Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Steak in the Oven advice

Options
  • 25-01-2016 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I usually cook my steak on a griddle pan but wouldn't mind trying to cook the piece of sirloin I have in the oven tonight.

Any tips on how best to cook steak in the oven? On a tray or in a dish or in a piece of tinfoil?

Does it need to be turned? How long should it be in the oven for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Is there any particular reason you want to cook it in the oven? It'll take way longer than doing it on the pan and unless you have the oven on anyway for potatoes or something, it's a very energy-inefficient way of cooking a single steak.

You also won't get a nice char on it if you don't at least start it in the pan.

If you eat your steak anything other than extremely well done then, tbh, I can see it being a waste of a perfectly good steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Best advice is don't. Use the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason you want to cook it in the oven? It'll take way longer than doing it on the pan and unless you have the oven on anyway for potatoes or something, it's a very energy-inefficient way of cooking a single steak.

You also won't get a nice char on it if you don't at least start it in the pan.

If you eat your steak anything other than extremely well done then, tbh, I can see it being a waste of a perfectly good steak.
    Whosthis wrote: »
    Best advice is don't. Use the pan.

Are you serious? The oven is the best way to cook a steak inho. Seared on a pan, the oven does the rest of the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cienciano wrote: »
    Are you serious? The oven is the best way to cook a steak inho. Seared on a pan, the oven does the rest of the work.

I think the op is intending to oven cook without searing.

Cienciano wrote:

That very much depends on how you eat it. For a well done steak, I would finish it in the oven. But I eat mine blue so it doesn't go next or near the oven.

• Advertisement

That very much depends on how you eat it. For a well done steak, I would finish it in the oven. But I eat mine blue so it doesn't go next or near the oven.

Try putting your steak in a 50deg oven for 20 minutes before searing it on a smoking hot pan.
    That way you can have your steak blue but warm in the centre.

Try putting your steak in a 50deg oven for 20 minutes before searing it on a smoking hot pan. That way you can have your steak blue but warm in the centre.

I like it room temperature in the centre, which my method achieves perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I usually cook my steak on a griddle pan but wouldn't mind trying to cook the piece of sirloin I have in the oven tonight.

Any tips on how best to cook steak in the oven? On a tray or in a dish or in a piece of tinfoil?

Does it need to be turned? How long should it be in the oven for?

Cooking steak in the oven advice: Don't do it!!!

I like it room temperature in the centre, which my method achieves perfectly.

Don't knock it til you've tried it.
    Seriously. Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Directly on the wire shelf with baking sheet on shelf below.

• Advertisement

OP, what are you hoping to gain from oven cooking your steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Do it. I do fillet in the oven , 10/15 mins at 180.
    Heat is less severe than pan. Beautiful and tender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Didn't expect this many replies, as I said in my OP I generally cook my steak on a griddle pan (or BBQ in the summer months).

I just fancied doing something different and seeing how it tasted in the oven (without searing it either) and just wanted to know on any particular way to cook it.

I am well aware how nice it tastes on the pan. :)

Didn't expect this many replies, as I said in my OP I generally cook my steak on a griddle pan (or BBQ in the summer months).

I just fancied doing something different and seeing how it tasted in the oven (without searing it either) and just wanted to know on any particular way to cook it.

I am well aware how nice it tastes on the pan. :)

So did you cook it in the oven in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

syklops wrote: »
    So did you cook it in the oven in the end?

I didn't cook it in the oven in the end, I too fearful of the reaction of some boardsies if I cook it in the oven :D

Just used the griddle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hey, no harm in trying it - don't be put off.
    It just may be that you'll prefer oven-cooked steaks over grilled or fried.
    Each to their own & all that... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

Was at a cookery class the other night where the chef recommended browning the outside of the steaks in a hot pan and then putting the pan in the oven for a while to finish the job, though that was for well done steak!

Advertisement