Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Facebook to contact me

Options
  • 24-01-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

We have a new hospitality manager since Xmas. A few times they've been short staffed and staff wouldn't answer their phones when they were being rung to cover. So the new manager gets the staff who are in to Facebook message people to come in. I got a message yesterday and didn't see it till today, I had no credit so messaged the person back (a supervisor) to get the manager to call me. So the manager rang me and told me I was not allowed to use social media to contact work and I was harassing the supervisor by using their personal account. I really have no words for this but I am worried I will get into trouble for doing this. Why is it OK for them to contact us via Facebook but not us to contact them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Request that they show you the same courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

By Message and credit you mean a text message and not a face book message? There must be more going on here if staff aren't turning up or answering their phone to come in to cover the staff that didn't come in. But it's not worth it for you to fight it out with the manager, I'd explain to them that you had no credit and it was not meant as any from of harassment. Ask them in future to phone and not to text you as you might not be able to respond to text messages. Also there is no guarantee that a text message will arrive quick it can get delayed by the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I think the op means they used Facebook messenger to contact her but when she replied she got a telling off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

How come you only saw the Facebook message from them a day after it was sent? It seems strange to me that in all that time you didn't pick up your phone even once. Unless your phone is different to mine, it's hard to miss a Facebook notification when it comes in. You know they message you this way so that'd make it more important that you check any messages coming in, right?

Personally I'd be more annoyed at my employer contacting me by Facebook. I assume they're doing the messenger notifications rather than texts because it's easier to prove that a message has been seen by the recipient.

All you can do is apologise for the misunderstanding and explain that you had no credit. Ask that they ring you next time. Though I thought these days it's hard to run out of credit because of all the minutes your average phone package gives you. I think you are suffering for the sins of your colleagues here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

How come you only saw the Facebook message from them a day after it was sent? It seems strange to me that in all that time you didn't pick up your phone even once. Unless your phone is different to mine, it's hard to miss a Facebook notification when it comes in. You know they message you this way so that'd make it more important that you check any messages coming in, right?

Some of us choose not to use the app, I just use the web site in my phone browser so I get less distractions (and a better battery)

• Advertisement

Fair enough but if that's the case, she should have told her employer that it's easier to contact her by call or text then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Disable notifications from work colleagues who use their private accounts at the Managers bequest.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Personally I'd be more annoyed at my employer contacting me by Facebook. I assume they're doing the messenger notifications rather than texts because it's easier to prove that a message has been seen by the recipient.

All you can do is apologise for the misunderstanding and explain that you had no credit. Ask that they ring you next time. Though I thought these days it's hard to run out of credit because of all the minutes your average phone package gives you. I think you are suffering for the sins of your colleagues here.
    You are being quite presumptive. I check Facebook about once a week and many people don't get a fixed number of phone minutes.

The issue at hand is managers not rostering enough staff for work or to be on-call and acting like psychopaths when they don't ge their way.
    Unless your phone is different to mine
    There are hundreds, if not thousands, of phone models.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fad460

Shadylou wrote: »
    We have a new hospitality manager since Xmas. A few times they've been short staffed and staff wouldn't answer their phones when they were being rung to cover. So the new manager gets the staff who are in to Facebook message people to come in. I got a message yesterday and didn't see it till today, I had no credit so messaged the person back (a supervisor) to get the manager to call me. So the manager rang me and told me I was not allowed to use social media to contact work and I was harassing the supervisor by using their personal account. I really have no words for this but I am worried I will get into trouble for doing this. Why is it OK for them to contact us via Facebook but not us to contact them?

You should politely ask the same question from the manager. It is clearly not harassment!

Tell them you replied to a message you were sent, nothing more. That cannot be construed as harassment. Either facebook is an acceptable form of communication, or it's not.

Personally - I would be blocking them from contacting me on facebook within my privacy settings. End of.

And as for not missing a FB message - that's a load of rubbish. I don't have FB messenger installed. I don't even use the FB app, I use the mobile site, and I log on when I feel like logging on. No notifications are ever sent to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I don't have messenger installer on my phone so I didn't see it until the next day. When I got into work this morning my manager had left a photocopy of our social media policy with the part where we are only allowed to communicate by phone call highlighted for me to sign but the fact remains
    1. Why are they allowed to contact me via text and messenger but I can only contact them by phone or I am harassing them?
    2. Am I not entitled to the same privacy on my personal facebook page as management are?
    3. I have been told that I may get a warning for this, is that legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Its not wrong but its a good way of getting yourself into the "Awkward Squad".
    I don't have messenger installer on my phone so I didn't see it until the next day. When I got into work this morning my manager had left a photocopy of our social media policy with the part where we are only allowed to communicate by phone call highlighted for me to sign but the fact remains
    1. Why are they allowed to contact me via text and messenger but I can only contact them by phone or I am harassing them?
    2. Am I not entitled to the same privacy on my personal facebook page as management are?

What you're saying isn't wrong but tactfully pointing out that you were simply replying to the superviser rather than messaging them directly as Whoopsydaisydoodles suggests would be a better course.
    Legal :confused:. I suspect that they may have got themselves into a minor sh1tstorm if they had to provide a service without sufficient staff. Dishing out a few warnings is a good way of deflecting any critisism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

1. Don't sign a thing
    2. Request a meeting with the HR Director/Manager mentioning stressful harassment.
    3. Document everything immediately and after every conversation. Dates times names etc.
    4. Check your contract
    5. You won't get a warning until after procedure has been followed, so if they do, smile and go to number 6.
    6. If you have the nuts which you should because it's really no biggy, invite them for a day out........

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/enforcement_and_redress/labour_relations_commission.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

nothing to apologise for

Have you ever been shown this social media policy before? I wouldn't have thought that penalising someone for breaching the rules is possible if they weren't aware of them in the first place.

Calling it harassment is going too far. Harassment for what? They're contacting you on your (private) Facebook? As we've established, it's an ineffective way of contacting you anyway.

Duplicate post. Can't delete in app.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

This won't directly help the OP now, but it is better to have a policy to not add any colleagues to FB, ever. LinkedIn is for work, FB is personal. I know we have friends from work, but it really is better not to mix the social networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Bit lost with your post..

So was it you facebooked the supervisor or the supervisor contact you via facebook?

Either one I would say is not good. If you contacted your supervisor via facebook (unless you work is with facebook) then you should not have, go get credit call or if you don't have credit try get them to call you somehow,

If the manager contacted you then they shouldn't have used facebook either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Bit lost with your post..

So was it you facebooked the supervisor or the supervisor contact you via facebook?

Either one I would say is not good. If you contacted your supervisor via facebook (unless you work is with facebook) then you should not have, go get credit call or if you don't have credit try get them to call you somehow,

If the manager contacted you then they shouldn't have used facebook either..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If your supervisor initiated contact via Facebook, then advise whoever is giving you heat that this is the case. If they still give you heat, then start looking around for other jobs, as this place sounds pretty badly dysfunctional. And ignore any work-related message you get via Facebook in future; if someone complains, refer them to the person who's giving you heat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Shadylou wrote:
    I don't have messenger installer on my phone so I didn't see it until the next day. When I got into work this morning my manager had left a photocopy of our social media policy with the part where we are only allowed to communicate by phone call highlighted for me to sign but the fact remains 1. Why are they allowed to contact me via text and messenger but I can only contact them by phone or I am harassing them? 2. Am I not entitled to the same privacy on my personal facebook page as management are? 3. I have been told that I may get a warning for this, is that legal?

Screen shot the messenger conversation and print it to prove you didn't initiate the contact on messenger. Bring it to HR if you have HR in your workplace

Diziet wrote:
    This won't directly help the OP now, but it is better to have a policy to not add any colleagues to FB, ever. LinkedIn is for work, FB is personal. I know we have friends from work, but it really is better not to mix the social networks.

FTR, you don't need to be friends with someone on Facebook in order for them to message you or vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Another good reason to never have a Facebook account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I wonder if the supervisor got caught checking Facebook and is shifting the blame. Definitely point out that this is how the company contacted you in the first place if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

If you were replying to a Facebook message that they sent to you, then your lack of credit etc is irrelevant. There's no way that replying to a message via the medium it was sent to you is harrassment.

Does the manager know that the supervisor messaged you first?

If that's how it happened, I wouldn't accept any warnings for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Go through your facebook and unfriend any managers and work, and only leave work colleagues who are actually friends connected.
    The manager that is creating a **** storm - are they the only manager? Is there a more senior manager? Is there a union?

Dig out your contract and find out what it says re social media. Does your contract refer to a company handbook or anything? Have you ever been given a company handbook (assuming this is where the social media policy has been pulled from).

Do you have a record of other times your work has contacted you through social media? Have they initiated the contact? Screenshot and document everything.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Add your reply here.

Are there data protection issues with a manager asking employees to contact other employees using personal social media accounts? I know that the case last week was about a work social media account and they never ruled on the persons private social media account, but I doubt it's legal for a company to contact people about work issues using a random employees personal social media account.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

nikkibikki wrote: »

FTR, you don't need to be friends with someone on Facebook in order for them to message you or vice versa

Absolutely, but you can choose to not accept to ignore such messages as spam.

• Advertisement

Did anyone from work ever contact you on Facebook before?

Advertisement