Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth whitening tips? I have questions...

Options
  • 24-01-2016 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

I'm going on holidays on 1st February and I'd love to have more confidence in my smile before I go.

I've never had teeth whitened before and I wonder if I should or can now?
    Is instant laser worthwhile before going on holidays (or do I have to be a good girl after getting it done re drinks?)
    Online searches seem to recommend gel trays for two weeks. Is this better for the patient?
    What price is a rip off?
    What price is just too good to be true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

I got trays and gel from my dentist. It wasn't cheap but I felt that dealing with a professional was the safest option. It was about 250 a few years ago.
    Whatever option you choose there can be a problem with sensitivity/pain after whitening. I'd recommend using a toothpaste to help combat that for at least a few days before the treatment (I use Sensodyne).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Regardless of what method you use isn't it taking a layer of enamel off?

My Indian friends all swear by coconut oil pulling, i.e. 1 tablespoon of coconut oil swilled around the mouth for 20 mins then spit it out. I must say their teeth all look amazingly white but I can't keep it in my mouth for that long, I lose patience or I choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

DOUBLE POST - SORRY!

What am I doing wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

<SNIP>

MOD EDIT: Please consult with your dentist before undertaking any self-whitening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I use crest strips and find them brilliant - I use the five minute ones as I have sensitive teeth. I buy them from the UK on ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

I can't advise on whitening but as far as I know, most dentists will give custom trays with a solution and don't actually do whitening in the surgery. And then after that, you might have to avoid tea, coffee, etc

All that could be restrictive and time consuming when you're on holidays in a matter of days so I think your best bet would be to get a scale and polish in the dentist before you go. I'm always amazed at the difference a proper clean makes

Advertisement