Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Backpack, GearBag, Rucksack, whatever you call it

• 26-01-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations ? Theres a few of those bike specific ones that seem to be "aerodynamic" do they make any difference on bikes that are not sports?

Need something waterproof and not huge.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are serious about getting the best out there that will last you for 10yrs then KRIEGA is your only man.....yes its initial outlay is high but it will outlast everything else and is 100% run and fun proof.

They have 25,30 & 35 litre back packs all with the best harness for your back. You really need nothing else TBH I have mine for about 3 yrs now and its being through the mill bursting at the seems all over Europe and Ireland and never missed a beat.

snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any backpack on a bike is dodgy. Since its not for sports bike a tail pack could be a better option. I've a Kriega US20 and its guaranteed waterproof, they do bigger or smaller sizes.

http://www.kriega.com/us20-drypack/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I have an Ogio Mach 5 on back order.

They get good reviews online and there are variants of size. I like the idea of the one piece outer shell that is streamlined and stiff.

I realised recently that my Mon-Fri backpack just needs to have a laptop and a few other bits but I have a full on multi-purpose and many pocket yoke at the moment and also it's waterproof-ness is not great because of so many exposed zips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I have an Ogio Mach 5 on back order.

They get good reviews online and there are variants of size. I like the idea of the one piece outer shell that is streamlined and stiff.

I realised recently that my Mon-Fri backpack just needs to have a laptop and a few other bits but I have a full on multi-purpose and many pocket yoke at the moment and also it's waterproof-ness is not great because of so many exposed zips.

They look good, he really doesn't want you to buy the mach1 bag in the video :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Those Kriega have some load of good reviews, love how in the video chap is wearing gloves for it all haha I'll take a look at the daypack now.

The mach 5 was actually one of the first I saw they look cool but I wondered about how they open up would it piss you off after a while?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Any backpack on a bike is dodgy[/url]

How so? Unless its full of sharp knives and semtex and detonators!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Doylers wrote: »
    Those Kriega have some load of good reviews, love how in the video chap is wearing gloves for it all haha I'll take a look at the daypack now.

The mach 5 was actually one of the first I saw they look cool but I wondered about how they open up would it piss you off after a while?

Just looked at the Kriega stuff, I like the option to tie it to the rear fender. I need a bag.....

Plus if I am not mistaken there is a lifetime warranty on all Kriega bags.....or 10 yrs or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Plus if I am not mistaken there is a lifetime warranty on all Kriega bags.....or 10 yrs or the like.

10 years. I had to avail of it on my R25 backpack. Internal pocket failed. I sent it back direct to them, it took quite a number of e-mails to get an answer from them and took a month or so to get it sorted. They sent me a replacement bag in the end.

I now use a US20 tailpack on my commute each day. Outer pocket is only shower proof, internal is fully waterproof and has been through some downpours.

I prefer not having a backpack on my back. Just a personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is a top box or soft panniers an option?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'd say on the basis if you come off it would have an effect on whichever way your spine goes as you land more than anything.

Is a top box or soft panniers an option?.

I already have a top box but sometimes its full of crap :pac::pac:

But after 4 years of riding I learned that when buying anything for a bike no matter what go waterproof so thats why I want a decent bag.

Thinking about going for the r20 but its not waterproof and Im wondering how it will work when not closed around college and stuff.

So people who have one, does it sit when not clipped in place and can you get an insertable dry bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Del2005 wrote: »
    Any backpack on a bike is dodgy[/url]

You're creating a pivot point for your neck to flex around if you come off, even race humps shouldn't be used on the road, and increasing the risk of other injuries if the backpack catches something and you start flailing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Get yourself one of these, best waterproof backpack I've ever owned...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRY-BAG-Waterproof-Rucksack-100L-Capacity-FULLY-Adjustable-from-RIBER-/281352649079

1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Kriega all the way.

Got a good deal from motorcycleshop.ie down in Cork,aka Lee Honda Centre.

20160114_170351_zpsutddqyx3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Another +1 for kriega. Have mine three years now and still perfect. I've had it full to bursting loads of times and the zip holds no bother and still waterproof. I use it almost everyday even when hill walking or on city breaks so it's seen an awful lot of use.

Normally I don't even notice it's there on the bike. Only time I do is during extremely high winds or at 200±kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have a Keirga US 10 that i got free with my Almax chain a few years ago.
    Never use the thing to be honest. It straps to the rear seat and the clips then attach to the bag.

Cant leave the bag on the bike when i go into a shop or anything or it would be nicked. And if i clip the bag off the bike its a pain in the bollox of a shape to carry.

Also cant leave the straps on the bike and drive when the back isnt attached or they just ****ing flap around and the clips will be banging off the fairing.

May be handy if your going on a really long trip i guess.

Backbox/backpack deffo for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Defo go with Kriega. I have the US20, while it's a great bag it doesn't get much use so I would recommend looking at the backpack option, R25 etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Kriega R25 is the perfect option. Those tailpacks are not feasable for taking on and off the bike all the time if commuting.

Been actually keeping an eye out for an R15 or R20 on sale for the last while

I use my R30 all the time, even off the bike. Like going to concerts or event like when going to the bike shows in Birmingham etc the amount of stuff you get in it is crazy.

goodlad wrote: »
    Never use the thing to be honest. It straps to the rear seat and the clips then attach to the bag.

Cant leave the bag on the bike when i go into a shop or anything or it would be nicked. And if i clip the bag off the bike its a pain in the bollox of a shape to carry.

Also cant leave the straps on the bike and drive when the back isnt attached or they just ****ing flap around and the clips will be banging off the fairing.

It not a pop down the shop type of bag Goodlad its for trip where you arrive and unpack. Its grand as the tank bag with the convertor strap I used it for a while like that.

I think its a R20 that would be handiest for commuting if all you are bringing is lunch and maybe a change of clothes.

I think ther 15 will be a bit too small and the 25 will be a bit big.

Youtube reviews are probs best as they will show you the actual size of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I find the US20 grand for the commute, takes a small laptop and change of clothes for work. If you adjust the straps on the bike so the clips barely stick out from under the seat you can still get them onto the bag handy enough and they don't flop about or hit off anything.

I'd agree with other posters on backpack, the rest of your gear is designed to slide and not catch on things in an off, a backpack will do the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I use a Kriega R30 day in, day out.
    Really comfortable and never had a problem with waterproofness.
    Hauling computer, change of clothes and various bits.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I find the US20 grand for the commute, takes a small laptop and change of clothes for work. If you adjust the straps on the bike so the clips barely stick out from under the seat you can still get them onto the bag handy enough and they don't flop about or hit off anything.

I'd agree with other posters on backpack, the rest of your gear is designed to slide and not catch on things in an off, a backpack will do the opposite.

You can only mount the bag in the way you describe if you have it on upside down. The straps should come up to clip on top of the bag to hold it on secure.

Sounds like you are mounting your bag like this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Never use the thing to be honest
    . It straps to the rear seat and the clips then attach to the bag.

It is still new?
    How much you want for it?

If the price was right,then Id be interested in buying it off you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You can only mount the bag in the way you describe if you have it on upside down. The straps should come up to clip on top of the bag to hold it on secure.

Sounds like you are mounting your bag like this guy.

Nope, your man has it arseways -- I tend to take the straps with me rather than leave them on the bike. there's a pocket on the outside of the bag that they'll go in IIRC.

There's the plastic clips and compression strap that attach on the top of the bag, and then the metal loops that go down near the subframe/seat of the bike. I just loosen the straps and unloop them down near the bike.

Hard to describe, I'll get an auld pic later on.

• Advertisement

It is still new?
    How much you want for it?

If the price was right,then Id be interested in buying it off you.:)

It was used about 10 times 6 years ago when i got my first bike.
    I used kept my Almax chain in it when going places. So the internal waterproof mag is filthy from the chain. Otherwise its all grand.

They are 80 quid new so make me a non retarded offer and its yours man
    gerrowadat wrote: »
    Nope, your man has it arseways -- I tend to take the straps with me rather than leave them on the bike. there's a pocket on the outside of the bag that they'll go in IIRC.

There's the plastic clips and compression strap that attach on the top of the bag, and then the metal loops that go down near the subframe/seat of the bike. I just loosen the straps and unloop them down near the bike.

Hard to describe, I'll get an auld pic later on.

Yeah i think i know what you mean.
    Although i have the version of the bag that doesnt come with the metal hook straps. Although they can be bought for about a fiver.

The straps that i have are literally just the long Nylon straps with the plastic clip on each end. So they just wrap around the pillion seat and then click into the top of the bag.

So if i remove the bag the 4 straps with clips are just hanging there.
    Couldnt be arsed whipping off the seat to take the straps off every time.

Advertisement