Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Runner Paced Mile

Options
  • 25-01-2016 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

http://irishrunner.com/irish-runner-magazine-paced-miles/

Irish Runner are launching the Irish Runner Paced Miles Series at the track in ALSAA, Dublin Airport, on Wednesday, January 27th. This will be the first of a series of 3 Irish Runner Paced Miles at ALSAA. The other two will take place on Wednesday, February 24th and Wednesday, March 23rd.

The Irish Runner Paced Miles will range from 12 minutes back to sub 5 Minutes- 12 Minutes/ 11 Minutes/ 10 minutes etc and each mile will be led by expert pacers.

The programme will begin with a Running Workshop which will take place indoors at ALSAA at 7pm. Catherina McKiernan will be our special guest at the first Running Workshop.

The Warm- Up for the paced miles will take place at 7.45pm and the Paced Miles start at 8pm. There will also be a supervised Warm- Down Session after each Paced Mile.

There is an entry fee of €5 for each paced mile - or €10 for all three. This nominal entry fee includes entry into the Running Workshop and all participants in the Paced Miles will receive a FREE Training Diary.

Online entry is now open for the Irish Runner Paced Miles Series. For more information and to enter simply log onto http://irishrunner.com/irish-runner-magazine-paced-miles/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

In layman terms ... can anyone sum up how this works or the idea behind it?

For example, if you were trying to decide what paced group you should go with for the paced mile:

Would you go with the fastest pace you know you can do?
    Would you go with a pace, slightly faster than you've run a mile before?
    Or something else?

Probably seems like a stupid question but just want to make sure I'm clear how to approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kop On wrote: »
    In layman terms ... can anyone sum up how this works or the idea behind it?

For example, if you were trying to decide what paced group you should go with for the paced mile:

Would you go with the fastest pace you know you can do?
    Would you go with a pace, slightly faster than you've run a mile before?
    Or something else?

Probably seems like a stupid question but just want to make sure I'm clear how to approach this?

You would go with the pacer faster than the time you think you can run. eg if your current time was 8.30 you should go with the 8 minute pacer, Thats my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I went along to this! It was good value for what it was. Bit of a Q&A beforehand in ALSAA with David Carrie, Catherina McKiernan and some folks from Irish Runner and The Great Ireland Run (which was plugged a lot), then some group dynamic stretching, followed by a group photo and finally out on to the track for some more warm-up. The setup was good with a loudspeaker, finish gantry with clock etc. and plenty of support for each of the groups. It was a little slow to get going - I guess the cold didn't help with my perception of time here. I'd guess there were maybe a bit over 100 people there. Running on the track in a paced group was pretty enjoyable (especially with Catherina in my group :D ) and I was happy with my time (even though I did tear away a little at the start... plus ça change). It was a tenner for all three races, so hopefully I'll show up at at least another one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm going to hopefully give this a try next month. I've never done a paced mile so it will be something different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bump.

Round 3 took place tonight. With a sub-21 5k in the bag from last week (Porterstown Parkrun), I signed up for 6:00 pace. The 6:00 and 6:30 groups went off together. Lap 1 I stayed close to the 6:00 pacer, but down the back straight on Lap 2 it all went pear shaped, to the extent that I felt like just stepping off, and got passed by quite a few. The third and fourth laps I ran pretty much alone, with my lungs on fire, and although I made up some ground on the finishing straight, 6:11 serves to show just how much room for improvement I have!! Thanks to all involved in the organising, and well done to all who ran.

Split times illustrate my downfall:

Lap 1 - 1:26 (including 0:01 between start and finish line)
    Lap 2 - 1:31
    Lap 3 - 1:38
    Lap 4 - 1:36

• Advertisement
Advertisement