Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads With Audio

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭

Lads and lasses there's at least one banner ad that's playing audio this last few days. I'm not the sort of person who uses an ad blocker because I understand it's an important source of revenue. But come on, be cool. Audio ads are not cool.

Even Facebook haven't resorted to this.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Bill knows audio ads are not cool.

Be like Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Melodeon

There's a dedicated thread for reporting this sort of thing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938

A screengrab image and the URL the ad is pointing at is considered very useful, if you can provide that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Melodeon wrote: »
    There's a dedicated thread for reporting this sort of thing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855938

A screengrab image and the URL the ad is pointing at is considered very useful, if you can provide that too.

Cool, cheers. If it happens again I'll grab the link and pop it in that thread.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Audio ads are definitely not cool which is why we don't intentionally put any on the site. However a few of the slippery buggers get through our guidelines on Google Ads by pretending to be lovely, quiet, non-invasive ads. As above, if you can post details in the inappropriate ads thread if it happens again, that would be very helpful. We can then block it from here. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Cool, cheers. If it happens again I'll grab the link and pop it in that thread.

You're looking for trouble clicking it....Hell you're looking for trouble looking at it at all.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/08/you-say-advertising-i-say-block-that-malware/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/01/google-blocked-780-million-bad-ads-in-2015/

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Niamh, perhaps you guys might think about using some type of automated testing to see if ads attempt to play audio? I'm not sure if this has been tried before, or even if it works... I suspect the Selenium test framework may help here if it's able to detect audio access attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just had a USAA ad playing as I was reading this thread. They happen all the time.

If i leave boards.ie open for more than about five minutes there will be an audio ad. The worst is when they happen when the tab isnt even open and you're listening to another audio source.

I just had a USAA ad playing as I was reading this thread. They happen all the time.

If i leave boards.ie open for more than about five minutes there will be an audio ad. The worst is when they happen when the tab isnt even open and you're listening to another audio source.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

InTheTrees wrote: »

If you could report these in the Inappropriate Ads thread when they happen, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

If you could report these in the Inappropriate Ads thread when they happen, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Except I really dont want to click on any ads.

My click will be registered as a response to the Advert and i'll probably be subject to even more from the same source.

• Advertisement
Advertisement