Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on selling some old gear.

Options
  • 25-01-2016 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭

Hopefully I'm allowed ask for advice in relation to selling here.

I have an old (9 years) Dell Dimension 9200. I'm wondering if I'm sitting on enough of a gold mine to retire early, by selling in parts or whole.

CPU: Core 2 Quad Core Q6600, 2.4GHZ, 8MB L2 Cache 1066MHZ
    RAM: 4x1GB 667MHZ 240 Pin DIMM SDRAM
    Optical Drive: 16X Dual Layer DVD+- RW Drive
    HDD x2: 250GB 7200 RPM
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 SDRAM
    Monitor: 22" (1680 x 1050) 60Hz Widescreen Flat Panel LCD
    There's also a 15in1 media card reader.

The machine runs fine, and up to just over a year ago it was my main machine, running Diablo 3 and other new games relatively well considering it's age, though obviously not on highest settings.

The monitor I've been using, as a second screen, up until Friday. Still in perfect nick. No damaged pixels from what I can see.

The only issue with it would be the fact that it's on the BTX form factor.

I also have an Alienware M17x r2 :o which I'm considering selling too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say you would get maybe 200 for it including the monitor, it really is very old.

Parts wise...

CPU: Core 2 Quad Core Q6600, 2.4GHZ, 8MB L2 Cache 1066MHZ 30
    RAM: 4x1GB 667MHZ 240 Pin DIMM SDRAM - 20
    Optical Drive: 16X Dual Layer DVD+- RW Drive - 10
    HDD x2: 250GB 7200 RPM - 30 for both
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 SDRAM - 20
    Monitor: 22" (1680 x 1050) 60Hz Widescreen Flat Panel LCD - 40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thanks mate. Yeah, the age is an issue, though it has served me well over the years (5 years longer than originally intended), never had any major issues with it at all. All parts are the original ones that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That would have been a beast back then :D
    It's a perfect browsing, media, light gaming machine now though. Cleaned out and up, someone would most likely find a home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Edit: The glorious double post on clicking once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That would have been a beast back then :D
    It's a perfect browsing, media, light gaming machine now though. Cleaned out and up, someone would most likely find a home for it.

It can still handle some recent releases relatively well. Or at least it did a year or so ago. Yeah, get it back to a clean machine. Tidy it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I would say you would get maybe 200 for it including the monitor, it really is very old.

Parts wise...

CPU: Core 2 Quad Core Q6600, 2.4GHZ, 8MB L2 Cache 1066MHZ 30
    RAM: 4x1GB 667MHZ 240 Pin DIMM SDRAM - 20
    Optical Drive: 16X Dual Layer DVD+- RW Drive - 10
    HDD x2: 250GB 7200 RPM - 30 for both
    GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 SDRAM - 20
    Monitor: 22" (1680 x 1050) 60Hz Widescreen Flat Panel LCD - 40

Ignore this terror guy. And his price taggery. He is a pirate, not a cool johnny Depp one. An ak47 thug boat one. It's a gold mine. He wants all that precious gold for himself.

10 years is great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, the value of it is almost irrelevant; Who would buy your PC? Gamers would look elsewhere, and casual PC users would shop elsewhere such as Currys and PCWorld (due to lack of information)

I think you might want to sell the PC for €120-€150 just to entice someone to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, the value of it is almost irrelevant; Who would buy your PC? Gamers would look elsewhere, and casual PC users would shop elsewhere such as Currys and PCWorld (due to lack of information)

I think you might want to sell the PC for €120-€150 just to entice someone to buy it.

Advertisement