Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSB St. Patrick's 5k

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

You've misinterpreted me. I was praising the Tallaght lads for their comments on it.

Agh. I totally accept that that was what you meant, but I read back and it just reads the complete opposite. Hope you can see that. Don't do smileys, but, smileys!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's very common for pre-race instructions to be inaudible, in my experience over the last few years. Most races skimp on the PA (Raheny is an obvious exception, they tend to wire up the whole start/finish area and half the village too). A lot of races have no PA at all, just a guy with a megaphone, which is completely useless beyond a few yards (assuming there's no competing sound). So if there are important pre-race instructions, race organisers need to put the technology in place. PA hire is not expensive. It's a shame this happened yesterday, but it will continue to happen as long as simple preparations like this are not made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Murph_D wrote: »
    It's very common for pre-race instructions to be inaudible, in my experience over the last few years. Most races skimp on the PA (Raheny is an obvious exception, they tend to wire up the whole start/finish area and half the village too). A lot of races have no PA at all, just a guy with a megaphone, which is completely useless beyond a few yards (assuming there's no competing sound). So if there are important pre-race instructions, race organisers need to put the technology in place. PA hire is not expensive. It's a shame this happened yesterday, but it will continue to happen as long as simple preparations like this are not made.

I wasn't in the field but was at the start and had no issue with hearing the PA. It was very clear from where I was standing. It's a different matter when you are in the thick of it surrounded by chattering athletes. PA's are generally set up for commentary and spectators rather than athlete's so positioning of speakers for participants in start mode gets overlooked somewhat. Only issue I noticed was there was music playing over the silence. ..It's not always that easy to set up a PA depending on location, facilities and permission in some cases. I think the Raheny start/finish set up is always great but they have a lot going for them in terms of facilities, space, location, traffic volumes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Hi all,

Thanks a mil for all the feedback on the race. I have passed it on to the rest of the committee :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

davedanon wrote: »
    Agh. I totally accept that that was what you meant, but I read back and it just reads the complete opposite. Hope you can see that. Don't do smileys, but, smileys!!!!!!!
    I had already figured out in my head who the offending TAC runners were and had already removed them from my Christmas card list. Probably easier just to keep them off it.

The smiley button is just over here
    > :)

• Advertisement

FeenaM wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks a mil for all the feedback on the race. I have passed it on to the rest of the committee :-)

Really enjoyed the race, nice course, and flat, however after the race when I went to pick up the top, after having received the number in the post, there were only small or xsmall sizes available, pity because it's one of the nicer tops I've seen in a while.

There were 29 Tallaght athletes in the race. Apparently there was a large drop in the crime rate elsewhere in the city over the weekend. But a massive cache of empty cans of Dutch Gold in St. Stephen's green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Murph_D wrote: »

It was the same story in Clane on Sunday morning...I wasn't even that far back and could only catch parts of the pre-race instructions. There was also a minutes / moments silence (not sure what for, may have also been for Jim McNamara) but people just couldn't hear and the music that had been playing for the warm up etc kept playing for most of it...seems like a common issue like you say, and the bigger the field the harder it is to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

davedanon wrote: »
    There were 29 Tallaght athletes in the race. Apparently there was a large drop in the crime rate elsewhere in the city over the weekend. But a massive cache of empty cans of Dutch Gold in St. Stephen's green.
    These accusations are completely unfounded and quite disrespectful. Please retain from using the word 'athletes' in this context in future.
    ;)

Anyway, we've sullied this thread quite enough. Glad to see the race was of the appropriate length on this occasion. Some very strong runs by the Sli Cualann athletes. Sorry To have to miss out on this one this year.

Did I see Chairman Coughlan in the centre of the start line? Lucky he didn't get trampled!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did I see Chairman Coughlan in the centre of the start line? Lucky he didn't get trampled!

Coughlan ran this year...my only saving grace was that I beat him :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought I passed him after a mile or so. Never thought to sledge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Did you mean that guy Eamonn Coghlan? I thought he was famous enough to get his name right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Racman wrote: »
    Did you mean that guy Eamonn Coghlan? I thought he was famous enough to get his name right.

To my credit, I only saw him from behind but I did think 'What's this auld lad doing right at the front of the race' :D. I'd have been mortified if I'd said something to him :eek:

Advertisement