Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2016 - no entry requests/offers - see thread in Cycling Adverts

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Well, the event is now sold out. Looking forward to it this year, first time doing it. I believe 4,000 registered cyclists. Signed up to the 140km. Anyone else participating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Looking forward to it - doing the 140km route from Kenmare too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The jury is out on the jersey, not mad about he colour!

375927.png

jon1981 wrote: »
    The jury is out on the jersey, not mad about he colour!

375927.png

375927.png

Does the jersey change each year?

niallo32 wrote: »
    Does the jersey change each year?

Same jersey as last year. Not sure what the plans are for next year. I gather it's cheaper to keep it to a plain unpopular coloured jersey.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Same jersey as last year. Not sure what the plans are for next year. I gather it's cheaper to keep it to a plain unpopular coloured jersey.

Damning words!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

In fairness the Jersey blends in very well with the signs on the route.
    This is a very well run event and both routes are great. It's a very good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up to this, 140km from Kenmare too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

Is it cheaper to do than ROK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

It's full now.
    It costs less to enter than ROK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

It's full now.
    It costs less to enter than ROK

Possible to buy entry's maybe, are they transferable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Registered for the 110 km. my first time on this cycle.

Bringing my daughter who just bought a new bike. Looking forward to spending weekends together getting ready for it... Good father and daughter bonding time!!

And only heard good things about this ride.....

Possible to buy entry's maybe, are they transferable?

Yep, I know someone who couldnt attend last year and passed on their entry. Double check with the organisers just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If anyone knows of an entry going, you might send me a pm please. I knew that I wouldn't be around for the Cycle so didn't enter myself but someone I know is just looking for one entry if one is available by someone.
    ^ They have added their name onto the 'WaitList' though.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

kerry4sam wrote: »
    If anyone knows of an entry going, you might send me a pm please. I knew that I wouldn't be around for the Cycle so didn't enter myself but someone I know is just looking for one entry if one is available by someone.
    ^ They have added their name onto the 'WaitList' though.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

There's a waitlist? Asked on their FB page and was told there wasn't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Signed up for the waiting list, but let me know if anyone can't make it and has a free spot.
    I'm late applying but early with the cancellation request

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Everything is cheaper than the RoK 😉. This is a terrific day out, great buzz, well organized plenty of grub almost too much. And as anyone who knows this area will testify spectacular scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

I'm also on the waiting list for this.

Is there any issue with going along and cycling it on the day if you're not registered? Obviously you wouldn't have access to rests stations, etc.

Looking forward to this now! It will be epic if the weather stays good! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like there are 2k on the waiting list :(

ROK can feck off with itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

I'm also on the waiting list for this.

Is there any issue with going along and cycling it on the day if you're not registered? Obviously you wouldn't have access to rests stations, etc.

at the end of the day, you'd be another road user on public roads. whatever about the ethical and practical (insurance etc.) dimensions to it ...

nialljf wrote: »
    at the end of the day, you'd be another road user on public roads. whatever about the ethical and practical (insurance etc.) dimensions to it ...

That's what I figured, that you'd be as entitled to cycle those roads as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Shriner

For those of you that didn't get a spot on this cycle - there is another cycle on the Beara Peninsula on 16th July - spectacular route with stunning views - it's the Beara Charity Cycle - all welcome! Sorry can't post link but there is a website and also a Facebook page.

Shriner wrote: »
    For those of you that didn't get a spot on this cycle - there is another cycle on the Beara Peninsula on 16th July - spectacular route with stunning views - it's the Beara Charity Cycle - all welcome! Sorry can't post link but there is a website and also a Facebook page.

Looks good, I think I'll do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Shriner wrote: »

here you go
    http://bearacharitycycle.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shriner

Thank you Roger Hassenforder for posting the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Richmond79

Does anyone know someone heading down from limerick doing this.

We only have room for 3 bikes and need 1 bike brought up and down??

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Doing the cycle from Kenmare next week. Do riders set off as a group at official start time (8.30) or is it like Ring of Kerry when most head off earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

trav1963 wrote: »
    Doing the cycle from Kenmare next week. Do riders set off as a group at official start time (8.30) or is it like Ring of Kerry when most head off earlier?

From the ROB website. "If you wish to leave earlier you may do so, but you may not have the support of stewards, mechanical or medical cover on the route."
    Doubt many will be leaving earlier, people mostly leave early on the ROK to avoid crowds but with 3 start locations for Ring of Beara it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just saw the weekly forecast on RTE and it's looking good right through next weekend. High pressure dominating with light winds. So dry but cool:) that'll do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

That's what I figured, that you'd be as entitled to cycle those roads as anyone else.

Unfortunately not!
    A part of the route is going to be checked- as in the ROK, riders will be checked for their Reg, which they will have to be displayed, i.e. bike no, helmet no and wrist band.
    Anybody on the route without Reg on that day,WILL be made do the 'cycle of shame'
    Stewards and Gardai, on duty for that specific purpose.

• Advertisement

invicta wrote: »
    Unfortunately not!
    A part of the route is going to be checked- as in the ROK, riders will be checked for their Reg, which they will have to be displayed, i.e. bike no, helmet no and wrist band.
    Anybody on the route without Reg on that day,WILL be made do the 'cycle of shame'
    Stewards and Gardai, on duty for that specific purpose.

I'm surprised at that, are you sure this is the case?
    Whatever about Gardai, I would have thought that stewards would be breaking the law if they tried to prevent someone's right of passage on a public road.

The event's website states that there are no road closures for the event.
    It would be fairly strange and ironic if cyclicts were prevented from travelling the route, while motorists were allowed to.

Advertisement