Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands who legitimately never had a bad album

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

If not for the mixing and hideous mastering, I think Around the Sun would be quite good. I have a few live studio performances of songs from that album and they sound so much better.

And the few they did from Around The Sun on the live at The Point album worked well. Boy in the well particularly. Production of the album was just depressingly over glossy.

Always assumed that's where your username came from :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

And the few they did from Around The Sun on the live at The Point album worked well. Boy in the well particularly. Production of the album was just depressingly over glossy.

Yeah I was thinking of Boy in the Well. I have the version of that they did for iTunes Originals. Sounds great but made the album version unlistenable for me.
    Always assumed that's where your username came from :)

Sometimes even I forget. Years ago another user said "you'll hate where you'll wind up" to me (a reference to one of the lyrics of "Sad Professor") and it went completely over my head. :D

I wish they'd hurry up and do a reunion tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I wish they'd hurry up and do a reunion tour.

We can live in hope.... but I don't think it'll be soon. Have seen them 5 times and met Mr Stipe outside the Olympia when I was very early for a gig there, I can't complain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

ABBA

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Blind Melon.
    Very underrated band. Most people don't look beyond the single No Rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Soundgarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Grayditch wrote: »
    Type O Negative are another.

??? They never had a good album!
    (and I say that as a fan - even their "best of" was titled "Least worst of..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭PressRun

A Tribe Called Quest never made a bad album. As with every group, some albums better than others, but none bad.
    Same for Beastie Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm gonna give The Killers a mention here. I only recently got around to listening to Battle Born and it's a decent listen thus making it four out of four good albums from the Las Vegas band. What I would say is that they have never managed to release that seminal groundbreaking record that will be remembered for years and years to come but what they have done is release four solid 7/10 albums which is probably good enough to give them a place in this thread I reckon.

I'm actually a big fan of their second album Sam's Town and would probably give it an 8/10 but again it just falls short of greatness. Good band though and I look forward to album number 5 next month. New single is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Every time this thread pops up I automatically think of Sleater Kinney and when I reassess their back catalogue it strengthens my opinion that they are well in contention for best US band of the past 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Pighead wrote: »
    I'm gonna give The Killers a mention here. I only recently got around to listening to Battle Born and it's a decent listen thus making it four out of four good albums from the Las Vegas band. What I would say is that they have never managed to release that seminal groundbreaking record that will be remembered for years and years to come but what they have done is release four solid 7/10 albums which is probably good enough to give them a place in this thread I reckon.

I'm actually a big fan of their second album Sam's Town and would probably give it an 8/10 but again it just falls short of greatness. Good band though and I look forward to album number 5 next month. New single is great.

Good assessment. Really liked Sam's town too. I love about three quarters of the songs. Couple of very average skippable tunes just let it down (towards the end of the album from what I recollect).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

loyatemu wrote: »
    first Radiohead album is pretty weak - definitely their worst.

Creep. Nuff said. Also loads of other tracks. It was definitely of it's time, but still a really good album

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You could say Jeff Buckley never had a bad album, but then he only had one and died. Same with nirvana, and joy division, those bands died with their lead singer.

Portishead only have 3 proper albums spread over 2 decades but they're all incredible. And they only got better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

:confused:
    How can you be a fan if you don't like any of their albums?

I'd say they mean they have savage songs but not albums. But if you really listen to them they're so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Doves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Tool
    Smashing pumpkins (not sure on sales)
    Nine inch nails
    Queens of the stone age
    Mastodon
    Led zepplin

Some of those might be a little too heavy for op though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Tool
    Smashing pumpkins (not sure on sales)
    Nine inch nails
    Queens of the stone age
    Mastodon
    Led zepplin

Some of those might be a little too heavy for op though.

Am a big Pumpkins fan but not all of their albums are great.

"In Through The Out Door" wouldn't be a great Led Zep album.

I was about to post a similar response until I remembered the thread title. They ain't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Pablo Honey was fairly poor. The King of Limbs was average at best.

Funny enough, Pablo Honey is by far my favourite album - vastly underrated imho - I would easily prefer it to OK Computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

More appropriate is what band can you say every album is top class.

The Smiths really are the only I can think of. But then its only 4 albums. And I'm not sure I'd have Meat is Murder as a top class album.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Linkin Park probably
    In this Moment

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dexys

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toshr

Television, without a doubt. Even their demos stand out, indie band who turned up for rehearsals...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

toshr wrote: »
    Television, without a doubt. Even their demos stand out, indie band who turned up for rehearsals...

Not really gone on Adventure. I kind of hate it. Listened to it loads to see of it would be a grower before I had to concede that its just one hell of a mediocre album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

TV On the Radio
    Nirvana

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jooksavage wrote: »
    Not really gone on Adventure. I kind of hate it. Listened to it loads to see of it would be a grower before I had to concede that its just one hell of a mediocre album.

I love Marquee Moon, listened to Adventure years ago and thought it was a bit meh. But more recently I've been listening to it again and it's actually really good, "not as good as MM" is not really a criticism, there's some great songs on it. The 1992 album is a bit meh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Am a big Pumpkins fan but not all of their albums are great.

"In Through The Out Door" wouldn't be a great Led Zep album.

Out of the seven tracks I only dislike Hotdog. Wasn't received well by the critics, but they ragged on most of there albums. Rolling Stone magazine spout some nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Judas priest! Although I haven't listened their recent stuff they've released a huge amount of albums with only one that 'divided opinion'

I heard the new one is excellent

Advertisement