Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Coolmine

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Myself and the wife are looking to move to Carpenterstown / Coolmine to rent for a year, before buying somewhere in the wider Castleknock area next year.

We were there looking at a house on Cherry Avenue, and it struck me how big a change its going to be living out there. I've lived in various places around Dublin but all have had a village-y vibe to them - while we weren't there all that long, it struck me as an endless sprawl of houses with not too much else around.

I had never been there before yesterday, but we've got a baby on the way and the mrs has identified the area as one that would be good to start a young family, in an affordable area, with a short commuting distance (we both work in the IFSC). Can anyone share pro's / cons to living there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Myself and the wife are looking to move to Carpenterstown / Coolmine to rent for a year, before buying somewhere in the wider Castleknock area next year.

We were there looking at a house on Cherry Avenue, and it struck me how big a change its going to be living out there. I've lived in various places around Dublin but all have had a village-y vibe to them - while we weren't there all that long, it struck me as an endless sprawl of houses with not too much else around.

I had never been there before yesterday, but we've got a baby on the way and the mrs has identified the area as one that would be good to start a young family, in an affordable area, with a short commuting distance (we both work in the IFSC). Can anyone share pro's / cons to living there?

I've never heard of Cherry Avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's just off Carpenterstown Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

January wrote: »
    It's just off Carpenterstown Avenue.

So today is not a waste. I learned something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

There are good community groups around but the area does suffer from the lack of a decent village. Commuting by train to the IFSC will be easy from you location. In the area there are lots of childcare options but they are a bit more expensive than most areas in Dublin. Laurel Lodge community centre is very good and has lots of things on for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I lived in Coolmine for a year before buying near Blanch village;

Pro's
    Train is close by and very handy for commuting into city center
    Close proximity to Blanch shopping center
    Close to Phoenix park
    Nice settled area with mainly owner occupiers and lots of schools in the area

Cons
    Have to drive to most shops
    Getting relatively expensive to purchase in
    Not many trains on weekends / late at night

In summary it's a nice area to live in but like someone said earlier Laurel Lodge area is probably nice with the community centre there but houses in that area are more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My 2 cents.

Its a great location for commuting to the IFSC by train. You've everything you need relatively nearby, and the shops are 8~12 mins walk away. 22mins to Tesco. (have to drive, I don't think so)
    It doesn't have a traditional looking village. But the local shops have most of what you want in local shops. One thing no one mentioned is its its gridlock at peak times for traffic. If you are using the train its not an issue. Trains can be standing room only but its short run to IFSC. High demand for creche and schools places. Its not a bad cycle the whole way to the IFSC either. Castleknock Village has the vibe you are looking for, and its really not far away, hop on a bus, or drive off peak, it only a 7~10 mins. M50 is close. Though at peak, everywhere especially around Blanch is very heavy traffic.

Advertisement