Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is mammy entitled to a pension?

• 24-01-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

My mother worked with Ulster bank for exactly six years. Starting July 1975 and leaving in July 1981. She was 25 years of age when leaving. At that time women were not allowed pay into a pension fund. She didn't receive any marriage gratuity as she joined too late. She is now 60 years of age in April. Is she entitled to a pension from Ulster bank and who should she contact? The reason she's a asking is because she heard from a colleague that legislation changed 4/5 years ago (Ulster bank is a subsidiary of an English owned bank, Nat west now Royal bank of Scotland) where they now include those years because of equality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I would imagine that the starting point for this would be the terms and conditions of employment that existed at the relevant time as well as the terms of the pension scheme.

The fact that a person did not pay in to a pension scheme does not debar them if it was on a non-contributory basis - something that did exist in the 1970s.

At the very best I would only expect some kind of small pro-rata pension for the six years of service. Realistically, I would be very surprised if anything was due at all.

Start at the beginning. Write to Ulster Bank. Give them as much detail as you have including personnel number and ask what pension entitlements exist for her.

In summary, I think that this is a long shot but I would love to be wrong - If you do not ask you cannot know for sure.

Advertisement