

Nice one MSB :D

pity that such a large number of people were not listening to the announcer at the start of the race and as such most of the field missed the tribute.

That's an unfair and "wide of" remark. I was at the back with my little son and there was total respect. Most of the field didn't miss the tribute at all.

I had no problem hearing it and I was at the back. I heard the siren to kick off after it, no problem.

I'm sure it would have been observed better if time had been given to allow the message to travel back to the rest of the crowd. As it was, people were just hearing the ssshhing and the moment's silence was over.

There was time. it was announced there would be a minutes silence, and then came a tribute. Sound travels at 340.29 m / s at sea level. We're hardly talking a crowd of biblical proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

uvox wrote: »
    There was time. it was announced there would be a minutes silence, and then came a tribute. Sound travels at 340.29 m / s at sea level. We're hardly talking a crowd of biblical proportions.

Thanks for that. I'm aware of the speed of sound. There are other physical factors at play as well. Do you know that a sound wave doesn't travel losslesly for an infinite distance and will disspipate as it travels further from the source. Other sound waves also interfere with this sound wave and can impact the ability of the human ear to pick it up clearly.

It wasn't a minutes silence anyway, it was a moment's silence and lasted about 5-10 seconds.

What point are you trying to make anyway?

If people had just shut up, they'd have heard perfectly ;)

uvox wrote: »
    That's an unfair and "wide of" remark. I was at the back with my little son and there was total respect. Most of the field didn't miss the tribute at all.

Given the amount of people I was talking to who weren't far behind me and no where near the back, who had no idea a tribute was taking place (people from the club who would have been listening out for a tribute). The people beside me who failed to shut up despite being asked to respect the silence. I think it is fair to say most people missed it. I've seen a video from the front of the field and you can hear people chatting away up there too.
    It's not about the tribute, it's about people completely ignoring the fact that there are race instructions a minute before the start of the race. To me, it's just another case of people not caring that this is a race and there are instructions they need to listen and adhere to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If people had just shut up, they'd have heard perfectly ;)

Given the amount of people I was talking to who weren't far behind me and no where near the back, who had no idea a tribute was taking place (people from the club who would have been listening out for a tribute). The people beside me who failed to shut up despite being asked to respect the silence. I think it is fair to say most people missed it. I've seen a video from the front of the field and you can hear people chatting away up there too.
    It's not about the tribute, it's about people completely ignoring the fact that there are race instructions a minute before the start of the race. To me, it's just another case of people not caring that this is a race and there are instructions they need to listen and adhere to.

I don't know if I was one of the Tallaght athletes you refer to, RQ. I don't think I was, but even so, it's a bit unfair of you to single our club out, as if we had a reputation for being uncaring or something. I was with a half-dozen other Tallaght athletes quite close to the head of the field, and I can say quite categorically that none of us, or indeed anyone around us, had any idea there was a minute's, or a even a 'moment's', silence, until it was virtually over. The sound quality was poor, and quite simply we couldn't hear what was being said. I can say, hand on heart, this was the first race I can remember where I personally wasn't fully aware of the pre-race announcements, and take full part in same.

davedanon wrote: »
    I don't know if I was one of the Tallaght athletes you refer to, RQ. I don't think I was, but even so, it's a bit unfair of you to single our club out, as if we had a reputation for being uncaring or something. I was with a half-dozen other Tallaght athletes quite close to the head of the field, and I can say quite categorically that none of us, or indeed anyone around us, had any idea there was a minute's, or a even a 'moment's', silence, until it was virtually over. The sound quality was poor, and quite simply we couldn't hear what was being said. I can say, hand on heart, this was the first race I can remember where I personally wasn't fully aware of the pre-race announcements, and take full part in same.

You've misinterpreted me. I was praising the Tallaght lads for their comments on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The comments from the Tallaght lads around me summed it up, but no point sullying this thread with it.

In actual fact, I'd really like to know what these comments were. you are clearly implying disrespect on our part here, which I would seriously doubt.

Can you clarify? Race numbers, physical descriptions. We'll investigate and find out exactly what happened.

Advertisement