Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Facebook to contact me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

What did the manager say when you explained that you were contacted via Facebook messenger in the first place? You haven't mentioned if you said this is not.
    Personally I'd be going to the person responsible for HR in your team and talk about what has happened. If it is a situation where your manager is concerned about harassment of your superviser then pointing out that, using the Facebook contact criteria, you are also bring harrassed might soften his/her cough a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

My impression of the OP (and I may be wrong) was that the supervisor contacted the OP. OP didn't reply. A day later OP contacts the same supervisor via FB. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah im getting it now, does sounds like maybe the supervisor is covering their ass and maybe blaming you..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah im getting it now, does sounds like maybe the supervisor is covering their ass and maybe blaming you..

But blaming the Op for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Call me Al wrote: »
    But blaming the Op for what?

Using Facebook? I *think* the supervisor messaged the OP on Facebook, the OP didn't see it until the next day and replied via FB then asking them to call her/him. So if the manager didn't know the supervisor had used Facebook the day before, then they might assume that OP had ignored a text message and then initiated a Facebook conversation with the supervisor (who hasn't admitted they started it).

If I've understood correctly, the OP has no case to answer. You can't be harrassing someone if you send a reply via the medium they contacted you!

• Advertisement

But I think the OP says the manager asked the supervisor to contact him via Facebook! So this manager knows Facebook was used in the first place. Unless we are talking about 2 different managers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

1) Manager asked worker A (a supervisor) to contact worker B via facebook
    2) Worker B replied to Worker A (a supervisor) to ask the Manager to phone Worker B (as she had no credit to make the call herself)
    3) Manager informs Worker B that it is against company rules for employees to contact company through social meda

In this case, Worker B (the OP) should inform the Manager that she was only replying via the method she was contacted and that if she was contacted by phone, she would have answered etc.

Bit rich for the Manager to ask his staff to contact their mates (some of whom they supervise) about work issues, but then look to have their replies blocked. Sounds like he/she is being awkward for a reason

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

This is a total mess, it sounds like incompetence to the highest degree.
    Totally unprofessional and contradictory in its essence.

I'd basically tell them as it is,it's almost bullying and not fair.

Some people are absolute assholes,I myself have taken on people trying similar **** with me.

They always end up having to apologise in writing so I have a record.
    I love turning the tables on so called uppity people.

I'd say what's happened here is this.

It's not the manager that asks for Facebook to be used. She just asks the supervisor to get staff in. Supervisor started using Facebook to do so. Manager unaware.

When OP asked supervisor to get manager to call her, supervisor told manager "OP just send me a Facebook message asking you to call her". Manager went mad. Supervisor realised she wasn't meant to be using FB and didn't have the balks to tell manager what really happened.

I at least hope it's something along these lines, because I cannot get my head around the fact you could be given a warning over replying to a message via the means it was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Sounds like the company in question does not have allot of respect for their employees.
    If you like the job or need the job you might have to suck it up. Otherwise escalate the issue thru hr or union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Replying to a message is most certainly not harassment!

Sending unsolicited messages could be considered spam though.

Report them to Facebook for spam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

I'd say what's happened here is this.

It's not the manager that asks for Facebook to be used. She just asks the supervisor to get staff in. Supervisor started using Facebook to do so. Manager unaware.

When OP asked supervisor to get manager to call her, supervisor told manager "OP just send me a Facebook message asking you to call her". Manager went mad. Supervisor realised she wasn't meant to be using FB and didn't have the balks to tell manager what really happened.

I at least hope it's something along these lines, because I cannot get my head around the fact you could be given a warning over replying to a message via the means it was sent.

You would see a conversation thread in Facebook messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Unless you are being paid a standby allowance I wouldn't bother responding to any contact from work during your own time off be it facebook or by phone.

In college, I worked in a place like that where you would get phonecalls asking could you come in on your day off etc. I used never answer anyway, but someone people could never enjoy their days off as they were always waiting on calls.

In the end we threatned to walk out if any staff member was called. They now pay some people a standby allowance in case they are short staffed.

Also you should send them a letter by registered post explaining you dissatisfaction with the whole them contacting you by facebook being fine, but you responding being a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Dodge wrote: »
    1) Manager asked worker A (a supervisor) to contact worker B via facebook
    2) Worker B replied to Worker A (a supervisor) to ask the Manager to phone Worker B (as she had no credit to make the call herself)
    3) Manager informs Worker B that it is against company rules for employees to contact company through social meda

This is exactly what happened, we would never have been contacted in this way before, the manager actually looked us up on Facebook to see who they could ask to contact us and I had previously declined a friend request from this manager ( they tried to add me after 1 day of working together)
    The staff that sent the messages were unhappy to do so but were pressured to do this by the manager.
    I brought the whole thing to the attention of the general manager who is looking into this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Good stuff. Let us know the outcome

Advertisement