Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapchat overload?

Options
  • 25-01-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've starting to get very annoyed with a friend of mine (male) who keeps sending me snapchats (pictures) of their child. It's things like a messy face after a meal, making a face at the camera, sleeping in crib, doing something he shouldn't be like standing on top of the table etc etc. Now I can understand that obviously this child is the apple of their eye but all these pics are really starting to annoy me. I was at a family event on Saturday and left my phone in my bag, when I took it out to check it after, he had sent me 4 snaps of the child (in the space of an hour or two)! Yesterday I think he sent me 4 more snaps, including one just before midnight of him asleep in the crib!

I don't want to fall out with him over it. I have been tempted to send him back one of my own child (who is a good bit older) every time he sends me a snap but to be honest that's a bit passive aggressive and probably won't solve the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? There was no snapchat when my child was a tot so I dunno is this the done thing now? How can I get him to stop sending me all these pics without him getting in a huff over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have one friend who does this too, but I just ignore it. He sends them to everyone in his contacts. You can always remove or block them on Snapchat, but I just tap through the pics without paying too much attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I didn't know anyone over the age of about 16 used snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

L'prof wrote: »
    I have one friend who does this too, but I just ignore it. He sends them to everyone in his contacts. You can always remove or block them on Snapchat, but I just tap through the pics without paying too much attention.
    Yeah I'm now starting to leave the snaps unopened for a bit or quickly just a glance. But it just annoys me anytime my phone beeps and I see it's yet another snap from him. He's a lovely little child, don't get me wrong, but I just don't need to be sent all these snaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Kitten pics - it's the only way, send loads esp at 3am

lhZdz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Maybe suggest an alternative method - like, say something like "Hey, Snapchat doesnt' seem to work properly for me - can you put those pictures in a Facebook album or something?" That way he might be less inclined to send them to you if he thinks you aren't able to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just remove him from Snapchat...

I don't understand how this is a parenting issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? There was no snapchat when my child was a tot so I dunno is this the done thing now? How can I get him to stop sending me all these pics without him getting in a huff over it?

One of my brothers had this issue with another brother clogging up his Facebook newsfeed with pictures of their child. He simply unfriended him. When the other brother asked him why, my brother told him exactly why.

If your friend is truly your friend, they'll show some understanding and consideration for the fact that you do not need constant updates on their child.

January wrote: »

I thought that this might have been the best forum as it relates to pics sent of a child and was wondering is this a common thing now for parents to do as it's after my time? And if any other posters had feedback or advise from a parent point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I thought that this might have been the best forum as it relates to pics sent of a child and was wondering is this a common thing now for parents to do as it's after my time? And if any other posters had feedback or advise from a parent point of view.

Not sure how it's after your time if you also use Snapshot. Why not remove the app? (it's ridiculous anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah OP it's become all too common (I'm not on Facebook myself so I was never subjected to my brother's "baby spam"), but there are ways to tell your friend you're tired of their over-sharing, without being mean about it, like this woman's friends -

'She crawls off the mat - WE DON'T CARE!': Mother reveals mean message sent by 'friends' on Facebook who said they were sick of her 'oversharing' information about her baby
    Proud parents bragging about their little darling's every move on Facebook is a regular annoyance for many people using the social network.
    But one Australian woman got so sick of her friend's constant updates about her baby daughter that she wrote her a scathing letter demanding the mother stop - claiming she is 'p*****g a lot of people off'.
    Jade Ruthven, 33, was so upset by the 'poison pen' note that she got her own back by forwarding it onto comedian Em Rusciano - who shared it with her thousands of followers on social media.

mordeith wrote: »
    Not sure how it's after your time if you also use Snapshot. Why not remove the app? (it's ridiculous anyway)
    What I mean is that my child is well past the oh so cute stage (to everyone but us, his parents!) of baby/toddler years. So I wouldn't even think of sending people pics of him being a moody pre-teen! It wasn't about when he was a tot so that's why I was wondering is it now the done thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What I mean is that my child is well past the oh so cute stage (to everyone but us, his parents!) of baby/toddler years. So I wouldn't even think of sending people pics of him being a moody pre-teen! It wasn't about when he was a tot so that's why I was wondering is it now the done thing.

While Snapchat wasn't around when your pre-teen was a baby, the camera had been invented. Did you document their every waking moment with a camera? Did you bore family and friends by showing them the latest pictures when they called around? Parents gushing over their little angel isnt a new phenomenon.

I would say block the friend from snapchat and drop them a text saying your snapchat isnt working for some reason..

If they don't get the message you will have to be straight with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why dont you just ask them to stop over sharing pics of their child with you on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hey guys, I've starting to get very annoyed with a friend of mine (male) who keeps sending me snapchats (pictures) of their child. It's things like a messy face after a meal, making a face at the camera, sleeping in crib, doing something he shouldn't be like standing on top of the table etc etc. Now I can understand that obviously this child is the apple of their eye but all these pics are really starting to annoy me. I was at a family event on Saturday and left my phone in my bag, when I took it out to check it after, he had sent me 4 snaps of the child (in the space of an hour or two)! Yesterday I think he sent me 4 more snaps, including one just before midnight of him asleep in the crib!

I don't want to fall out with him over it. I have been tempted to send him back one of my own child (who is a good bit older) every time he sends me a snap but to be honest that's a bit passive aggressive and probably won't solve the problem.

Uninstall snapchat, horrendous app altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

My friend was sending me pictures of all her meals for days and days it was getting on the nerves alright until I snapped and said to her you do realise your sending me your snaps and not to everyone she apologised and said no I thought they were going to everyone how embarrassing. ..truth be told she didn't know how to use the app properly and I'd say your friend is exactly the same 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

My SIL went through a bad patch of over doing it with pics of her girls on Facebook last year.
    day after day 8 10 12 or more pictures.
    Some of her contacts made the mistake of "liking" and even commenting on them
    "Gorgeous" "wow! How grown up she is!"
    this only encourages more of it, of course, and then you have to acknowledge every single picture every day or there's going to be a sulk
    She just got bored with it I think and stopped eventually, but it did last about a year
    She's now posting any memes she can regarding "our loved ones in heaven etc."
    They have to be liked too

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

People take social media far too seriously. Snapchat is for kids, just don't bother with it. If someone is posting too many photos of their child on FB just scroll on past, no need to get upset about it. It is only Facebook, it's not actually that important.

Advertisement