Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stats Thread aka The Poindexter Thread

• 25-01-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

I know some of you guys hate advanced stats and nerd talk, but there are surely just as many people who were initially attracted to American Football by the range of statistics and maths conundrums produced by the game.

So I thought we could have a thread where we can discuss these matters.

First up, I thought I would draw your attention to the article below, which discusses the decision by the Packers not to go for 2 points, but to go for 1 point against the Cardinals last week and also a similar "error" by the Chiefs on the same weekend.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-coaches-are-getting-away-with-crimes-against-middle-school-math/

And for those that like listening as well as reading, I also liked this analysis on momentum in NFL that I heard a couple of years ago. The guy has a good few other podcasts on the subject.

http://www.sportsanalyticsradio.com/afa-podcast-9-brian-burke/

Anything else tickle your fancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Here's a good read if you like statistics, win probability and maybe give a new insight into watching a game.

538 discuss the impact of Stephen Gostkowskis missed extra point.

The interesting takeaway, is that plays early in the game have less impact on win probability, and that Gostkowskis miss effectively cost the Patriots nothing.

Even better (and possibly scarier still) is that pretty innocuous incomplete passes in the 3rd quarter can hugely impact the outcome of games - they are just not talked about or remembered, for the most part, afterwards.

Advertisement