Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauces for Steaks

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

I love steak and have it most weeks but I think the only sauce I've ever made for one has been a basic pepper cream sauce. I'm looking to get a bit more adventurous than that and would like to push the boat out somewhat and really put some effort in as I believe a good sauce can really elevate a dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or perhaps recopies of sauces that would be considered up to restaurant standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bearnaise is a classic steak accompaniment, but I can't stand it because I loathe tarragon.

I like red wine and pepper sauce, garlic-lemon or garlic-chilli butter. But my all time favourite "sauce" for steak is cottage cheese mixed with the juice and zest of a lemon, a good bunch of fresh thyme leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. The cool, creaminess is just such a gorgeous contrast to the hot, peppery steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Possibly boring but I like pepper gravy as opposed to pepper sauce as cream based sauces upset my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I make regular Bisto with any meat juice I can catch in the airfryer then stir a load of fried onion in with it before pouring it on, a bit low brow but probably the tastiest thing I cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I like it with salt and pepper and finely sliced garlic, then some Worcestershire sauce and coleman's english mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Doing well to get this far without any steak snobs guffawing at the thought of any steak "tainted" by sauce!

I lightly fry some mushroom and onions and add in some beef stock, ground pepper a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce.

Play around with making a few different sauces and you'll find something you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Doing well to get this far without any steak snobs guffawing at the thought of any steak "tainted" by sauce!

I lightly fry some mushroom and onions and add in some beef stock, ground pepper a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce.

Play around with making a few different sauces and you'll find something you like

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've got lazy enough to use Lidl's tetrapaked pepper sauce, and some butter-sauted mushrooms and onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cook some sliced mushrooms in butter. Pour cream into the hot pan on top of the mushrooms and let it reduce. Season and add some fresh thyme. It's not adventurous but it's delicious!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I like to brown sliced mushrooms in butter, then add a few cloves of crushed garlic, followed by beef stock and black pepper. Thicken slightly with cornflour and stir through some cream 2 mins before serving. Delish.

This sauce is also great with meatballs, mash and cranberry sauce and is excellent for dipping chips into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Bearnaise is a classic steak accompaniment, but I can't stand it because I loathe tarragon.

I like red wine and pepper sauce, garlic-lemon or garlic-chilli butter. But my all time favourite "sauce" for steak is cottage cheese mixed with the juice and zest of a lemon, a good bunch of fresh thyme leaves and a drizzle of olive oil. The cool, creaminess is just such a gorgeous contrast to the hot, peppery steak.

Do you blend this sauce or eat it lumpy? And is it cold? Imagining it lumpy is quite unappetising. I also find it hard to imagine the flavours.

Edited to say: now that I think of it I love cool blue cheese dip with chicken wings, not entirely dissimilar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do you blend this sauce or eat it lumpy? And is it cold? Imagining it lumpy is quite unappetising. I also find it hard to imagine the flavours.

Edited to say: now that I think of it I love cool blue cheese dip with chicken wings, not entirely dissimilar.

Yup, cold and lumpy!

Although the lemon juice and oil loosen out the cheese quite a lot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've done a rum sauce a few times. It's quite nice.

There's a mix you can leave the steak in for a while before cooking but the sauce is basically fry off until soft some onions in the same pan as the steaks were done in, add in 2 tblsp of dark rum and 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns. Reduce heat, add cream (125ml) while stirring. Bring to boil, remove from heat. Pour over steaks. Tuck in.

Those measurements are to serve 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

From the Cooking Chat thread some time ago...
    Instead of a sauce, how about serving the steaks with a herb butter?

Mix softened butter with minced garlic (you could roast it first if you prefer a mellower flavour), & some finely chopped herbs such as thyme, parsley & tarragon.

Then roll into a fat 'sausage' in cling film & chill in the fridge. When the steaks are ready to serve remove the cling film & cut the butter 'sausage' into thick discs & place one on each of the hot steaks. The discs will melt into a nice buttery, herby sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

For me nothing beats a nice chunk of garlic butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

This is what I do for mine:

Remove the steaks from the pan to rest
    Add a glass of red wine, make sure heat is set to max, and boil for 3-4 minutes until the wine has reduced to a syrupy mixture
    Take off the heat and add a good knob of butter and mix through until the butter has fully melted in
    Pour over the steaks

It's really good!

Advertisement