Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a summer job

Options
  • 24-01-2016 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I'm a first year student at DCU and I have one more week before college starts back. I live in Dublin and will probably be here for most, if not all of the summer as I'm broke haha. I would really like to get some summer work. Would anyone know of any places in Dublin that generally take on staff during the summer months? I'm also wondering if now is way too early to start handing out my CV.

However, I also feel conscious that I don't have as much previous experience as I'd like to. Last summer I worked with a promotional agency for two different campaigns and this Christmas I was hired as a temporary staff member for next to do a couple of shifts during a sale. Apart from my TY work experience that's all the past job experience I have. So I feel like I may have to look harder than most to find a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The usuals are retail and cafes/restaurants/bars, just throw your CV into as many as you think would be suitable. You could also look at the likes of Tesco or Dunnes which might do their applications online (I'm not sure exactly).

I wouldn't worry about not having much experience. I think it's a decent time to be looking for part time work, things in Dublin are fairly buoyant. Probably a bit early for CVs at this point. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The usuals are retail and cafes/restaurants/bars, just throw your CV into as many as you think would be suitable. You could also look at the likes of Tesco or Dunnes which might do their applications online (I'm not sure exactly).

I wouldn't worry about not having much experience. I think it's a decent time to be looking for part time work, things in Dublin are fairly buoyant. Probably a bit early for CVs at this point. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

angelinab wrote: »
    I'm a first year student at DCU and I have one more week before college starts back. I live in Dublin and will probably be here for most, if not all of the summer as I'm broke haha. I would really like to get some summer work. Would anyone know of any places in Dublin that generally take on staff during the summer months? I'm also wondering if now is way too early to start handing out my CV.

However, I also feel conscious that I don't have as much previous experience as I'd like to. Last summer I worked with a promotional agency for two different campaigns and this Christmas I was hired as a temporary staff member for next to do a couple of shifts during a sale. Apart from my TY work experience that's all the past job experience I have. So I feel like I may have to look harder than most to find a job.

Try Brown Thomas, its online application and don't know when it opens but I got a Xmas gig there with not a lot of previous experience, I was shocked cause I assumed they'd want people with tons of previous, it was a good place to work too although for summer I don't think the temp contract is that long, maybe only 4 weeks. I'm sure Arnotts is the same but never worked there.

Advertisement