Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer stalking without a moderator.

Options
  • 24-01-2016 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

As per title, do any of ye shoot deer without a moderator? My old T8 is snookered and the cost of replacing it is €300+
    I only shoot 2 or 3 deer a season and don't use the .243 for foxing at night anymore. I stalk rough ground and I'm thinking the less weight on my shoulder the better. Am I wrong? Should I just bite the bullet and replace it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Shoot away without it, the deer won't notice the difference.
    But use ear plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I use a .270win with a muzzel break and shoot on average 10-12 deer a year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For the last few years i've gone deer stalking without a suppressor. The first time is was because the new gun was not threaded, but since then i've found i don't really need it.

We all know the benefits of a suppressor. Recoil reduction, reduction of heard shot, ability to stay on target, quicker follow up shot, etc. Considering i only fire the one shot (fingers crossed :D) a lot of these were not an issue.

My Father still uses his but he is pushing on and any advantage is a help. Plus i'll use the mod on the rifle when foxing, etc where i'm trying to remain quieter, and looking for another shot. With deer when i get the one i'm done for the day.

So i'd say work away for now without one, and when you're in a better position to get another then go for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I shoot a fairly light set up and found the Mod to be a benefit (as covered by Cass) in relation to recoil management etc. and is a good bit of kit on some of my permissions that have livestock.
    In my experience with open hill shooting I think thier not required in relation to stealth as the animals settle down quickly after the initial shot. So different horses for different courses, I carry one in the woods and on the farms, but now leave it at home for hill shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

All my shooting is mountain shooting, with a scattering of privately owned plantations across it. I think I will give it a go this weekend without it and see how I get on.

I recently zero'd the rifle so when i remove the mod will I need to zero again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Kiltris wrote: »
    All my shooting is mountain shooting, with a scattering of privately owned plantations across it. I think I will give it a go this weekend without it and see how I get on.

I recently zero'd the rifle so when i remove the mod will I need to zero again?

You might be lucky and not have to zero it but I wouldn't count on it. Usually they have to be rezeroed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My one will keep the same POI with or without the Mod. But you'll need to put some rounds on paper to confirm it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye check zero to be sure.
    I recently took my mod of and think the gun is savage without it. I'll be shooting away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Trying to find a tidy set of ear plugs will be the thing now. I'm not going to go stalking with them in permanently so I might just bring disposable ones and stick one into my ear if a shot presents itself (& if I have time)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have and use several pairs of these, I find them comfortable to wear out hunting and on the shooting range

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 alan270

My stalking rifle is a 300win mag with out a mod she is loud when u shoot it but it don't bother me when ur aim is on a red stag

Advertisement