Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusing to work for the rude and obnoxious

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm wondering is there any discriminatory issue with just plain refusing to provide services for alarm bell people.

Is it okay (in a legal sense rather than professional sense) to just say "Sorry, we just don't want to do business with you" or do you have to provide some excuse (too busy etc)

While we're at it any tips for dealing with difficult people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

if you dont want to deal with people then maybe business isnt for you. sometimes the most akward demanding customer can be your best customer

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Oedo

neris wrote: »
    if you dont want to deal with people then maybe business isnt for you. sometimes the most akward demanding customer can be your best customer

Awkward and demanding is one thing. Roaring down the phone at you because you didn't email them a quotation over the weekend is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I have a thing we call w@nker tax
    Quote them 10% higher
    We all do it so you either get rid or have more profit
    It's justice
    Some people I just quote double though
    One (who was really bad ) paid treble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It sounds like a bit of a mire you could get yourself into. I do not know if you can just refuse to deal with someone, I would imagine you can provided you are not doing it on the basis of age, sex, race, etc etc, but why give anyone the chance to object? If the person you are dealing with - or rather do not want to deal with - should happen to come under any of the headings for discrimination then they could claim that that was the reason rather than your actual reason of them being difficult.

Even if someone had not paid you it would still be politic to find some (if you like) vague and unconvincing excuse that they know is not true, and they know why they are being refused, but they can't prove it.

The legalities are probably the least problem, do you really want people who deal with the public and have great opportunity to bad-mouth you, to be offended enough to cause problems for you? And what if you come across an odd alarm-bell installer who is courteous and reasonable, do you want to have to refuse them business because of your stance?

Sorry, you have probably thought all this through and just want to know the legal situation, but I would suggest being a bit cautious.

duplicate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Op means people that ring the bells not that actually install alarms lol

Tigger wrote: »
    Op means people that ring the bells not that actually install alarms lol

*shrug* ok, advice is still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

The "**** off" quote is your friend here.

Pretty much what most insurance companys do with young learner drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Oedo

Sorry for clarity I meant people who set off alarm bells in your mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Give them a high quote and a fulfillment timeline out in the distance somewhere that will turn them off wanting to give you the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement