Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree/ Leaf ID

Options
  • 24-01-2016 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

Also posted on Nature and Birdwatching but seeing as this almost certainly a non-native tree, I'll give it a go here too. It's a smallish sized tree in the grounds of Rathmichael church, a ruined church, graveyard and round tower in South County Dublin, just off the route of the Dublin Mountains Way. It looks pretty well established so if it is a garden escapee, it happened a good while ago I'd say.

The leaves are about 10cm x 5cm, very waxy, thin and much paler on the back side. The tip is noticeably rounded. No fruit observed, and no flowers although there some buds forming.

Any ideas?

1zfhca1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is a variety of bay leaf, most are pointed but a few are rounded like that. Is it aromatic if you crush one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like griselinia from that photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

looksee wrote: »
    I think it is a variety of bay leaf, most are pointed but a few are rounded like that. Is it aromatic if you crush one?
    No, absolutely odourless.

looks like griselinia from that photo?
    Yes, Googling that name and looking at the leaves looks absolutely right. I'd seen that during my searches, but dismissed it as all the example were of it as hedges or shrubs, this was a proper tree. But I see if I Google further that it grows as a tree in it's native New Zealand, so that looks like it.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Of course its griselinia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griselinia

Very common in coastal areas, all over the country in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

btw it makes a good sized tree in mild climates, I know it from SW Cornwall in the UK where it makes a 10 - 15m tree if left alone.

Going by the size of the leaves probably a Griselinia Lucida then if Wikipedia is to be believed.

It thought it looked a bit out of place amongst the usual yews :)

Going by the size of the leaves probably a Griselinia Lucida then if Wikipedia is to be believed.

It thought it looked a bit out of place amongst the usual yews :)

Advertisement