Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the diffs between private schools in D2 and D6?

Options
  • 25-01-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I am not from Dublin but live in south dublin city. I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons of the south dublin city private schools.

People are polite when I ask and say they are all great it is just personal preference! Not that helpful as I have nothing to base my personal preference on as it is hard to understand what is the real deal with each of the schools. I can read about the school ethos on the websites but that is just marketing.

We are looking around Dublin 2 and 6 mainly. We have a girl and boy so would ideally like a co-ed but it might not suit them when they are ready to go so would be great to get an understanding of the differences between the schools in the area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

jessie7 wrote: »
    I am not from Dublin but live in south dublin city. I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons of the south dublin city private schools.

People are polite when I ask and say they are all great it is just personal preference! Not that helpful as I have nothing to base my personal preference on as it is hard to understand what is the real deal with each of the schools. I can read about the school ethos on the websites but that is just marketing.

We are looking around Dublin 2 and 6 mainly. We have a girl and boy so would ideally like a co-ed but it might not suit them when they are ready to go so would be great to get an understanding of the differences between the schools in the area.

Thanks

About 5k Euro a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

What are the criteria you wish to base this objective assessment on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

There are only 3 Co-Ed private schools in D 6 / D2 - Sanford Park Ranelagh, Stratford Rathgar and High School Rathgar. There is only one Private boys school in D2 - CUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why do you want a private school? Those reasons should then inform the choice of school you wish.

D2 and D6 are reasonably large areas, picking one that's on a public transport line from where you currently live should also be an issue, or where you work if you're going to drop them off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Assuming "going to university" is how you're assessing, this table may help: http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/about-school-league-tables#sd

But obviously that's a narrow definition and there's lots of other criteria.

About as helpful as I can be tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aren't the vast majority of CUS students, repeat students, i.e. they are all 17-19 and so the school is probably less suitable for younger students.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Victor wrote: »
    Aren't the vast majority of CUS students, repeat students, i.e. they are all 17-19 and so the school is probably less suitable for younger students.

No - I think you might be confusing it with the Institute of Education, a grind school also on Leeson St. CUS is a proper secondary school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Victor wrote: »

I think you're probably thinking of The Institute of Education a few doors up - most of the students there are repeat (...or a large proportion of them at least).

CUS has a 1st thru 6th year program, whereas IOE only has 5th/6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Hanley wrote: »
    I think you're probably thinking of The Institute of Education a few doors up - most of the students there are repeat (...or a large proportion of them at least).

CUS has a 1st thru 6th year program, whereas IOE only has 5th/6th year.

CUS also has a primary school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is an impossible question to answer. There is no 'better' school. People's interaction with the education system depends mainly on their home experiences, thus everyone's experiences, even of the same school, will be different. You are very unlikely to find a person who could objectively compare a number of schools, unless for some reason, they attended them all.

If you want your child to turn out a well rounded individual, with a good attitude to education, that is done at home. Such a child could go to the most expensive private school in the country, or a hole in the ditch and they will attain their potential.

If you're thinking in terms of networking, I presume the school with the largest numbers is the one to choose.

Do not make the mistake of thinking private school guarantees engaged or qualified teachers, or a good anti-bullying policy, or a happy experience for the child.

tl; dr. Doesn't matter which school they go to, if you've done the groundwork at home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement