Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough to Citywest morning commute

Options
  • 24-01-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

I currently live in Kilmainham and the drive to work each day is pretty stress free, if I leave after 9am I can get to work via the N7 in 15 mins no problem.

My lease is up in a few months and I'm moving in with my OH. Looking like Phibsborough might suit both of us best as she works out in Swords.

Any boardies currently do this commute in the morning? My fear is the traffic will be mental from the likes of Phibsborough (E.g. shopping centre area) to the N7 or M50 in the morning.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Not quite, but almost. I commuted to Citywest from Stoneybatter in 2006 and it was a nightmare. Ended up moving jobs.

Initially, I went the N7 - NCR, Infirmary Road, up by Heuston and then either through Palmerstown or Kilmainham. Always left before 7:15am and it was just pants.

Changed my route and went down the quays, Thomas St, through St James hospital, Rialto, the Coombe, Walkinstown (oh the joys of that roundabout) and eventually the blessington road got me in the back way into Citywest. It was marginally better, but not much.

Evenings were worse. Minimum 50 minute commute, and I had a couple of evenings sitting in the car for 90 minutes.

I didn't use the M50 because at the time it was still only two lanes and the toll booths were still in place, so it was a carpark. It might be better now, in which case you could get onto the M50 via either Finglas or Ballymun - though neither are fantastic in the mornings either. And it sounds like the m50 is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

If your OH is working in swords, would you consider somewhere near the M50? If might be a better option.

Just for complete transparency, I absolutely hate commuting. It's my ninth circle of hell. If you have a higher tolerance than me, you might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Not quite, but almost. I commuted to Citywest from Stoneybatter in 2006 and it was a nightmare. Ended up moving jobs.

Initially, I went the N7 - NCR, Infirmary Road, up by Heuston and then either through Palmerstown or Kilmainham. Always left before 7:15am and it was just pants.

Changed my route and went down the quays, Thomas St, through St James hospital, Rialto, the Coombe, Walkinstown (oh the joys of that roundabout) and eventually the blessington road got me in the back way into Citywest. It was marginally better, but not much.

Evenings were worse. Minimum 50 minute commute, and I had a couple of evenings sitting in the car for 90 minutes.

I didn't use the M50 because at the time it was still only two lanes and the toll booths were still in place, so it was a carpark. It might be better now, in which case you could get onto the M50 via either Finglas or Ballymun - though neither are fantastic in the mornings either. And it sounds like the m50 is a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

If your OH is working in swords, would you consider somewhere near the M50? If might be a better option.

Just for complete transparency, I absolutely hate commuting. It's my ninth circle of hell. If you have a higher tolerance than me, you might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Did that commute around 2009 and found it OK. Think it was between 35-50 minutes each way. Guess it depends on your tolerance for commutes as the other poster said.

That said, I was doing it in reverse to you, Citywest - Phibsboro in the morning; Phibsboro to Citywest in the evenings.

Mornings I was doing N7/Bluebell/Inchicore/Islandbridge/Infirmary road/Cabra Road/ Fassaugh Avenue/Connaught Street.

Evenings I went Navan Road/Phoenix Park/Chapelizod/Palmerstown/M50/N7.

Also my feeling is that the traffic wasn't as bad then. I recently started driving the M50 again for the first time since 2008 and it's noticeably busier and fills up much earlier.

I'd do the commute a few times to see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pmcc1

Hi - I live in the area and occasionally make that same commute. It is contrary to the general flow of traffic and so pretty free-flowing - takes ~25 mins to get from near the shopping centre-area to the Red Cow in normal circumstances. Your instinct about traffic around the shopping centre is half right, all INBOUND approaches to Doyle's Corner are very busy in the morning, and you never want to cross paths with a school run. The key is to find accommodation anywhere North West of Doyle's Corner (or just West of the shopping centre), and then you will be fine. Recommended routes:
    Over the new luas bridge to Faussagh Avenue -
    a) Nephin road - right turn onto, Navan Road - M50
    OR
    b) right turn onto, Broombridge Road (avoids school) - Rathoath Road - Finglas village - M50
    both move very well in the morning. You have been debited €2 for this valuable information.
    Good luck with the move!

Advertisement