Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leicester

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Hopefully they keep it up and win the title or at least take a CL spot. Refreshing to see

I can't see them NOT getting a CL spot. 13 points clear of a current poor United Side.

Leicester have some relatively easy fixtures to get the points need.

To sick to try work out an average. But I'd say 65ish would be more than enough. So that's 12 points in 13 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

One thing which should hopefully help Leicester is the fact that they can concentrate on the league while likes of City will have a lot more games till seasons end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

After the arsenal game Leicester have an unbelievable run of 9 fixtures with 6 home games out of 9. Newcastle wba Sunderland Swansea palace west ham Watford southampton Norwich.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

tfer wrote: »
    I'm a leeds fan for over 50 years, we haven't had much to cheer for in a long time and the pl was getting very boring, I am cheering your team on every week, they are playing fantastic football and I really do hope they win the title, as are many neutrals

I agree, and not just because I'm a Leeds fan too. :) I think it's great to see another team in contention because it's boring looking at the same teams winning every season. There used to be a lot more variety in who won the league even relatively recently. That's gone out the window, mainly due to the amount of money that the bigger teams make these days. It's nearly impossible to imagine the likes of Derby, Nottingham Forest or Blackburn winning the league these days, but it's not that long ago that they all did. Looking at the old first division and EPL by decade, it's clear to see that the power has been concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. In the 1960s 8 different teams won the old First Division, including a different team every year for 6 years running (7 if you also include the last season of the 50s). However the last 16 leagues have been split between just 4 clubs. So to see a smaller team breaking up that party gives everyone else a little hope that they too can get their shot at glory (well OK, not Leeds, there are bigger problems there to be sorted out before we can think of winning leagues!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Baring an enormous collapse they are banker for champions league football next season, that in itself is a monumental achievement.

It's fairytale stuff, I hope they go onto to win it but there is a huge mental barrier to winning the league for the first time. I think they will do it as they aren't under any pressure or expectations like Chelsea, city, Arsenal, United or liverpool are. Leicester started this season hoping to stay up, everything else is a bonus.

I think the only team that can stop Leicester are spurs. They have consistently and quietly climbed up the table into 2nd, it's time they were taken seriously as challengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's probably going to seem a little grouchy and not very popular view but I'd honestly prefer Spurs or Arsenal to win the league than Leicester.

At least they've been in contention at the top end of the table for a while and have served their time somewhat and have a number of genuine top class players in their ranks.Seeing the likes of Wes Morgan,Danny Simpson etc winning a league almost diminishes the achievement as I think winning any top league should be preserved to genuine greatness and although Leicester are playing brilliantly it is clearly both a complete freak year from them and a down year in the quality of the league.

It's a bit like if Mayo ended up playing Leitrim in an all Ireland final (no chance of that happening) I'd much rather see Mayo win because they have been close in the past rather than a one off fluke winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's probably going to seem a little grouchy and not very popular view but I'd honestly prefer Spurs or Arsenal to win the league than Leicester.

At least they've been in contention at the top end of the table for a while and have served their time somewhat and have a number of genuine top class players in their ranks.Seeing the likes of Wes Morgan,Danny Simpson etc winning a league almost diminishes the achievement as I think winning any top league should be preserved to genuine greatness and although Leicester are playing brilliantly it is clearly both a complete freak year from them and a down year in the quality of the league.

It's a bit like if Mayo ended up playing Leitrim in an all Ireland final (no chance of that happening) I'd much rather see Mayo win because they have been close in the past rather than a one off fluke winner.

The premier league is 38 games from each team. If they win, they bloody well deserve it. Flash in the pan or not. This is exactly what the PL needs. The so called top teams have been awful in Europe for quite a while, so there is no need for any team to fear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Don't see how it diminished anything - they are ther on merit , the embodiment of team spirit , which has been sort of lacking recently in professional soccer with teams buying the league ala City or Chelsea- if you want greatness look at Mahrez , best player right now in the premiership.

The premier league is 38 games from each team. If they win, they bloody well deserve it. Flash in the pan or not. This is exactly what the PL needs. The so called top teams have been awful in Europe for quite a while, so there is no need for any team to fear them.

Obviously they will deserve it if they win it but I think the other teams would have more players deserving of getting their hands on a winners medal as a validation of their careers than Leicester have.

If it was similar situation as 2013-2014 and it was Leicester in competition with Liverpool I'd have wanted Liverpool to win for the likes of Gerrard and Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's a mad point of view in fairness. You can't fluke a league title. If Leicester win the league, it's because they'll have been the best team in England over the course of the season. In fact, they've been one of the best teams in England during the calendar year 2015 and they're continuing that form in 2016.

I'd absolutely love for Leicester to win the league and if it happened, it would give other clubs something to think about, a belief that it's not impossible. It's be a breath of fresh air.

I still don't think they'll win it, mind. I think they'll just fall short. But they've pretty much guaranteed Champions League football for themselves for next season and even that in itself would be a remarkable achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Leicester have 53 points after round 25

A little fact. After round 25 last season, Chelsea only needed 53 points to be top of the league.
    Every year they go on about how it seems nobody wants to win it.
    Every year they tell us this is an outlier season
    Every year they're wrong!

Also I don't remember anyone saying at the start of the 2007/2008 season that they hope Man Utd don't win the title in case somone unworthy in their squad like Danny Simpson were to get a winners medal

Laois_Man wrote: »

A little fact. After round 25 last season, Chelsea only needed 53 points to be top of the league.

Also I don't remember anyone saying at the start of the 2007/2008 season that they hope Man Utd don't win the title in case somone unworthy in their squad like Danny Simpson were to get a winners medal

He didn't get a winners medal for that, he only played in 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He didn't get a winners medal for that, he only played in 3 games.

I didn't say he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Obviously they will deserve it if they win it but I think the other teams would have more players deserving of getting their hands on a winners medal as a validation of their careers than Leicester have.

If it was similar situation as 2013-2014 and it was Leicester in competition with Liverpool I'd have wanted Liverpool to win for the likes of Gerrard and Suarez.

One of the most pathetic posts Ive ever seen, no one deserves a league medal even Suarez and Gerrard, I hope your seriously just trying to wind everyone up, a lazy attempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fluke? How exactly do you fluke a 38 game, 9 month long competition?

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    One of the most pathetic posts Ive ever seen, no one deserves a league medal even Suarez and Gerrard, I hope your seriously just trying to wind everyone up, a lazy attempt

I said I would prefer if something happened.I have no influence on anything and I am not going to deliberately try and stifle Leicesters attempt to win.

I doubt I am the only person who has held similar views about a sport or players involved in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I said I would prefer if something happened.I have no influence on anything and I am not going to deliberately try and stifle Leicesters attempt to win.

I doubt I am the only person who has held similar views about a sport or players involved in sport.

Honestly you are, that season for Suarez was his first proper season in a big league, all he was known for was his mis demeanours what made him worth a title that Mahrez and Vardy isnt.
    Its great for sport not just football to see Leicester do well

astonaidan wrote: »
    Honestly you are, that season for Suarez was his first proper season in a big league, all he was known for was his mis demeanours what made him worth a title that Mahrez and Vardy isnt.
    Its great for sport not just football to see Leicester do well

In fairness I'm not.

Loads of people wanted Portugal to beat Greece in the European Championships in 2004.

There are lots of people who want Denver to win the Superbowl tonight because of Peyton Manning despite him already having won one and Denver having won 2 Superbowls already while Carolina and Cam Newton have never won one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Gwan Leicester!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Would love to see them do it but like probably most others, think they'll come up short. Not sure many fully believe they really will go all the way and that probably includes the Leicester players. It's a bit of a strange situation they find themselves in that if they "only" get CL football, it'll nearly only be seen as a second prize!

Arsenal next weekend will be huge. If they can get out of there with even a draw it'll be a great result. There are some very winnable games after that against the basement dwelling sides they'd be expecting to beat. But that also poses the question - how will they cope in those games where they are fully expected to win and the pressure of Arsenal/City/Spurs breathing down their necks? I'd hate to see them do all the hard work of getting big results v Liverpool, City, Arsenal but then blow it against West Brom or Norwich at home, for example.

5 points is a nice lead but certainly nothing the teams just behind them couldn't reel in. It's a pity they didn't go on to win those 2 games before Christmas where, if I recall correctly, Mahrez missed two penalties and I think they drew both, they'd be 9pts sitting pretty now.
    They're still only 2 or 3 poor results from throwing it away but the momentum they've built up seems to be pulling them in the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think that the they will win it this year. Like Liverpool in 2014, it is probably their only chance. with the CL next year, it will really stretch their squad, teams will be ready for them as well.

Look at their rivals. Spurs are still in the Europa, and struggle in the games after the European games. They also still have to play the normal contenders for the top four (and Liverpool).

Arsenal are... Well arsenal. if they were the only team in the league, they would still manage to mess it up. They still have a chance mind, and have been known to go on massive winning runs.

Man city are the world's greatest team one week, the world s worst the next. Their game against spurs will be huge, and what they have over the others is , they know HOW to win it. That is vital.

After next weekend they will be finished with all the other top 4 sides and have at least a 2 pt lead. No European or domestic cup games. 7 home games and 5 away games. It couldn't be set up any better for them. If all else fails it's a 12 pt lead on Utd now so it will take an almighty collapse for them to miss top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I've said if they're still on top after Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal they gonna do it. And they came out and got 6 points from the first two of those. Guaranteed to hold top spot even if they actually lost at the Emirates. Big 'if' that is.

They're having a massive run of mostly lower half of the table teams following that, 6 out of the next 9 at home, too, I believe.

So yes, they're going to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I've said if they're still on top after Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal they gonna do it. And they came out and got 6 points from the first two of those. Guaranteed to hold top spot even if they actually lost at the Emirates. Big 'if' that is.

They're having a massive run of mostly lower half of the table teams following that, 6 out of the next 9 at home, too, I believe.

So yes, they're going to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Would love to see them do it but history suggests that teams who find themselves in a title race for the first time tend not to know how to grind it out when it comes to the last 7 or 8 games, they don't cope with the pressure.

Utd (last first division title race), Aston Villa, Newcastle, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool have all found themselves in title races over the past 20+ years and couldn't see it thru at the first time of asking (or sometimes the second/third time in Liverpool's case tho it was different teams each time)

The pressure is immense and bigger teams than Leicester have crumbled. I hope they do it but it'll be interesting to see how they handle 'squeaky bum time'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

kfallon wrote: »
    Would love to see them do it but history suggests that teams who find themselves in a title race for the first time tend not to know how to grind it out when it comes to the last 7 or 8 games, they don't cope with the pressure.

Utd (last first division title race), Aston Villa, Newcastle, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool have all found themselves in title races over the past 20+ years and couldn't see it thru at the first time of asking (or sometimes the second/third time in Liverpool's case tho it was different teams each time)

The pressure is immense and bigger teams than Leicester have crumbled. I hope they do it but it'll be interesting to see how they handle 'squeaky bum time'

I'd tend to agree, however, this is a team that has just taken apart Liverpool and City (who were favorites before the game) with relative ease.

Least we not forget they have an EXTREMELY experienced manager who seems to have all his players with their feet firmly on the ground. I just hope to god they can do it, would absolutely be fantastic for the league.

He's had massive amounts of luck in terms of injury which you need when your squad is as light as his, but his first 11 have played the best football in the league by a distance, his front four are simply breathtaking to watch and Marhez is just top class.

If they get a win against Arsenal next week then they will go 6 clear no matter what way the City / Spurs game goes.

That's a big gap in February especially when the likes of Arsenal who are meant to be serious contenders have 1 win in 5. City look dreadful, they really were blessed to get a result against Sunderland. Spurs look fantastic and IMO will push them the closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hope they get CL football just to see what their transfer activity will be like. How much of an attraction will they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

kfallon wrote: »

Leicester have come from nowhere though, even if it goes down to the wire no one will expect them to win it. They don't have any pressure on them, its in massive contrast to say Liverpool in 13/14, a team who 25 years ago dominated English football and have been dying to win a title since. Pressure on the manager and local players like Gerrard was immense and one way or another it was too much and they buckled.

They will blow lackluster teams like City and Liverpool away, its when they come up against a well organized side, will they have the know how to pick up a result.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hope they get CL football just to see what their transfer activity will be like. How much of an attraction will they be?

Don't think it will make much of a difference. Liverpool got top 4 and a huge fee for suarez and didn't sign anybody that only came because of CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Laois_Man wrote: »

Wrong, after 25 games, Chelsea had 59pts.

P25, W18, D5, L2, GF55, GA21, GD34, Pts 59

Leicesters record is very impressive though.

P25 W15, D8, L2, GF47, GA27, GD20, Pts 53

City in 2014/25 at this stage were 2nd on 52 pts, with a near identical record to Leicesters current one which shows ya how well theyve done, I dont think many people would begrudge them a title and they way theyve played and the results theyve got, they deserve it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In fairness I'm not.

Loads of people wanted Portugal to beat Greece in the European Championships in 2004.

Did you notice a difference the way Leicester play and the way that Greek team played? That's another reason people want Leicester to win, some brilliant counter attacking goals, not relying on all out defend and nicking one from a set piece.
    Also, cup football can be a lottery, win 4 cup games in a row and you're champions, you can even draw all 4 nil nil and win each on penos. Can't do that in a league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wrong, after 25 games, Chelsea had 59pts.

P25, W18, D5, L2, GF55, GA21, GD34, Pts 59

thats not what he said.

he said they only needed 53 points to be top of the league, which is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

thats not what he said.

he said they only needed 53 points to be top of the league, which is correct.

Indeed it is, I read it wrong.

Carry on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Leceister winning the league would be a remarkable sporting achievement both for the club and English football. It'd be a victory for sport over money, a battle the sport has really been losing since the PL took off commercially.

I would love to see them win it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

It would have to be the greatest achievement in this history of sport, let alone football, If they won it? I'm struggling to think of anything that compares to it. I think Forrest came up from the old second division to win it , but given the money that's in the game now I think this would be a far greater achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It would have to be the greatest achievement in this history of sport, let alone football, If they won it? I'm struggling to think of anything that compares to it. I think Forrest came up from the old second division to win it , but given the money that's in the game now I think this would be a far greater achievement.

Greece in 2004 and that's about it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Did you notice a difference the way Leicester play and the way that Greek team played? That's another reason people want Leicester to win, some brilliant counter attacking goals, not relying on all out defend and nicking one from a set piece.
    Also, cup football can be a lottery, win 4 cup games in a row and you're champions, you can even draw all 4 nil nil and win each on penos. Can't do that in a league.

But it doesn't change my point that people have often wanted more favoured or bigger teams to win over underdogs or less traditionally successful teams.

Remember Greece would have had to qualify for that tournament as well over a 2 year period, so it consisted of 2 years of high performance level.They finished ahead of Spain in the Qualifying stages for Euro 2004.

Leicester are having a freak year it probably won't happen again for them and I'd prefer if a team who have contended at the top level but not quiet got there to win over a club having a freak year.

I'm sure loads of people would prefer if Colin Montgomerie,Lee Westwood Luke Donald etc had won major championships ahead of the likes of Todd Hamilton,Shaun Micheel,Rich Beem etc players who had freak weeks of excellence but didn't really do anything of note throughout their careers rather than consistent top class performers who just fell short at majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

But it doesn't change my point that people have often wanted more favoured or bigger teams to win over underdogs or less traditionally successful teams.

Remember Greece would have had to qualify for that tournament as well over a 2 year period, so it consisted of 2 years of high performance level.They finished ahead of Spain in the Qualifying stages for Euro 2004.

Leicester are having a freak year it probably won't happen again for them and I'd prefer if a team who have contended at the top level but not quiet got there to win over a club having a freak year.

I'm sure loads of people would prefer if Colin Montgomerie,Lee Westwood Luke Donald etc had won major championships ahead of the likes of Todd Hamilton,Shaun Micheel,Rich Beem etc players who had freak weeks of excellence but didn't really do anything of note throughout their careers rather than consistent top class performers who just fell short at majors.

So many things wrong with this :

1) You're assuming people only wanted Portugal to win because they were a bigger team. Not because they played better football etc.

2) Qualifying for a tournament can hardly be considered the same consistency as playing a League. You're stretching there.

3) Comparing Football to a 3 day golf tournament? My god, you're seriously stretching there. I don't watch much golf, but even on the basis of the argument it's ridiculous. Different Weather different days effecting all sorts. It's an outrageous comparision.

I don't have a problem that you don't want Leicester to win the league. I personally do. I'd rather Leicester then Arsenal then City.

Leicester and Spurs have been the only consistent teams this season and either or deserve the title IMO.

I don't think Spurs deserve it any more because they've finished top half more times than Leicester ffs.

So many things wrong with this :

1) You're assuming people only wanted Portugal to win because they were a bigger team. Not because they played better football etc.

2) Qualifying for a tournament can hardly be considered the same consistency as playing a League. You're stretching there.

3) Comparing Football to a 3 day golf tournament? My god, you're seriously stretching there. I don't watch much golf, but even on the basis of the argument it's ridiculous. Different Weather different days effecting all sorts. It's an outrageous comparision.

I don't have a problem that you don't want Leicester to win the league. I personally do. I'd rather Leicester then Arsenal then City.

Leicester and Spurs have been the only consistent teams this season and either or deserve the title IMO.

I don't think Spurs deserve it any more because they've finished top half more times than Leicester ffs.

A lot of people wanted Portugal to win because they wanted Luis Figo and Rui Costa to win a major international tournament after so many years of not doing it.

It takes a degree of consistency to qualify for any tournament particularity as qualify is spread over close to 2 years.

Not really an outrageous comparison.It proves my point that some people like seeing players who made more of an overall contribution over a long period of time to get their rewards than a one off performance.Winning a golf tournament is over 4 days and consists of taking 270-280 shots so it requires a degree of consistency.

• Advertisement

I don't get you.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United and Spurs are all up there because they have te resources to be up there. That's all it is, resources. Take that one element away from any of them and they'd be no where near.

Leicester have overcome that. They're not competing because of their resources, they're competing inspite of them. Theis is real a sporting team against a sporting business.

With a fraction of the resources, they're competing at the top. Surely thats more deserving of accolade than a rich club playing the bride's maid for a few years before winning it.

A rich club will probably win it, that's predictible. A Leicester win though, to bastardise a Joey the Lips Fagan quote, that would be poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Greece in 2004 and that's about it.
    You could argue that winning the Euros with Greece was not even their manager's greatest achievement.

To call Leicester winning the league the greatest achievement in the history of sport would be ridiculous. Many people have achieved many things!

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't get you.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United and Spurs are all up there because they have te resources to be up there. That's all it is, resources. Take that one element away from any of them and they'd be no where near.

Leicester have overcome that. They're not competing because of their resources, they're competing inspite of them. Theis is real a sporting team against a sporting business.

With a fraction of the resources, they're competing at the top. Surely thats more deserving of accolade than a rich club playing the bride's maid for a few years before winning it.

A rich club will probably win it, that's predictible. A Leicester win though, to bastardise a Joey the Lips Fagan quote, that would be poetry

Maybe I should rephrase.Leicesters players are having a freak year.There are so many truly mediocre players in their team that are going through a great spell.I'd prefer to see genuine top class players win rather than players going through a great spell but not having done much apart from that get a league winners medal.Arsenal and Spurs will probably not have this chance in the future either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The only team that "deserves" the title is the one on top at the end after the full 38 games are played. How many teams have we seen leading at this stage only to be pipped by the likes of Man Utd in the past? e.g. Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal a few times....

Maybe I should rephrase.Leicesters players are having a freak year.There are so many truly mediocre players in their team that are going through a great spell.I'd prefer to see genuine top class players win rather than players going through a great spell but not having done much apart from that get a league winners medal.Arsenal and Spurs will probably not have this chance in the future either.

**** them would be my opinion, they'll win plenty in their careers

I'd rather see an average player playing out of his skin end up with a medal than a world beater playing at 80% of his ability win it.

Anyone with a few quid can assemble a team of world beaters. Very few could assemble a team that can do what Leicester are doing. After all, it's a team game, **** the individuals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You could argue that winning the Euros with Greece was not even their manager's greatest achievement.

To call Leicester winning the league the greatest achievement in the history of sport would be ridiculous. Many people have achieved many things!
    What would compare to it? I'm struggling to think of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

You really have to look at it from the standpoint of the start of the season. I strongly doubt that even the most devout of Leicester fans, never mind neutrals or prediction experts, would have given Leicester a snowball's chance in hell of winning the league.

Taking further into consideration the money in the game and the financial and footballing dominance of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea over even big European clubs in their own right like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool over the last 10 years, and the fact that Leicester were extremely close to relegation last season in their first season in the league since 03/04, all suggests that this would easily be in contention for the greatest team sporting achievement of all time. Certainly in the game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sorry but that's bollox...Leicester are playing out of their skin and showing the other clubs how to do it. They don't have the skills of Messi or Ronaldo but at the end of the day it's the "team" that tops the league that deserves it the most.
    Not the best player but the best team.
    Arsenal have great players but can you honestly call them a great team?
    Not since the days of Berkamp/Henry/Anelka/Vieri etc.
    And I agree with the above poster.In this day and age of hundreds of millions spent by the likes of Man U,Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City it will be an incredible achievement for Leicester to win it.
    The only other sports I think could compare would be boxing or the NFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Best comparison you could make when it comes to Leicester is Montpeilier coming out of nowhere in France about 4 years ago to win the title despite Moncao and PSG having millions and the traditional heavyweights Lyon and Marseille in there too

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I genuinely cannot fathom how any neutral could not be cheering for Leicester.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Blazer wrote: »
    They don't have the skills of Messi or Ronaldo
    Mahrez does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement