Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon fishing

Options
  • 25-01-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi lads im looking for some advice..im looking to try my hand at salmon this year..will pick up licence in the next few weeks..looking to fish the barrow,nore or slaney with lures, prawn/shrimp and worms (which ever is permited)...have exsperience bouncing worms for trout and fishing lures and bait for pike,perch and trout..my understanding is an 10 or 11ft rod casting up to 50 grams with a 4000 or 5000 reel loaded with 10-15lb mono is whats needed??..any info on salmon fishing the above rivers would be appreicated..cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Do you really expect any help from Anglers that fish these rivers? Contact Inland Fisheries for information on rivers you might like to try . Anglers are notorious for protecting their own little patches. Tight Lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I don't know the rivers at all OP. Your set up sounds about right though. You could go for the lower end of breaking strain if you are intending summer fishing / grilse.

mountai wrote: »
    Do you really expect any help from Anglers that fish these rivers? Contact Inland Fisheries for information on rivers you might like to try . Anglers are notorious for protecting their own little patches. Tight Lines.

I think you ill find the regulars of the angling forum are very helpful when they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

mountai wrote: »

Not looking for exact beats or spots..just dont want to break any rules..ifi just say some streaches are run by clubs and some streaches are free..i dont want to go just wandering around hoping im not fishing club waters without a permit or private beats..even a name of a tackle shop near the rivers that would tell me where you can and cant go?..or sell day tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Hi lads im looking for some advice..im looking to try my hand at salmon this year..will pick up licence in the next few weeks..looking to fish the barrow,nore or slaney with lures, prawn/shrimp and worms (which ever is permited)...have exsperience bouncing worms for trout and fishing lures and bait for pike,perch and trout..my understanding is an 10 or 11ft rod casting up to 50 grams with a 4000 or 5000 reel loaded with 10-15lb mono is whats needed??..any info on salmon fishing the above rivers would be appreicated..cheers!

Nore and slaney are c&r fly only I'm pretty sure, I'm not sure about barrow but I'm pretty sure it's open and is to worm, I don't know much about worming but I have done a good lot of salmon fishing, On the fly it took me a few months to get my first salmon,
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

See the current regulations here. All three rivers are catch-and-release only, which means the following:
    On rivers where catch and release is permitted (Table 2):

anglers may not use worms,
    anglers must use single, barbless hooks,
    the fish must be handled carefully and should not be removed from the water prior to release.

• Advertisement

See the current regulations here. All three rivers are catch-and-release only, which means the following:
    On rivers where catch and release is permitted (Table 2):

anglers may not use worms,
    anglers must use single, barbless hooks,
    the fish must be handled carefully and should not be removed from the water prior to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Nore and slaney are c&r fly only I'm pretty sure, I'm not sure about barrow but I'm pretty sure it's open and is to worm, I don't know much about worming but I have done a good lot of salmon fishing, On the fly it took me a few months to get my first salmon,
    All the best
    I was informed below the bridge in enniscorthy you are allowed to spin. Anywhere above the old bridge is fly only. I have never fished the slaney but that is what I was told and it is a catch and release fishery. I'm going to fish it early in the season this year hopefully on the fly.

I was informed below the bridge in enniscorthy you are allowed to spin. Anywhere above the old bridge is fly only. I have never fished the slaney but that is what I was told and it is a catch and release fishery. I'm going to fish it early in the season this year hopefully on the fly.

I'm not familiar with the Slaney. If you are allowed to spin, be aware that in any C&R river spinning is only permitted with a single barbless hook, so take off those trebles!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the Slaney. If you are allowed to spin, be aware that in any C&R river spinning is only permitted with a single barbless hook, so take off those trebles!

Yes that would be right Zzippy, as stated I thought it was fly only... My mistake.

Advertisement