Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virginmedia analogue aerial in bedroom no longer working?

• 24-01-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭

We have had UPC/Virgin media for the last 10 years.

As far as i can remember i have always had the digital tv in the sitting room and the bedroom is cabled for upc also and we always got the analogue channels on it.

I never paid for multiroom.

i recently signed a new 12 month contract on my existing horizon bundle with 240mb BB, and perhaps coincidentally, the analogue channels no longer appear to work.

do i need an active multiroom sub for this to work and ive just been lucky all this time or is there something else going on?

we really only use it the very odd time, my wife watches tv3 on it.

if i do need multiroom maybe something like aertv on an android stick would be better and cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

Well this worked previously as there was no way for UPC to switch off the analog signal.... maybe they eventually found a way.. or have switched off the entire analog service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

These are the analogue channels currently carried on cable in Dublin - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93774102&postcount=28

When you upgraded to Horizon did a technician call out, maybe they disconnected the cable that feeds the bedroom?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VikingG wrote: »
    Well this worked previously as there was no way for UPC to switch off the analog signal.... maybe they eventually found a way.. or have switched off the entire analog service

They haven't and there isn't a way to stop supplying analogue to a premises other than by physically disconnecting it from the network. And there'll be plenty of publicity when the day does come that they decide to switch it off.

With that in mind I'd echo the poster above - check the physical cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The Cush wrote: »
    These are the analogue channels currently carried on cable in Dublin - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93774102&postcount=28

When you upgraded to Horizon did a technician call out, maybe they disconnected the cable that feeds the bedroom?

thats bizarre

i havent had a technician out in years and the cabling hasnt been touched

how very odd

Cyrus wrote: »
    i havent had a technician out in years and the cabling hasnt been touched

Are the analogue channels available at the main TV point?

Where does the bedroom cable connect into the VM/UPC cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The Cush wrote: »
    Are the analogue channels available at the main TV point?

Where does the bedroom cable connect into the VM/UPC cable?

i havent checked that to be honest, but the bedroom installation is the other side of the wall to the main one (sitting room tv wall backs onto the bedroom)

so assume they are part of the same wiring

Cyrus wrote: »
    i havent checked that to be honest, but the bedroom installation is the other side of the wall to the main one (sitting room tv wall backs onto the bedroom)

so assume they are part of the same wiring

Assume nothing, I've seen the cable from the main bedroom run to an outside junction box together with the main TV point cable.

If you can remove the faceplates and see if you can trace the cabling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's usually a junction box in the wall outside somewhere, or it might be attached to the facia somewhere.

When I got my UPC modem moved from one room to another (was having poor signal) I notice months later when I tried to move it back, that the UPC yob had cut the connector off the end to the room I used to have it in.

Advertisement