Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funds needed for travel

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all im travelling over to chicago this summer from june to august, i will be staying with a couple of friends who are going on a J1 Visa. I will be going on a holiday visa this summer, i went on a J1 visa last summer to chicago. How much money do you need in your bank account for a holiday visa for 3 months? Is their a certain amount needed or? I cant seem to find my answer on the internet!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's far more important is how you answers the questions the immigration agent asks you at the pre-clearance centre in the airport, simply having a fat bank balance isn't the key to getting in. Since you were on a J1 last year then I assume you're in the age category that will arouse most suspicion as to your intentions, they will in all probability suspect that you are going there to work illegally and/or overstay your 90 days travel permit.

So, leaving aside cash in the bank, what do you propose to say to the agent? If you're going for three months then unless you're a teacher you clearly don't have a permanent job in Ireland - do you have an offer of a job starting in September? Could you produce a letter to this effect?

Who are you visiting in the US? Do they have jobs? What are you going to do for three months in the daytime when they are at work? You need to have all those answers at the ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Backpack20

Yah I understand what your saying , I've another year of college next year in my current course , and I have a part time job at the moment. I could easily get a letter from college if I felt to need to .

Backpack20 wrote: »
    ..... I've another year of college next year in my current course ...... I could easily get a letter from college if I felt to need to .

Deffo get that letter. At your age you need to show them that you have something to come home to.

Ok cheers for the help ! Just the last question about funds , what would be a sufficient amount needed for customs if I wish to stay for 2 months ( nothing booked yet btw)

How much money you actually need depends on whether you intend to stay in the same place as a guest of people already there or if you intend to travel around and stay in dingy motels or fancy hotels, there's no magic formula. It's all about what story you have ready for the border agent. You lived in the US last summer, you should have an idea how much it costs to live there. I've only ever been there on short tourist and business visits and staying in city hotels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, you're not really giving enough info, to get a proper answer.

The friends that you'll be staying with....will you be paying them rent, or will you be living there scot free? Will you be expected to contribute towards monthly bills, or not pay a penny? Will you have to cough up large deposits for anything? Where will you be eating mainly, cooking at home, or eating out? Will you be staying put in Chicago for the entire summer, or will you be traveling around? What will you be doing during the day, while your friends are at work? Are you going to lay out by the pool all summer long, or get a job on the sly, to support your life style?

These are all questions that you could be asked by immigration officials. Only you know the answer to them. If you are a bone fide student (and you have the paperwork to prove it) you probably won't get the third degree line of questioning. But you should expect some questions about your intentions for the summer, so you should know what your answers to them, are going to be.

If you will be living rent & expenses free for the entire summer & all you plan on doing is laying out by the lake all summer long, then having a couple of grand in your account should be enough to satisfy immigrations questions. If your plans are more complicated, then you'll need more money. Only you know the answer really. As the previous poster said, you lived there before, so you should have a pretty good idea of the kind of costings involved.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement