Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Islamic State militants planning for 'large-scale' attacks on Europe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

ISIS need to be defeated and fast. Not just in a military way either. The whole makeup of some of these countries is what is wrong. Add to this unneeded Western aggression like the Iraq war and you have a very dangerous situation.

Now, visualise the situation in these countries? I will make up a fictional country. The Islamic Emirate of Wadia has in recent years known nothing but war and turmoil. Bickering among its now deposed royal family lead to civil war with the country's economy collapsing. Soon, a communist government took over. A popular 'Islamic revolution' occurred in the mid 1980s and was lead by a deranged Mullah who has set up a personality cult. Of course, Wadia has oil. The West backed up and armed mad Mullah and the USSR sent weapons to the fragile communist administration. Soon, the USSR lost interest and the revolution took over in 1987. Many ex government members were executed, as were top army officers and all communist or royalists were rounded up and executed in the reign of terror from 1987 to 1990. The regime got more and more anti-Western especially since money to it was stopped after the West and the USSR improved their relationship. Meanwhile, the new 'Islamist' Wadi regime enforces a dress code for women, a beard code for men, bans alcohol and gambling, and imposes draconian laws to punish anyone who disobeys.

The world is more interested in the collapse of the Berlin wall, improved relationships between the 2 superpowers and the fall of Eastern European communism. Wadia like all its Middle Eastern neighbours is just seem as a petrol pump and while the world publically denounces its violent and repressive regime, they still buy oil from it and tolerate it.

Meanwhile, the regime gets madder and madder. Cinema, music, festivals, TV, radio, coffee, tea, certain foodtypes, soft drinks, most books, sport and the Koran in the native language all get banned. Each citizen is instructed to participate in marches denouncing America, Russia, Israel and Wadia's neighbours and posters of the mad Mullah or Emir of Wadia are everywhere. Sponsorship of violent terrorism is rife. Sunni Islam of the Salafist variety is the only legal religion and many Christians, Shias, Jews and atheists have been executed.

Meanwhile, the mad Mullah and his inner circle live it up and keep all the wealth for themselves. They disobey every law that would end up with the people getting executed. At the same time, the people live in fear and poverty. The country increasingly isolates itself from the world and bans tourism. Children are educated to hate certain countries. Suddenly, you have a massive disaffected youth with nothing to do (remember there is no alcohol, pubs, cinemas, sport, TV, radio, music, concerts, festivals, etc. and meetings are discouraged unless organised by the state) and are taught to hate the West. Many Wadian citizens are encouraged to join terrorist groups and Wadia shelters al Qaeda and other such groups and has many terrorist training camps on its soil.

Then, a major terrorist attack on the West takes place. Wadian natives have been identified as the major organisers. The US declares war on the Islamic Emirate of Wadia after the administration would not cooperate. As of 2015, 15 years of war have destroyed the country. The regime is long gone and the mad Mullah is dead but now ISIS have taken hold and the state is full of youths who have no hobbies (as they were banned) and who are full of hatred.

Now, Wadia does not exist. But it demonstrates the backstory of many Middle Eastern, Central Asian and North/West/East African countries. Societies have been stripped bare of culture by warped dictators and thus leave citizens bored. But nature does not like a vacuum and the hatred preached by governments in the middle east means that since drinking, sport and music are often banned, they exchange their beer glasses, footballs and guitars for guns, bombs and bullets. When the West invades and many civilians die, all the brainwashing the regime did guarantees genuine hatred and a quest for revenge.

This is what created ISIS and other groups. This mentality has to stop. Dictators have banned innocent passtimes and the West and other powers have meddled in places and have between them created a monster that has lead to ISIS and other extremism.

The ugly truth is that the only way for the west to stop islamic goverments taking over in these countries is by backing secular, right wing dictators. Democracy is not going to work for the likes of Syria, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Tunisia. They just haven't progressed far enough to really understand or embrace democracy as a valid form of government. It might take them 50, 100 or even 200 years to get there but in the here and now we really only have one option.

It kills me to say it but that whole region would be far more stable and the average citizen living there better off if Mubarak, Hussein, and Al-Assad et al were still firmly in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I think Ireland would be a target. Imagine the headlines worldwide if something like All Ireland Finals day was hit with a bomb/gunmen as in Paris. It would rock the country to the core. Exactly the reaction these people are looking for.

Let's not over-egg our perceived importance on the world stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

isis didn't really threaten us, they have a clever media team and irish internetters did as they were expected and made a big deal out of it. The hype might inspire lone wolf attacks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Everyone needs to walk around with portable explosive sniffers.
    We'd soon have all the farkers rounded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

bear1 wrote: »
    I wonder what the governments plan is for an event like this. Relying on the raf to come over is just utter stupidity.

No plan

Civil defence maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

They could collaborate with dissent republican elements who could help them in an attack against a common enemy.

The scenario of ISIS teaming up with dissident IRA and using Ireland as a base or hiding place when planning an attack on the UK is most likely already happening.

Are you off your rocker.....what a load of bollox. Yeah the dissidents are teaming up with ISIS. Jesus Christ iv heard it all now.

Is this the latest attempt by people to try and blame the dissidents for things???? if it is they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

mfceiling wrote:
    Hey hey...that Muslim lad with the head gear, the beard, the long robe and the donegal jersey looks iffy...

The Jihadi Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

eeguy wrote: »
    You'd be mad to give a f*ck about ISIS attacks.

You've a better chance being killed on the road than ever being involved in one of those attacks.

4 out of 5 people in the Bataclan theatre on the worse night of violence in France since WW2 got out unharmed and many didn't even know what they were running from.

The papers would be shocking boring if they had nothing to hype.

Ya lets ignore all the murders from the last few years, problems always disappear when they are ignored
    Sure whats 100+ Frenchies kicking the bucket, you're bang on the money there

etoughguy wrote:
    Ya lets ignore all the murders from the last few years, problems always disappear when they are ignored Sure whats 100+ Frenchies kicking the bucket, you're bang on the money there

Well sitting at home worrying isn't going to do any good either is it? Why let anyone steal your happiness and peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Well sitting at home worrying isn't going to do any good either is it? Why let anyone steal your happiness and peace of mind

Believe you me I aint worrying one iota and no one steals my peace of mind, I was referring more to the persons flippant disregard for life

etoughguy wrote:
    Believe you me I aint worrying one iota and no one steals my peace of mind, I was referring more to the persons flippant disregard for life

I wouldn't concern myself with any of that either tho. Thousands of people are murdered everyday,but the world goes nuts for a few people murdered in Paris, I don't get it, it seems the media tell us who to feel bad for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Paris is known as the seat of government for a country with a colonial history in many Arab countries, and is bombing Syria today.

It doesn't take a genius to see why Daesh would target them.

Ireland doesn't make sense as a target.

Daesh don't really make sense though. They are trying to provoke a wider war between Islam and everybody else imo. Otherwise they'd be consolidating, no?

They are extraordinarily provocative and their reach to young idiots is strong. So why not Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Daesh don't really make sense though. They are trying to provoke a wider war between Islam and everybody else imo. Otherwise they'd be consolidating, no?

They are extraordinarily provocative and their reach to young idiots is strong. So why not Ireland?

Ireland does have an exceptional supply of young idiots alright!

Though if they are trying to provoke war as seems their ambition??
    Surly their are easier bears to poke (like Briton??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Heroditas wrote: »
    Let's not over-egg our perceived importance on the world stage!

It's not about importance on the world stage. It's about publicity and spreading terror. What did they gain by attacking the bataclan?? Publicity and terror. Showing that they can strike the "infidel" wherever they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Some lad arrested in Disneyland france with guns - he had a copy of the Koran I was shocked to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Ireland does have an exceptional supply of young idiots alright!

Though if they are trying to provoke war as seems their ambition??
    Surly their are easier bears to poke (like Briton??)

The easiest bear to poke I'd suggest is the least prepared. The UK has had its intelligence mishaps but they learn. As the IRA said to them, that they only have to be lucky once.

The idiots who are radicalised from the web can strike anywhere for any perceived sleight. It's a scary concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dublin would be a viable option for a Mumbai style attack. So easy to get on the Luas with a rucksack.

A threat exists no matter how small one wants to perceive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

It's not about importance on the world stage. It's about publicity and spreading terror. What did they gain by attacking the bataclan?? Publicity and terror. Showing that they can strike the "infidel" wherever they like.

It was an act of revenge. Daesh has very little to blame Ireland for relative to other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JPCN1 wrote: »
    The easiest bear to poke I'd suggest is the least prepared. The UK has had its intelligence mishaps but they learn. As the IRA said to them, that they only have to be lucky once.

The idiots who are radicalised from the web can strike anywhere for any perceived sleight. It's a scary concept.

Yes while they can strike relatively easy in Ireland....it's just their stated aim is to draw countries into a ground war in Syria and ireland in this case is not worth attacking....as no one anywhere thinks Ireland would enter such a scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Some lad arrested in Disneyland france with guns - he had a copy of the Koran I was shocked to read.

You mean a Koran doesn't count as a day pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes while they can strike relatively easy in Ireland....it's just their stated aim is to draw countries into a ground war in Syria and ireland in this case is not worth attacking....as no one anywhere thinks Ireland would enter such a scenario

The thing is an attack anywhere in Western Europe in particular is going to be something that will anger a lot of countries.

Eastern Europe is less of a target than Western Europe.
    Russia being the real target for eastern Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Could you imagine the death toll if that guy had gotten through? The absolute sickness of these people to attack a place designed for kids to be entertained. Kids who have sweet fcuk all to do with their idiotic ideology. As a father it doesn't bear thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Nodin wrote: »
    You mean a Koran doesn't count as a day pass?

Nope , Mickey Mouse doesn't approve.

It might hovever indicate his motivation behind this failed attack - just a wild thought.

Nope , Mickey Mouse doesn't approve.

It might hovever indicate his motivation behind this failed attack - just a wild thought.

Wild indeed, wild indeed

"The 28-year-old man arrested at the Disneyland Paris hotel was also carrying a box of ammunition and a copy of the Koran in French, BFMTV reported quoting an investigation source.
    But he was not known to security sources and a police source told AFP that a preliminary investigation did not point to terrorism"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35437001

To be honest, anyone who intends to shoot people dead in an amusement park for me is a terrorist.

bear1 wrote: »
    To be honest, anyone who intends to shoot people dead in an amusement park for me is a terrorist.

Theres no indication he wanted to shoot anyone at this stage. He was caught by a metal detector, not running round shooting.

Nodin wrote:
    "The 28-year-old man arrested at the Disneyland Paris hotel was also carrying a box of ammunition and a copy of the Koran in French, BFMTV reported quoting an investigation source. But he was not known to security sources and a police source told AFP that a preliminary investigation did not point to terrorism"

How can it not be terrorism, was he white?

How can it not be terrorism, was he white?

Doesn't say. He had the Koran in French though, which is not that kosher afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Theres no indication he wanted to shoot anyone at this stage.
    What, he was just carrying a gun and a box of ammo for good luck, was he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

cdeb wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/man-with-guns-and-the-koran-arrested-at-disneyland-paris-34406242.html
    One police source told the AFP agency the investigation did not point to terrorism, and that the man said he was carrying the weapons for self-protection.

Local police were last night handling the inquiry, which has not been passed to anti-terrorism investigators.
    A frightened person who would use the Koran as a first line of defence (and a gun as the second) against attackers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd say he was looking to cheat at one of the amusement shooting galleries! :pac:

Could be for a number of reasons. What did you think/assume when people were found carrying guns before jihadi attacks started?

osarusan wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/man-with-guns-and-the-koran-arrested-at-disneyland-paris-34406242.html

A frightened person who would use the Koran as a first line of defence (and a gun as the second0 against attackers?

True. All he has to know in Arabic is "Brothers - The Americans who defiled the prophet are over there".

Could be for a number of reasons. What did you think/assume when people were found carrying guns before jihadi attacks started?
    I don't really understand the relevance of your question?

For what earthly (if you'll pardon the pun) reasons would he be bringing a gun and a box of ammo into Disneyland? To defend himself from Mickey Mouse? To defend himself from everyone else who also got their guns confiscated?

A gun in self defence - maybe at a stretch. A box of ammo for re-loading too? Nope.

I've seen your contributions on other threads, and have to say I'm baffled by your continual "benefit of the doubt" stance - it's like everyone's a nice guy up until they start shooting. It's a nonsensical, head-in-the-sand approach.

I'm not going to jump the gun (yay!) and say this is definitely ISIS so all Syrians should be kicked out of Europe - but I find it very hard to believe this guy was up to any good at all. And I don't believe the excuse being offered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Wild indeed, wild indeed

"The 28-year-old man arrested at the Disneyland Paris hotel was also carrying a box of ammunition and a copy of the Koran in French, BFMTV reported quoting an investigation source.
    But he was not known to security sources and a police source told AFP that a preliminary investigation did not point to terrorism"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35437001

After thinking long and hard about a cogent counter argument about people not being allowed to carry guns in the first place (this not being 'Murica), about bringing said guns to a public place, INCLUDING live ammo, about the weapons being automatic, about him having TWO of them (plus a knife), I have decided that the above sentence needs none of that as a counter argument.
    The only counter argument for the sentence in bold is: BOLLOCKS!
    This is EXACTLY the kind of attack IS wants. People who are not known to the authorities, or even IS themselves, to pick up a weapon, get themselves to a public place and indiscriminately start killing kafirs.

I can't understand how you'd think someone bringing weapons and ammo into an amusement park doesn't constitute intention to cause harm.
    The wife ran away and was caught by police, if it was merely a misunderstanding then why run away?
    He is also reported as saying that they were for his own safety... Riiiight. Why would you need protection in Disneyland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jesus, the bang of desperation off this post! Would you care to wildly speculate about what those reasons might be so that I can chide you for unsubstantiated wild speculation?

I don't really understand the relevance of your question?

For what earthly (if you'll pardon the pun) reasons would he be bringing a gun and a box of ammo into Disneyland?

Why assume everyone with a gun is a terrorist...fairly obvious.

Crime. Personal protection. mental illness.

I see theres a number of people angry at the BBC for not saying what they want to hear already.

Why assume everyone with a gun is a terrorist...fairly obvious.
    I don't.

But someone with guns (plural) and a box of ammo going into Eurodisney - 100% up to no good.

Again - what possible need have you for a gun for protection in Eurodisney? Let along two guns and a box of ammo?

I think you're remarkably - dangerously - naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The threat is real, obviously, but needs to be in context. More people die in Europe most years of dog attacks than they do of international terrorism. I tend to look at statement's like that of Mr Wainwright's and ask myself where is the agenda.
    Mr Wainwright was unveiling the findings of a new Europol report on changes in how the jihadist group operates, coinciding with the launch of the agency's new counterterrorism centre in The Hague.

Ahhhhh there it is.

I don't.

But someone with guns (plural) and a box of ammo going into Eurodisney - 100% up to no good.

Again - what possible need have you for a gun for protection in Eurodisney? Let along two guns and a box of ammo?

I think you're remarkably - dangerously - naive.

I never said he was a saint, I'm just saying that he wasn't necessarily going to run around Euro Disney shooting the mickey mousesesez

You know there's a rake of sex workers that do business in Euro Disney? And that Paris is not, by any stretch, a crime free zone?

So you think someone in the sex industry is going to saunter up to Eurodisney, while Paris is on its highest-ever terror alert and actively looking out for Koran-and-gun-carrying numpties, with two guns and a handful of ammo?

And you think that's more likely that that this is a continuation of what's already going on with the Bataclan/the Amsterdam train/Charlie Hebdo?

Right so.

Nodin must be a paid up member of Isis.. You've tried to defend the indefensible for months now.. Why are you sympathising terrorists I can not understand. These guys could blow up your family and you'd still be on here making excuses for them

So you think someone in the sex industry is going to saunter up to Eurodisney, while Paris is on its highest-ever terror alert and actively looking out for Koran-and-gun-carrying numpties, with two guns and a handful of ammo?.

No, I think - amongst other possibilities - somebody might be collecting "his money" and not want to have to give over to another "enterpeneur" on the way home.
    comfortkid wrote:
    Nodin must be a paid up member of Isis.. You've tried to defend the indefensible
    for months now.. Why are you sympathising terrorists I can not understand. These
    guys could blow up your family and you'd still be on here making excuses for
    them

Lets get back a moment - the French cops have said this wasn't related to terrorism. That is not secret code for "I support IS"

On a side note, this guy should get at least a 10-year jail term. Maybe even close to life.

Regardless of what he intended to do, or of the fact that he didn't harm anyone, there has to be a very strict penalty for someone in the current climate going into Eurodisney with concealed weapons and ammo (and a Koran for added terrorist impressions of course). The law has to be seen to come down on him like a tonne of bricks to discourage any idiots who think it'd be a hilarious aul prank to try sneak a gun into a place like this.

• Advertisement

Nodin must be a paid up member of Isis.. You've tried to defend the indefensible for months now.. Why are you sympathising terrorists I can not understand. These guys could blow up your family and you'd still be on here making excuses for them
    I can picture Nodin with a gun to his head while a Muslim-looking fella shouts "Allahu Akbar! Prepare to die!", and Nodin calmly hands over his wallet - sure it's probably just a lad going a bit over the top on an aul mugging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I also think it was crime rather than terrorism

I doubt ISIS would use a one man band to attack something that big

crime has not stopped because we are at war

I can picture Nodin with a gun to his head while a Muslim-looking fella shouts "Allahu Akbar! Prepare to die!", and Nodin calmly hands over his wallet - sure it's probably just a lad going a bit over the top on an aul mugging.

I this stage I could be strung up by a drunken mob and my body used to fuel a rasher barbeque and the muslims would get the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

On a side note, this guy should get at least a 10-year jail term. Maybe even close to life.

Regardless of what he intended to do, or of the fact that he didn't harm anyone, there has to be a very strict penalty for someone in the current climate going into Eurodisney with concealed weapons and ammo (and a Koran for added terrorist impressions of course). The law has to be seen to come down on him like a tonne of bricks to discourage any idiots who think it'd be a hilarious aul prank to try sneak a gun into a place like this.

This man, assuming it is proved that he committed a crime (in this instance, likely criminal possession of a firearm), should receive the standard sentence applicable. He should not receive an arbitrary sentence of 10 years because you think it's a nice round number or a life sentence because of the "current climate".

I also think it was crime rather than terrorism

I doubt ISIS would use a one man band to attack something that big
    It doesn't have to be ISIS to be terrorism.

If it was a one-man band, unconnected officially with ISIS, but drawn in by their teachings and with aspirations of leaving a legacy on this earth by going out with a bang, then it's in this day and age, it's terrorism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement