Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Castlebar

• 24-01-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, moving to Castlebar shortly and wondering what the broadband options are and any pointers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PARlance wrote: »
    Hi, moving to Castlebar shortly and wondering what the broadband options are and any pointers?

any amount of them,
    fibre to the home in most estates if your looking for top of the range with eircom only.

fibre to the cabinet also available up to 100meg if your close to the cabinets. the locations can be checked here.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

mobile broadband 4g on the 3 network anyway.

westnet.

All depends where your basing yourself and what you plan to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

irishgeo wrote: »
    any amount of them,
    fibre to the home in most estates if your looking for top of the range with eircom only.

fibre to the cabinet also available up to 100meg if your close to the cabinets. the locations can be checked here.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

mobile broadband 4g on the 3 network anyway.

westnet.

All depends where your basing yourself and what you plan to do.

Thanks Irishgeo, moving into Rossmor and the neatest cabinet seems to be Rathbawn Rd, presume that's close enough?
    Am on a VF work phone.

Another question Geo if you don't mind. Are those connectors the same thing as SIRO (the VF & ESB) collaboration that was announced to roll out in Cbar last year?

Thanks Irishgeo, moving into Rossmor and the neatest cabinet seems to be Rathbawn Rd, presume that's close enough?
    Am on a VF work phone.

Thats a bit away, anything over 500M you will struggle to get a decent speed.they might have installed more cabs but are not on the map
    Another question Geo if you don't mind. Are those connectors the same thing as SIRO (the VF & ESB) collaboration that was announced to roll out in Cbar last year?
    No that hasnt rolled out in castlebar yet. Its plain broadband as sold by eircom, vodafone, sky etc.

Eircom also sell FTTH which might be your best bet if your not renting the house.

SIRO is FTTH also but hasnt launched in castlebar and judging by the snails pace of the rollout it will be a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Rossmore is off the Pontoon Rd. There are cabinets at the entrance and these are Eir's effort at fibre. Up to 100mbps available, and if you go with Eir, they will set your profile at 50/20. Also be aware that there are very few estates with FTTH.The vast majority are FTTC. In fairness to Eir they have got the finger out. 15-20 mbps were the norm 18-24 months ago.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

irishgeo wrote: »
    any amount of them,
    Which estates, have you some examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Even if it does arrive it could take up to two years, there was a fibre cabinet installed beside my house over a year ago and it is still not active, the eta is for another 6 months wait.

It is quite scattered around Castlebar, half the town centre does not have fibre, but most estates do, except for some on the outskirts.

Which estates, have you some examples?

mine anyway out the westport rd. I assume all the ones around the ringroad and across the road from the exchange, beyond that i dont know.

I dont work for eircom but i assumed most of the estates were done.

havent enet dug up half the town centre sticking in their business broadband as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

We just moved into curradrish road and Eir were able to set me up with a 100MB fibre line. It's going to be very interesting to see what type of service it is. I've been with UPC for the last ten years but I've gotten so sick of their service that I decided it was time for a change.

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    We just moved into curradrish road and Eir were able to set me up with a 100MB fibre line. It's going to be very interesting to see what type of service it is. I've been with UPC for the last ten years but I've gotten so sick of their service that I decided it was time for a change.

upc in castlebar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

No sorry! I've just moved from galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

According to the Fiber Roll Out Map for Castlebar:

"7150 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband with 900 premises able to access 1000Mb/s fibre broadband."

You can see the map and where the fibre cabinets are. The closer you are the closer to getting the 100Mb/s speed. I've no idea where the 900 premises are that have the 1000Mb/s besides the Hospital and GMIT Campus but presume its along some of the main roads with the blue fibre in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

According to the Fiber Roll Out Map for Castlebar:

"7150 premises in this exchange can now access up to 100Mb/s fibre broadband with 900 premises able to access 1000Mb/s fibre broadband."

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

You can see the map and where the fibre cabinets are. The closer you are the closer to getting the 100Mb/s speed. I've no idea where the 900 premises are that have the 1000Mb/s besides the Hospital and GMIT Campus but presume its along some of the main roads with the blue fibre in them.

Asmodean wrote: »

Just wondering how long you were waiting for an installation?
    All the providers are saying 2 weeks but eir were fairly confident they could get it sooner.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone in the know on the fibre broadband speeds in Blackfort Manor on the Newport road?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone in the know on the fibre broadband speeds in Blackfort Manor on the Newport road?

There is a fibre cab at the top of the hill on the main newort road just before your turn, less than a quarter mile away so I wold expect you'd get good speeds there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is a fibre cab at the top of the hill on the main newort road just before your turn, less than a quarter mile away so I wold expect you'd get good speeds there.

Thanks. Yeah I spotted that on the map, I'm just concerned as when I put in address on the eir website it gives me different speeds back. The three house numbers I tried brought back 7mb, 12mb and 50mb respectively which seems odd to me considering the proximety of the cabinet. The house I'll be likely moving into is 7mb one of course :o

I shouldn't be surprised I suppose, I currently live about 50 metres(if that) from a live cabinet elsewhere in the town and can't get fibre at all.

Lived there for a good while, the speeds are grand, but the line drops a lot and it was not isolated to my house, still happens.

Xenji wrote: »
    Lived there for a good while, the speeds are grand, but the line drops a lot and it was not isolated to my house, still happens.

Cheers, yeah that seems to be standard with Eircom unfortunately. so you reckon those speeds the website was giving me aren't wholly accurate for fibre?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah that seems to be standard with Eircom unfortunately. so you reckon those speeds the website was giving me aren't wholly accurate for fibre?

Well I was as far in the back of the estate as you can get and was getting around 50MB.

Xenji wrote: »
    Well I was as far in the back of the estate as you can get and was getting around 50MB.

Excellent, i'll be in a similar spot myself with the field leading down to lough lannagh right behind us.

Advertisement