Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortgage Balance Calculation

• 25-01-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Can someone please explain mortgages - the interest, the repayments & how a mortgage decreases annually?

Take this example, and advise if I am correct:

€241,000 is the remaining balance, as at 23/1
    Current Interest Rate is 2.3%
    Current Repayments are €952 per month
    So over 12 months I pay €11,424 to bank

Is the interest paid, 2.3% of the balance (241k) = €5543 for the year
    Or is interest paid calculated every month based on a decreasing balance?
    And then is the amount paid of the capital €11,424 - Interest paid over the year?
    What I am interested in is how the remaining balance figure is calculated?

Hope this makes sense

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Arddon wrote: »
    Can someone please explain mortgages - the interest, the repayments & how a mortgage decreases annually?

Take this example, and advise if I am correct:

€241,000 is the remaining balance, as at 23/1
    Current Interest Rate is 2.3%
    Current Repayments are €952 per month
    So over 12 months I pay €11,424 to bankY

Is the interest paid, 2.3% of the balance (241k) = €5543 for the year
    Or is interest paid calculated every month based on a decreasing balance?
    And then is the amount paid of the capital €11,424 - Interest paid over the year?
    What I am interested in is how the remaining balance figure is calculated?

Hope this makes sense

thanks for any help

Download karls mortgage calculator from google play store. It provides tables that explain the calculations. An excellent resource

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

thanks for the reply physioman, but you've just created a whole new thread in the technology section...

...it looks like a nice piece of kit though

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

there is actually an online one aswell - many thanks

the numbers are not exactly the same - maybe due to banks/tax relief??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

An APR of 2.3% represents a monthly rate of 0.189675%. You obtain this by getting the twelfth root of 1.023 which is 1.00189675.

At the end of each month, do the following ......

1. Apply (add) interest of 0.189675% to the balance at the end of the previous month.

2. Deduct your payment of €952, this give you the new balance.

By my calculations, your outstanding balance won't go below €200,000 until July 2022 using those numbers. As you say, you are paying €11,424 p.a. but your interest bill for 2016 will be €5,423 (less than your suggested €5,543 because the balance is reducing) so you will only reduce the balance by €6,000 in the year 2016.

Advertisement