Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyers...

Options
  • 24-01-2016 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

This is the most relevant forum i found on Boards...so i hope its ok to post this here.

My partner and I are looking to buy our first house. We have mortgage approval, know our budget and where we want a house. We also know what type of house we want - an older house with a bit of "character". We will have an engineer/surveyor check the house before handing over any money.

I would be so grateful for ANY nuggets of advice people could offer - no matter how small, how random or whatever part of the process of buying a house it relates to.

Its really a jungle for first time buyers. its overwhelming!

Comments

I've bought and sold twice so off the top of my head...

Can you comfortably pay mortgage on one income?
    You've budgeted for life insurance, home insurance etc?
    Location, location, location. If you think you may have kids some day, check out local schools, both primary and secondary. In my area of Dublin places in decent schools are much sought after and limited to those in catchment area only. It may not seem an issue now but could be a major headache down the line if kids are in your future plans.
    Flood risk? Any planning permissions sought or granted in the area for development that could change the traffic flow, population?
    When you're viewing houses look beyond the decor. Which can be hard! Check out things like boilers, radiators, windows. A house with character is great, but expensive if that character includes necessary renovations.
    Off street parking? Is that important for you?
    For me, the aspect of the house was important. I walked away from viewings when I saw the house was north facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Don,t buy a house too close to a large council housing block,
    a house 40 years old ,will need a survey,maybe rewiring needed ,
    A house that needs a bit of work or empty, may be cheaper .
    eg owner passed away.
    House with old furniture,old kitchen maybe cheaper .
    Sometime small cottages ,one storey houses are for sale 600ft or less .
    Tend to be cheaper than a 3bed house .
    put ad in buy and sell house wanted , older house .
    look on gumtree,buy and sell not just on daft.ie for house for sale ads .
    i presume you mean older house, not a semi d .
    go to google,ie type house for sale dublin 2 ,dublin 8 etc
    not everyone uses agents ,some people use free websites or put ads in northside people
    house for sale

A house that has needs renovation tends to be cheaper than a standard semi d with a new fitted kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

1) Establish a very open and positive communicating relationship with all the estate agent(s) in the town you wish to purchase in as a priority.
    2) Don't set your hopes on the first site you bid on, keep each contract and viewing process clinical until the deeds are signed and locks are changed. In fact keep all emotions away on holiday until the property is yours outright.
    3) Watch out for leasehold sites, get your solicitor to verify the deeds before any money is exchanged.
    4) Also just because the house doesn't have a "for sale" sign outside on the gate pillar doesn't mean it's not for sale, ask around people near where you're looking and see if someone is considering selling in the near future. Those sales are the sweetest and can run much smoother than an openly advertised sale. Again revert to point 1 & 2!

Advertisement