Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job require me to be 'fully flexible' with hours?

Options
  • 25-01-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work part time (17.5 hours a week) and in my contract it states that I am required to be fully flexible with when the hours are worked and that I might have to do additional hours on evenings or weekends. There's usually a kinda fixed rota so I might work a Tuesday, Friday and half day on Saturday. Sometimes though we have evening events on and I can be asked to go to these. I get a decent amount of notice when these things are on.

If I've signed a contract confirming I'll be flexible with my hours can I say no to certain shifts/evening events or do I have to do them? We've a new team leader I don't like and she's looking for a reason to get on my case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

minecr@ft wrote: »
    I work part time (17.5 hours a week) and in my contract it states that I am required to be fully flexible with when the hours are worked and that I might have to do additional hours on evenings or weekends. There's usually a kinda fixed rota so I might work a Tuesday, Friday and half day on Saturday. Sometimes though we have evening events on and I can be asked to go to these. I get a decent amount of notice when these things are on.

If I've signed a contract confirming I'll be flexible with my hours can I say no to certain shifts/evening events or do I have to do them? We've a new team leader I don't like and she's looking for a reason to get on my case.

If you signed the contract, then no, i don't think you can pick and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaylalala

Depends what kind of place.

I worked for several months at a job with a signed contract stating 3-45 hours and fully flexible and all sort of other things like traveling at short notice. Manager decided he didn't like me not over charging customers and not finding his perverse attitude appealing. He tried to make things difficult for me by rostering me for very few hours (maybe 2-2.5 hour shifts spread over the week at 7am or the evening I had classes). He gave me a disciplinary meeting and "fired me" only to have HR ring him and tell him he couldn't fire me on those grounds as the level flexibility is related to the hours being given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

CruelCoin wrote: »
    If you signed the contract, then no, i don't think you can pick and choose.

I think this is right.

You're only working 18 hours, so it's assumed you can plan your life around these hours. So long as your given enough notice then you'll just have to live with it.

Can you swap shifts with a colleague if they don't suit?

Advertisement