If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k or good 1080p???

Options
  • 26-01-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im a previously very happy customer who purchased a beautiful 42'' Panasonic Plasma back in 2009. So, a wife and 3 year old later ive decided to turn a back room into a 'man pad'!!! 
    Im kinda lost with the 4k v 1080p stuff, i understand the 4 times the resolution and all that but for the same price is a top 1080p just as good. I dont have Sky HD but intend on getting it once the room is done and TV in.
    It will be mainly used for soccer and golf viewing, with golf being the main one. One thing that kind of annoys me when watching any sport with a ball is seeing a white comet flying the air rather than the ball itself.
    So, can you maybe explain which one would suit better for my needs. The budget would be approx €500-€750
    Oh, and i think the max screen the room could handle would be 40-43''.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's very little 4k content available, I wouldn't bother. Putting 1080p content on a 4k display doesn't look any better than 1080p content on a 1080p display. Blurring of fast-moving images is a consequence of our frame rate standards rather than anything to do with resolution. Some TVs have a high refresh rate and try to process (fake) the image to make it look like it came from a higher frame rate source and make objects like a moving football sharper. Probably a terrible feature to have turned on for general viewing but might help for sports.

As a rule a 4K TV is going to have lower refresh rates than 1080p.

Mod Comment

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum, queries here are for Richersounds to answer

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

jod1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im a previously very happy customer who purchased a beautiful 42'' Panasonic Plasma back in 2009. So, a wife and 3 year old later ive decided to turn a back room into a 'man pad'!!! 
    Im kinda lost with the 4k v 1080p stuff, i understand the 4 times the resolution and all that but for the same price is a top 1080p just as good. I dont have Sky HD but intend on getting it once the room is done and TV in.
    It will be mainly used for soccer and golf viewing, with golf being the main one. One thing that kind of annoys me when watching any sport with a ball is seeing a white comet flying the air rather than the ball itself.
    So, can you maybe explain which one would suit better for my needs. The budget would be approx €500-€750

Thanks
    HI Jodi, thanks for your enquiry. Definitely if sport is the main priority for you, you should look at a screen with a high refresh rate, which determines how smooth a long panning shot is. I don't agree with Zillahs rule that 4k TVs have a lower refresh rate than 1080p. There are a lot of 4k TVs with refresh rates over 1000 eg LG 40UF770 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201486-40uf770v.aspx at €699 - a 40" 4k smart TV with refresh rate of 1400PMI

To be fair, its really down to your own preferences. At the minute there isn't a huge amount of 4K content available, mainly through Netflix/youtube etc streaming, but Sky have rumoured a 4K channel coming very soon. If you want a TV that will do you for 6/7 years I would say to look at the 4k sets as it will become vastly more widespread over the next couple of years.

That said on standard 1080p, you would be able to go for a higher spec non 4k set, with a better picture on 1080p, but no option further in down for 4k

If going for a 4k, I would say the LG 40UF770 above would be the best option for you

If you were to go 1080p, I'd say the best would be the SonyKDL43w805-  http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201395-bravia-kdl43w805cbu.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab at €729 - but this is currently an in store item only, not available for shipping

Have a look at these and let me know your thoughts

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

jod1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks
    HI Jodi, thanks for your enquiry. Definitely if sport is the main priority for you, you should look at a screen with a high refresh rate, which determines how smooth a long panning shot is. I don't agree with Zillahs rule that 4k TVs have a lower refresh rate than 1080p. There are a lot of 4k TVs with refresh rates over 1000 eg LG 40UF770 - http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201486-40uf770v.aspx at €699 - a 40" 4k smart TV with refresh rate of 1400PMI

To be fair, its really down to your own preferences. At the minute there isn't a huge amount of 4K content available, mainly through Netflix/youtube etc streaming, but Sky have rumoured a 4K channel coming very soon. If you want a TV that will do you for 6/7 years I would say to look at the 4k sets as it will become vastly more widespread over the next couple of years.

That said on standard 1080p, you would be able to go for a higher spec non 4k set, with a better picture on 1080p, but no option further in down for 4k

If going for a 4k, I would say the LG 40UF770 above would be the best option for you

If you were to go 1080p, I'd say the best would be the SonyKDL43w805-  http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201395-bravia-kdl43w805cbu.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab at €729 - but this is currently an in store item only, not available for shipping

Have a look at these and let me know your thoughts

Brian
    HI Brian,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ill look into them TV's and get back to you when the room is ready.
    Might have interest in a soundbar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Post Snipped By Moderator

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Please note that queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer and are not an invitation for comment by Boards users. Please see the Charter for details.

@NIMAN,

Your post has been snipped as it is completely inappropriate to post in this way here. Before posting here again, please take a moment to read the Charter, particularly the following:

Please note that this forum is for interraction with Richersounds. References to other retailers are not appropriate here, other than if you're directly and genuinely asking for a price-match from Richersounds.

• If you see a bargain from another retailer, feel free to bring it to Bargain Alerts, if you want to comment on service etc. or discuss "where" to get "what" etc, feel free to start a thread in the Home Entertainment forum.

Ritz.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.