Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hr notice before a viewing - landlord selling

Options
  • 25-01-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

We're renting and the house is been put on the market on feb 1st. Our lease is until mid-July.

I just got a snotty email from the agent telling us the date and time of the first opening viewing and then that there might be other viewings (even before the first open viewing) and that they would give us 24 hours notice of viewings. She also made some comment about toys in the playroom and cleaning the kitchen counter and she's given me the rage - the house was SPOTLESS before they came to do the photos - I cleaned the house for 6 hours the night before. I'm disgusted at her.

Surely we are entitled to more than 24 hours notice before a viewing? We've 3 young kids, have been renting the house for 2.5 years and there has never been an issue with the rent. We're not getting a reduction on the rent while this is going on but the rent is lower than the market rent so we haven't rocked that boat to be honest.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You don't have to even allow viewings tbh.

Just email them back and tell them YOUR availability and explain that viewings can only happen within your available slots.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Behaviour like that would seriously wind me up too.
    I'd be half inclined to offer her the opportunity to clean before the viewings- as you spent 6 hours before her photo shoot- and got not so much as a thankyou for your efforts. As mentioned above- you are not obliged to facilitate viewings- you are doing her a favour. She is in debt towards you- you owe her nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

highly1111 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

We're renting and the house is been put on the market on feb 1st. Our lease is until mid-July.

I just got a snotty email from the agent telling us the date and time of the first opening viewing and then that there might be other viewings (even before the first open viewing) and that they would give us 24 hours notice of viewings. She also made some comment about toys in the playroom and cleaning the kitchen counter and she's given me the rage - the house was SPOTLESS before they came to do the photos - I cleaned the house for 6 hours the night before. I'm disgusted at her.

Surely we are entitled to more than 24 hours notice before a viewing? We've 3 young kids, have been renting the house for 2.5 years and there has never been an issue with the rent. We're not getting a reduction on the rent while this is going on but the rent is lower than the market rent so we haven't rocked that boat to be honest.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks
    If they're not going to play nice then don't play with them at all. You are required to provide access for inspections, not sales visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I was in that situation before and made an arrangement that one day a week (every Tuesday) we would make the place available for a viewing and they agreed to drop the rent for the inconvenience.

We also had a stipulation that there were to be no more than 3 or 4 people in the place at any one time because we wanted to minimise any risk of stuff going missing.

If they are getting snotty I'd make sure that they know you are doing them a favour by making it available and need a lot more notice than 24 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yeah I was in a similar position last summer. Told them they could do viewings on a Friday morning up til noon. If that didn't suit, they could have 0 viewings at all. It suited them fine funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've seen snot-nosed estate and letting agents act as if selling or renting a house is akin to curing cancer and they should be heralded as kings among men. They forget that this is your home and they're only there at your convenience.

Next time the agent tells you WHEN a viewing is get back to them and cancel it. Simply tell them it doesn't work for you.

Just keep doing it until they get the message and then let them have them - at YOUR convenience.

As people have pointed out you don't have to allow them to have ANY viewings so if their manners are anything less than impeccable smack them on the wrists and withdraw their viewing privileges like bold children not being allowed watch TV until they learn to be good.

F*cking estate agents - they give me the hump!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

24 hours notice is the minimum amount of notice but you don;t have to agree to the viewing.

The easiest way is to advise your availability and book them in advance. That way when they have people ringing to view they can advise them of the times allocated and work around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I just got a snotty email from the agent telling us the date and time of the first opening viewing and then that there might be other viewings (even before the first open viewing)
    Ensure that the open viewings have limited amount of people, and that everything valuable and shiny and sentimental is locked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Landlord gives reduced rent id just run with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

If you are renting the house and if it is up for sale you are only obliged to give access when it is suitable for you.

The estate agent has to work with you on this, but unfortunately the owner may call an "inspection" and let the EA use this as a viewing slot.

I can imagine it is a pain as you need to get everything in order all the time, I know from buying a house before the family of one I viewed had been of Indian decent and the cooking smell soaked into the house so much that the EA had told them they cant cook while on viewings!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

allibastor wrote: »
    The estate agent has to work with you on this, but unfortunately the owner may call an "inspection" and let the EA use this as a viewing slot.

That's outside the spirit of the RTA 2004 and I'm sure the PRTB wouldn't look fondly on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

That's outside the spirit of the RTA 2004 and I'm sure the PRTB wouldn't look fondly on it.

No, it is very much outside of it. And PRTB are too slow to react to these types of cases, but unfortunately many landlords are using very dodgy methods to ensure their interests are met.

Only speaking to a friend of mine who lived in Rathmines, LL put up rent mid last year, then asked about putting it up again. friend said no as only 1 increase a year, LL said he was selling in October and gave notice. House back up for rent once the guys left, at 250 a month more!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

No, it is very much outside of it. And PRTB are too slow to react to these types of cases, but unfortunately many landlords are using very dodgy methods to ensure their interests are met.

Only speaking to a friend of mine who lived in Rathmines, LL put up rent mid last year, then asked about putting it up again. friend said no as only 1 increase a year, LL said he was selling in October and gave notice. House back up for rent once the guys left, at 250 a month more!!!

I hope your friend took landlord to prtb for illegal eviction, they might be in for some compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

At the end of it, if the landlord scheduled an inspection and an EA showed up with clients, I'd just close the door. 3rd parties who are not agents of the landlord are not allowed to partake in inspections if you don't want them to.

I hope your friend took landlord to prtb for illegal eviction, they might be in for some compensation.

I'm not normally in favour of pursuing these type cases- however, given the circumstances as stated- the landlord needs a wakeup call- they can not get away with this sort behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

TBh I wouldn't be facilitating them. I did in my last place as they were selling. Accommodated estate agent with viewings, kept it clean, etc. When we moved out, he ignored the letters from Electric Ireland to reconnect the line since we left. He docked the disconnection fee from our deposit.

I can imagine it is a pain as you need to get everything in order all the time, I know from buying a house before the family of one I viewed had been of Indian decent and the cooking smell soaked into the house so much that the EA had told them they cant cook while on viewings!!!
    Sounds like the EA pissed them off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Thanks everyone. I emailed back and told her we require 48 hours notice - esp given her "cleaning requirements" (I was a little sarky but her email was rude and uncalled for). I've no intention of facilitating viewings the week it goes on the market ahead of the first open viewing. Thanks for all the opinion and advice. Hopefully it'll be smooth running hereon in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can I ask why you're facilitating viewings at all? If you have a fixed term lease the landlord selling does not give them the right to terminate your lease, you could turn around and say they can view it in July.

All you've done is moved the goalposts- so instead of them needing to give you 24 hours notice of a viewing/inspection- now they have to give you 48 hours instead- and defacto you have to keep the property in walk-in condition at all times.

At very least- in recognition of the massive disruption to my quiet enjoyment of the property- and the fact that you are pretty much on call to vacate the property at 48 hours notice for viewings- I'd suggest a massive discount on the rent for the month- in light of the original 24 hour notice- and the fact that you've decided to bend over backwards and offer them 48 hours access to the property for viewings (and you've not said anything about back to back viewings etc)- I'd suggest at very least a 50% deduction for the property.

The setup as you have left it- will give you very limited peace and quiet in the property- to be honest- if you pitched a tent in the garden you'd probably have more peace than you're going to have here.

In your position- personally- I'd be asking for free rent for the duration- given the remarkable access you've agreed to grant to the property- however, I'd unhappily settle for a 50% discount in the circumstances- if that was all I could get out of the landlord.

Why did you agree to unbridled 48 hour access to the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

All you've done is moved the goalposts- so instead of them needing to give you 24 hours notice of a viewing/inspection- now they have to give you 48 hours instead- and defacto you have to keep the property in walk-in condition at all times.

At very least- in recognition of the massive disruption to my quiet enjoyment of the property- and the fact that you are pretty much on call to vacate the property at 48 hours notice for viewings- I'd suggest a massive discount on the rent for the month- in light of the original 24 hour notice- and the fact that you've decided to bend over backwards and offer them 48 hours access to the property for viewings (and you've not said anything about back to back viewings etc)- I'd suggest at very least a 50% deduction for the property.

The setup as you have left it- will give you very limited peace and quiet in the property- to be honest- if you pitched a tent in the garden you'd probably have more peace than you're going to have here.

In your position- personally- I'd be asking for free rent for the duration- given the remarkable access you've agreed to grant to the property- however, I'd unhappily settle for a 50% discount in the circumstances- if that was all I could get out of the landlord.

Why did you agree to unbridled 48 hour access to the property?

The OP already said they are paying below market rent. I would have thought some element of give and take would be appropriate regardless of the legal position. Of course, I suppose the landlord is well within their rights to give notice of a rent increase if the tenant chooses on sticking to the rule of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP already said they are paying below market rent. I would have thought some element of give and take would be appropriate regardless of the legal position. Of course, I suppose the landlord is well within their rights to give notice of a rent increase if the tenant chooses on sticking to the rule of law.

Only if there hasn't been a rent increase in the last two years.

Give and take- yes, however, showhouse condition at all times- and viewings at 48 hours notice- that seems to be all give- and no take.

If I were the OP- I'd have 'offered' to have the property available for viewings once a week, at a time that suited me- and not deviated from this.

This 48 hour lark- isn't fair on the OP- this might translate into 2-4pm on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays- for the foreseeable....... He/she simply doesn't know- and they have opened the door this sort of mischief on the part of the estate agent.

I work- and if I had to accommodate an estate agent at 48 hours- on weekdays- I'd have to take time off work- never mind the weekends- my only freetime during the week.

I genuinely think the OP has bent over backwards to accommodate the landlord and the estate agent here- and deserves a quid-pro-quo in recognition of their extraordinary generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Give and take is good and for me that would be making it available on one set day a week. Maybe allow the odd other viewiing if the agent is really stuck. But 48 hours notice could allow for a viewing every day of the week

She also made some comment about toys in the playroom and cleaning the kitchen counter and she's given me the rage - the house was SPOTLESS before they came to do the photos - I cleaned the house for 6 hours the night before. I'm disgusted at her.
    TBH, find a new place, and let her know that either you get the full deposit when you leave so she can have viewings whenever, or no viewings until two weeks before you leave.

Advertisement