Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who legitimately never had a bad album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

iomega wrote: »
    2 albums actually.

There's no denying they're riff stealing. I do like Wire, but I think connection is a better song than three girl rumba.

Forgot about waking up,that was a decent enough tune as well at the time.never heard anything from the second album.
    My own nomination for this thread are band of the moment Protomatyr,playing in a few weeks in the workman's. One of the few modern bands who although only 3 albums continue to improve,diversify and expand upon their soundscapes with each album release.So far they have three critically albums and no doubt the fourth will be equally as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

King Crimson (though they never sold massive amounts). I'm not the biggest Lizard fan, though it's a well considered album
    The Beatles (obviously)
    Beastie Boys
    Pink Floyd? Is The Final Cut a "bad" album?
    Bjork
    Boards Of Canada
    Velvet Underground (ditto on the "no sales" aspect though)
    D'Angelo (Ok only three albums since 1995 but still, they're all awesome)
    My Bloody Valentine
    Nick Drake (sold nothing)

Pearl Jam have the avocado one, Riot Act, and the latest one - they aren't really that good. Backspacer is good, Binaural is bearable but they haven't made a really good album since Yield.

Was gonna put in Daft Punk but then remembered "Human After All".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Pink Floyd? Is The Final Cut a "bad" album?
    Absolutely not,some cracking tracks on it ,few fillers but as a Roger Waters era pink floyd fan I would say any album after he left is downhill..but that's just me.

few fillers but as a Roger Waters era pink floyd fan I would say any album after he left is downhill..but that's just me.

I suppose I was considering "Final Cut" as the last album... don't know why actually, as I like the albums that came after. Division Bell has some really good moments, you couldn't say it was a "bad" album. Endless River divided people but I thought it was nice for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really don't like Momentary Lapse. I like the division bell and final cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Shame we can't swap Radiohead's Kings of Limbs for Thom Yorke's The Eraser.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

The weak list:

Pixies - Trompe le Monde

A bit weak by their standards, but still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Sex Pistols
    The Smiths
    Roxy Music
    The Go Betweens
    Arctic Monkeys (I probably get slaughtered for saying that but they get better with each album)
    The Verve
    Supergrass
    Crowded House
    Beastie Boys
    Blur (their debut is actually a good effort and Great Escape is a good album)

Looper007 wrote: »
    The Verve
    Beastie Boys

Forth?
    The Mix Up?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Based on the criteria in the OP, the Foo Fighters actually qualify here. "One by One" is sometimes panned by people, but it outsold the previous album, went no. 1 in a couple of countries and still contains some iconic songs. It's "weak" but far from bad.

Interestingly looking at the figures, their last few albums have sold way less than their first ones, but went a lot higher in the charts. This is probably down to less people buying albums at all, instead paying for the individual songs they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Only have three in fairness but Florence and the Machine has yet to disappoint.

Bjork, I don't get all the dislike for Volta, I love it. Biophilia would be the weakest but it's still good.

Arcade Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    Bjork, I don't get all the dislike for Volta, I love it. Biophilia would be the weakest but it's still good.
    Are you including the album she recorded as a kid in 1977? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The police

Are you including the album she recorded as a kid in 1977? :)

Never listened to that one actually. So nah.

Cosmicfox wrote: »
    Never listened to that one actually. So nah.

The one I don't listen to is Medulla. I sort of pretend it doesn't exist. It never worked with me. But I must give it another go.

Volta isn't great. There's a few good tracks but too much Timbaland production styles which I can't stand.

Biophilia is amazing conceptually (newly created instruments, the app, etc) but song of the songs fail to grab you. I still enjoy having it on though. Crystaline is great - that breakbeat at the end.

The one I don't listen to is Medulla. I sort of pretend it doesn't exist. It never worked with me. But I must give it another go.

Volta isn't great. There's a few good tracks but too much Timbaland production styles which I can't stand.

Biophilia is amazing conceptually (newly created instruments, the app, etc) but song of the songs fail to grab you. I still enjoy having it on though. Crystaline is great - that breakbeat at the end.

I wasn't keen on medulla at first but it was interesting idea so I persisted. Still a few songs I'm not fussed on but there are some great ones. Vokuro makes me feel like I'm sitting in an ice church.

I like all the brass in volta. Sounds like ships, which is also why I like quite a lot of the drawing restraint 9 OST.

Biophilia kind of fades into the background for me, gets a bit samey. Kind of felt like I was listening the to soundtrack of Ecco the dolphin at times. Still a few good ones, like mutual core

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Only had 3 so far but Everything Everything have had 3 individually very good albums, all different in their own way from each other too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Gorillaz. Demon Days would, imo be one of the best albums of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The Prodigy are almost on this list but the last album is fairly weak, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Forth?
    The Mix Up?

I think Fourth is a very solid album not quite of their earlier releases but still a underrated album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Maccabees, love all their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

loyatemu wrote: »
    Three Girl Rhumba -> Connection
    I am the Fly -> Line Up
    No More Heroes (the Stranglers) -> Waking Up

they like a bit of creative borrowing did Elastica...

How in the name of gods balls were they not sued all the way to Sunday and back for that daylight robbery?

Speaking of Gods Balls...every one of Tad's records were great.

Pity the band were screwed over continuously by companies for their entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

sex pistols
    siouxie and the banshees
    the strokes
    the fall
    television
    velvet underground
    wire
    gang of four

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the fall

can anyone say this for sure? they have about 2000 albums.

sex pistols

velvet underground

Sex Pistols only released one album...

And I don't think anyone is going to say that "Squeeze" by the Velvet Underground is a good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

And I don't think anyone is going to say that "Squeeze" by the Velvet Underground is a good album.
    That album never happened, okay? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Type O Negative are another.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Tweeter

Fight like apes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Wasn't that just Doug Yule writing, singing and playing everything (and presumably taking care of the studio catering) all by his lonesome? That's a VU album in name only.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Wasn't that just Doug Yule writing, singing and playing everything (and presumably taking care of the studio catering) all by his lonesome? That's a VU album in name only.

Still a VU album! :pac:

It's like someone earlier listed the Doors, but they forgot about "Other Voices" and "Full Circle".

Advertisement