Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED replacement flashing with light switch off!

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I have replaced a filament bulb for a low power LED. The lamp has two switches one upstairs and one downstairs & are on the same circuit.

The LED replacement flashes continuously when the light switches are off, this didn't happen with a filament bulb and both bulbs are fine in a different lamp.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? And yes I know I could just go back to a 60W bulb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Yes that happens

There's a discussion here which explains it.

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/20446-snubber-for-leds/

If your LED is just in a ceiling pendant then you may indeed be better off going back to a regular lamp or a CFL

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Hoagy wrote: »
    Yes that happens

There's a discussion here which explains it.

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/20446-snubber-for-leds/

If your LED is just in a ceiling pendant then you may indeed be better off going back to a regular lamp or a CFL

Thats what I ended up doing, a regular lamp is small beer in relation to the cost of an electrician at a couple of hunderd euro to fix the problem.

I've been converted to Ikea Ledare. They've the best Led light quality I've come across >90 CRI.
    I think they might solve your problem as they seem to need a large(r) current to turn on.
    If I try to switch them on with my dimmers set to minimum they won't illuminate until I dial up the dimmer a fraction, I can then set the dimmer lower after the initial on current is met.
    Best dimming I've seen too they put my Phillips to shame. Very smooth down to zero, no flicker. [EDIT: All my dimmers are trailing edge]
    Of course 1 of the 5 I bought died in 8 hours but hey they're way cheap. Apparently no warranty...have yet to find out.

Worth a punt for a €5.

Got a replacement led today FOC. No questions asked nor faulty one even inspected.
    I was offered a refund but I just got another led instead.

Advertisement