Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address for pps

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

My roommate is foreign and he has asked if I could help him by pretending that his mate (also foreign) is living with us. His friend requires a proof of address in order to get a pps number.

Now this guy has a job (they work together) but has seemingly been having trouble getting in touch with his own landlord to sort out some proof of address.

They want to write a letter and send it along with a bill (which happens to be in my name) instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Could it affect me adversely at some point un the future? Would my landlord be p*ssed off if he found out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

eet fuk wrote: »
    My roommate is foreign and he has asked if I could help him by pretending that his mate (also foreign) is living with us. His friend requires a proof of address in order to get a pps number.

Now this guy has a job (they work together) but has seemingly been having trouble getting in touch with his own landlord to sort out some proof of address.

They want to write a letter and send it along with a bill (which happens to be in my name) instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Could it affect me adversely at some point un the future? Would my landlord be p*ssed off if he found out?
    Is he allowed work here? Can he work without a PPS number?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Whatever about the legalities or ethics of the situation, I don't think they'd accept a utility bill as proof without their name and address on the same document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would not allow anyone especially someone foreign to use my address for a pps number as they may not be entitled to work here and may not be entitled to a pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TheChizler wrote: »
    Whatever about the legalities or ethics of the situation, I don't think they'd accept a utility bill as proof without their name and address on the same document.

They do accept it, provided it's accompanied by a letter from the LL.

op, don't do it.

The lads may be telling the truth, or they may not. You have no way of telling. Only write letters for people who actually do live with you.

And remember that even for people who are living with you, you aren't certifying their right to work (that's up to their employer) just where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

They also need to present a passport/id card when applying for a PPS number.

Also you are only certifying that they lived with you at the time you signed.

I have signed for someone as long as they stayed with me on the day I signed for them. Where they live after that is none of my concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If he genuinely lives with you, then it shouldn't be an issue.

If he doesn't live there, then I certainly wouldn't be signing anything. If this is to get a PPS, then it would be fraud to provide such false information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement