Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BVD neg herd status

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads a bit of over reaction, they're slaughtered immediately, at least some guys might give them to him instead of moving on that's if he's legit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads a bit of over reaction, they're slaughtered immediately, at least some guys might give them to him instead of moving on that's if he's legit..

It's still wrong Kev ,pi calves need to be slaughtered through official channels ,if there owner keeps them he needs his herd locked and restricted and neighbours informed .this is a great scheme but ran by a bunch of blundering idiots who seem unable to know how to run it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Just re texting the bull. I got a text saying to have negitive free herd I had to text the bull. I already had him done from the start of the scheme so was scratching my head. Anyhow for the small saving I would make on the price of testing, I said I'd leave tagging him until the testing in May when he was in the crush anyhow and bit of help around. About 3 weeks after the first text I got another saying I now have a negitive herd status. They must have found the original result for the bull!
    Did ye not all have to do the bull the first mandatory year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just re texting the bull. I got a text saying to have negitive free herd I had to text the bull. I already had him done from the start of the scheme so was scratching my head. Anyhow for the small saving I would make on the price of testing, I said I'd leave tagging him until the testing in May when he was in the crush anyhow and bit of help around. About 3 weeks after the first text I got another saying I now have a negitive herd status. They must have found the original result for the bull!

He's some bull to be able to manage a phone with hooves ;)

That's a strange one though, did you have any other calves kept close to the year mark that could have been confused with the stock bull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

our bull is around 10 years old. so scheme wasnt in place when we bought him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Kovu wrote: »

That's a strange one though, did you have any other calves kept close to the year mark that could have been confused with the stock bull?
    Isn't modern technology great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

That add has been on the go a good while now. I meant to post about it on here ages ago to see what people thought. I think its a disgrace. Farms with pi's should be locked until calf is removed and slaughtered and only opened again until all clear. I know farmers wont like to be locked down but if it leads to a nationwide eradication of bvd it can only be a good thing for the future of farming in Ireland. As I said in a previous post the 60 or 90 cent saving on testing should be used for such lock downs. Compensate farmers for the calf (give them a half decent price for the calf) and further testing. At least if farmers feel they are getting proper compensation they will be less likely to hold onto the calfs and get them slaughtered through the proper channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Kovu wrote: »

He was easier to teach how to text than the auld pair!
    Ya there would have been calves still around from him but they would have been 10 months roughly, and completely different tag numbers. Also they were all squeezed so no other bull to confuse with.
    Strange one alright but they were wrong looking for him to be tagged again anyhow so All's well that ends well as they say

Advertisement