Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2016 - no entry requests/offers - see thread in Cycling Adverts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Check again!
    Road closed (1) in Kenmare, and (2) at Killmacillogue!
    See local press or contact Ring of Beara website

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

invicta wrote: »
    Check again!
    Road closed (1) in Kenmare, and (2) at Killmacillogue!
    See local press or contact Ring of Beara website

I'd expect there to be a road closed in the town, for the finish line, etc.
    Probably a short alternate route around it.
    Do you have a link to that?

From there FAQ, it states that "There are no road closures for this event."
    If there are closures they should make their FAQ more accurate.

http://ringofbearacyclekenmare.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Kenmare.ie has details of road closures around the town(from 1 a.m.on Friday,to 8 pm,on Sat)
    Can't find details,on line,regarding the Lauragh closure, but 'twas in the local newspaper(Kerry's Eye)last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Going down on Friday night, staying in Killarney , any tips on things to do that doesn't involve going on the piss? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Text received. All good to go 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I was down this way on holidays last week and cycled a circuit of the peninsula - 82km or so going across the Healy Pass. It's really spectacular down there and it looks like the weather is shaping up nicely for it. Keep an eye out for the Skelligs a few Km outside Allihies...if you can take your eyes off the rest of the scenery.

Have a great day at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

quick question re registration:

I am doing the cycle with a group of about 10 of us all starting from Kenmare bar one person who only managed to register from Castletownbere. We tried to swap his start point to Kenmare by putting his name on the waitlist but no joy. Do you reckon we will have any grief travelling from Kenmare to Castletownbere ? He will have his entry stuff printed off and his text msg, he's technically registered to cycle he'll just be "illegal" from Kenmare to CTB. The site says that registration in CTB is open from 7-8am...we will hardly be there by then...so then what? any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

clare82 wrote: »
    quick question re registration:

I am doing the cycle with a group of about 10 of us all starting from Kenmare bar one person who only managed to register from Castletownbere. We tried to swap his start point to Kenmare by putting his name on the waitlist but no joy. Do you reckon we will have any grief travelling from Kenmare to Castletownbere ? He will have his entry stuff printed off and his text msg, he's technically registered to cycle he'll just be "illegal" from Kenmare to CTB. The site says that registration in CTB is open from 7-8am...we will hardly be there by then...so then what? any ideas?

Have ye tried calling Elite Events to see can they accommodate a swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

HI, yea I contacted them two months ago and then again about two weeks ago and they said no. :( i asked the lady that i spoke to if he'd have problems or would be pulled off the bike in some dramatic fashion..and she reluctantly said no it was unlikely yet she seemed like she was being careful enough not to say that it'd be all cool either. It's my friends first cycling event and i'd rather it went smoothly for his benefit (and mine too i suppose!)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

clare82 wrote: »
    HI, yea I contacted them two months ago and then again about two weeks ago and they said no. :( i asked the lady that i spoke to if he'd have problems or would be pulled off the bike in some dramatic fashion..and she reluctantly said no it was unlikely yet she seemed like she was being careful enough not to say that it'd be all cool either. It's my friends first cycling event and i'd rather it went smoothly for his benefit (and mine too i suppose!)

Chance it I'd say. Can't see someone being pulled when they're fully paid up. Get him to sign on the night before or early that morning and then hightail it back to Kenmare to start with ye. When someone has a legit bike tag I doubt they'll pay much heed to the start point on the tag.

• Advertisement

Chance it I'd say. Can't see someone being pulled when they're fully paid up. Get him to sign on the night before or early that morning and then hightail it back to Kenmare to start with ye. When someone has a legit bike tag I doubt they'll pay much heed to the start point on the tag.

Fully paid up BUT agreed to start from Ctbare, if people take that attitude it could finish the event. When you signed up to start from Ctbare or for that matter Allihies, your finishing point is ALSO Ctbare, I.e.thats where your medal,food voucher, and whatever else is. Therefore the genuine Kenmare starters,may not have enough to cover all and Ctbare would be left with a surplus. It's VERY IMPORTANT that people start from their allocated town,
    The reason for it is to string the riders out along the ring Statically it would be impossible for that many cyclists to leave Kenmare at the same time.

Hope everyone enjoyed that. It was tough(for me anyway)

Found the last climb not too bad, was dreading it after the ones that came before it. There was no let up in the climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/591102328

A terrific day in the Beara peninsula, arrived in Kenmare at 7 and after a munch and registration we headed off about 8, there were already plenty of groups on the road.
    The route was slightly altered from last year but by heading through Toussist even more breathtaking scenery was added. Great banter as we travelled around the loop. The final climb up caha was tough but once you go through the tunnels there is a great sense of achievement having completed the challenge.
    A big shout out to everyone involved in putting today's event together, nothing was too much trouble from stewards, to the foodstop staff. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Here's to next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Great day.... Plus FREE sun tan!!

Did anyone try the "Pork, onion & Tomato " Sandwiches.....is that a Castletownbere delicacy??? I stuck to Tuna.... yum after 50 odd kms!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Great day had doing the 140K.

Everything was perfect including the weather. That climb out of Glengarriff was a killer, never as happy to see that tunnel.

Lovely finishers medal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Probably the best sportive I've done in Ireland. Absolutely tremendous event, well run, serious buzz at each stop, fantastic scenery, weather was amazing, no major queues and very safe. Will do it again for sure. ROK has nothing on this even imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

had a great time feel like doing another one...

so who's up for.. the tour de burren in three weeks??? :)

To those of you who did both the 15,and 16, Ring of Beara!

Which would you consider the best one,taking into account,the route, number of participants,starting and finishing line, and the atmosphere around the various locations etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

invicta wrote: »
    To those of you who did both the 15,and 16, Ring of Beara!

Which would you consider the best one,taking into account,the route, number of participants,starting and finishing line, and the atmosphere around the various locations etc...?

I thought the 2016 was better. The food stops were better organised, had a greater choice and nicer sambos.

The slight change of route worked well too.

Oh, and the weather was much better.

We took our time going round, didn't get back to kenmare until 6pm,

There was no sandwiches in alihies when we got there, we didn't stop in Castletownbere, and when we got to Glengarriff they had already packed up everything. There were plenty people on the road behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Had an absolutely brilliant day. This was my first ever organised cycle and what an introduction. Was quite concerned before the start how the body would hold up but had absolutely no problems at all.

Everyone was thinking about the Caha Pass at the end, but it was that sneaky pass before Allihies that had at least half the participants off their bikes as I went up it!

There were a lot of farmers tans in the pubs around Kenmare last night!

Dades wrote: »

Everyone was thinking about the Caha Pass at the end, but it was that sneaky pass before Allihies that had at least half the participants off their bikes as I went up it!

So true, I saw lads/ladies literally keel over while still in their cleats on that section, no injuries or anything just no strength left came to a dead stop, most were walking. Made it more interesting having to slowly weave around everyone :D

BRILLIANT EVENT! I'm registering again as soon as it's announced.

oh and the pint in Castletownbere was fantastic with the sun, the craic, getting the pass before Allihies out the way... pure savage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

jon1981 wrote: »
    So true, I saw lads/ladies literally keel over while still in their cleats on that section, no injuries or anything just no strength left came to a dead stop, most were walking. Made it more interesting having to slowly weave around everyone :D

BRILLIANT EVENT! I'm registering again as soon as it's announced.

oh and the pint in Castletownbere was fantastic with the sun, the craic, getting the pass before Allihies out the way... pure savage

...... jaysus...how could you contine with the cycle after a pint???? That pint would have put me to sleep there and then!!! OR WORSE... I might see it again going up Caha!!! Brave man!

Masala wrote: »
    ...... jaysus...how could you contine with the cycle after a pint???? That pint would have put me to sleep there and then!!! OR WORSE... I might see it again going up Caha!!! Brave man!

I was training for that moment ;)

Seriously, the temptation was overwhelming, it was the perfect environment for pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Did this event a few weeks ago. A great day out on the bike. Plan to do it again next year. Does anyone know if its a set weekend (last weekend in May) or do I have to wait for announcement.

An announcement about next year's cycle will be made in the autumn but it's always been held on the last weekend in May. I reckon that won't change.

Advertisement