Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my phone hacked?

• 24-01-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Location services on my phone are randomly telling me I'm in Newmarket-on-fergus. Clicked Google maps location and it takes me to some sh!tty apartment block near shannon airport. I live on the opposite side of the country and am nowhere near this place.Is my phone potentially hacked and what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Move there to resolve the inconsistency?

(with apologies for the unhelpful comment but I couldn't help myself :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

DKmac wrote: »
    Location services on my phone are randomly telling me I'm in Newmarket-on-fergus. Clicked Google maps location and it takes me to some sh!tty apartment block near shannon airport. I live on the opposite side of the country and am nowhere near this place.Is my phone potentially hacked and what should I do?

It could be many things - including a defect in the phone's GPS system. Normally a phone takes in location data from a number of sources - WiFi location (thanks to Google snooping of WiFi Mac addresses while driving all over the world to take pictures of every street), info from your mobile cellsite and GPS. Maybe there is a bug in the location software on the phone. You don't state what make/model phone. Have you updated the firmware recently? I can't see what benefit the average hacker would get from telling you that you are in a location that you clearly are not in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

DKmac wrote: »

I don't think there's too much to worry about. I've a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it tells me I've been to places of a day, that I've not been near. In fairness these places are reasonably local (within 5-10KM), but it's never that accurate.

For example, I took my dogs for an hour long walk today, approximately 7KM away from my house, and the only place it showed me going to was my local village 2KM away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Madness imho to keep 'please build up a comprehensive record of my movements for the authorities' turned on.

If you really must use it for a specific purpose then turn it off straight afterwards. If nothing else it wastes battery.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sounds like you've your GPS set up to save battery so its probably just using your data to locate you. Can be awful inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

You may have an option to choose the accuracy of your location services.

It may be set at low or something along that lines. It may be resolved by setting it to high.

I don't imagine your phone has been hacked as remote access of your phone would not make your phone believe it has been moved.

Advertisement