Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Bowl

• 26-01-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

What are people's thoughts on the pro Bowl?

Personally I think it's a bit of a waste of time. It's gets lost in all the hype around the championship games and the SB. Players gets voted to play and then can't because are in the play offs or don't want to play as couldn't be bothered traveling all the way to Hawaii.

How about moving it to mid way through the season. Every team plays 8 games in 9 weeks, then play the Pro Bowl, then the second 8 games in 9 weeks. This still allows bye weeks for logistics around London games etc.

Also are Pro Bowl appearances (or selections) included in players accolades? I certainly wouldn't rate them with such things are All Pro selections, SB/play off states or even regular season states either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

American football isn't a sport that lends itself to All-star games. I watch football religiously but never watch the probowl.

There must be something they could do that would make it watchable but the current format isn't it.

The time zone doesn't help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

American football isn't a sport that lends itself to All-star games. I watch football religiously but never watch the probowl.

There must be something they could do that would make it watchable but the current format isn't it.

The time zone doesn't help either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Teddy Bridgewater is a Pro Bowl QB this year. That says more about it that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Waste of time. Its like a giant pillow fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

They should name the players, give them a token (a jersey or something) and leave it at that. The actual game is a non-event, totally pointless.

Fly a bunch of sick kids to Hawaii for a few weeks instead of the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

They should name the players, give them a token (a jersey or something) and leave it at that. The actual game is a non-event, totally pointless.

Fly a bunch of sick kids to Hawaii for a few weeks instead of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Team Irvin all the way - Team Rice sucks. Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a load of shit, a complete waste of time, and should be done away with. I really wish it would fuck off but it won't as it's an excuse for a free jolly for everyone involved.

The fact that people involved in the game use the "Pro Bowl" type to successfully strengthen a players credentials is actually beyond belief. It's a fucking popularity contest voted on by the fans for fuck sake!

For years I defended the pro bowls but I've gotten really sick of it it really is pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Bucs have like 5 players playing this year!

I might actually watch the first half before falling asleep.

Winston, Martin, Mankins, David and McCoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

apparently there is something like 135 players selected for the pro bowl this year! Ridiculous - and Jaguars and Chargers said that Bortles and Rivers wont accept it haha - craziness

I think its pointless - as said above that the players should be acknowledged but no game - heard a good idea on Around the Nfl podcast this morning - logistics to be sorted aside - A Draft Bowl - bottom two ranked teams play for first pick in the draft - whoever wins gets first pick - obviously it prob wouldnt matter in cases like this year were they wont be going for the same player - titans wont take a qb - and browns probably will! but it could be fun to have another competitive game in a neutral venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a load of shit, a complete waste of time, and should be done away with. I really wish it would fuck off

Why so angry? I don't watch it but I can't see how it bothers you so much? Just don't watch it. Simple as that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

A Draft Bowl - bottom two ranked teams play for first pick in the draft - whoever wins gets first pick
    The only issue might be TV viewing figures. I don't want to watch the worst two teams in football.

Maybe the AFC v NFC Championship losers play for the 29th and 30th picks. Both teams might be a bit beat up, and may not risk some unhealthy players; but it still sounds like a better game to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It’ll move to LA and then be taken more seriously

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I saw a stat recently where something like 15% of the league made the pro bowl this year thanks to superbowl, injuries and 'injury excused (aka I don't wanna play)'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,899 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah it's become a total joke of a game now.

I don't see anything that could be done to make it a worthwhile game. It's just a holiday camp type thing and from a players point of view I think it's stupid to put your body on the line in a game like this.

Could you imagine the furore if somebody like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers got injured and missed the next season over playing in a game like this?

Advertisement