Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An old first active current account mortgage

• 26-01-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

This got changed over to ulster bank and I only lately started using it as a current account anyone know if its free banking because your man in bank told me there is a 4 euro charge a month and my old T/C reads that banking will always be free wondering anyone else has this type of account ulster bank don't seem to know much about it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd check the T&C thoroughly because I'd bet there's a break clause in there that doesn't commit them to free banking "forever".

Ulster do charge on their standard accounts, and the changes were well publicized and notices given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Is there a charge being debited to it? I have one of these and there has never been a charge applied and I really really use it, tons of transactions. I find very few UB staff understand the current account mortgage and it's features and benefits. I think I would ignore him for now and just start using it and see if any charge is applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

phormium wrote: »
    Is there a charge being debited to it? I have one of these and there has never been a charge applied and I really really use it, tons of transactions. I find very few UB staff understand the current account mortgage and it's features and benefits. I think I would ignore him for now and just start using it and see if any charge is applied.

Ya I have been using it for a while now and it seems to be free banking which is great started to look in to this mortgage that I have now and it seems we got a really good deal back than 1.15 above ECB rate and free banking for life well life of the mortgage anyway

It's a fantastic mortgage, I haven't paid a penny in interest for years :) Mind you mortgage is small now so easy to arrange it that way, you have to forgo investment interest but hey that's buttons anyway these days.

You have to find old First Active staff in a branch to get anyone who understands it, UB never had that product so haven't a clue. There are a few in HO who know how it works.

One of the main features of that mortgage is you can move it from property to property without paying it off and having to take a new one, therefore holding on to your tracker rate in the process. Now you can't increase the amount of it at the tracker rate, any extra borrowing will be at normal rates but you can move the existing amount to a new house.

It's a fantastic mortgage, I haven't paid a penny in interest for years :) Mind you mortgage is small now so easy to arrange it that way, you have to forgo investment interest but hey that's buttons anyway these days.

You have to find old First Active staff in a branch to get anyone who understands it, UB never had that product so haven't a clue. There are a few in HO who know how it works.

One of the main features of that mortgage is you can move it from property to property without paying it off and having to take a new one, therefore holding on to your tracker rate in the process. Now you can't increase the amount of it at the tracker rate, any extra borrowing will be at normal rates but you can move the existing amount to a new house.
    Hi phorminum you seem to be well able to understand this product more than me and some UB staff can you tell me that the so called facility is money that you have over paid on your mortgage but its not exsesable by you because there is no overdraft facility on this account all very confusing

• Advertisement

Had a huge reply typed and somehow deleted it :( Will do it again later when I get a chance.

Right, 2nd go.

The facility part of the account is not exactly overpayments, it may contain overpayments but is not entirely made up of them. If you never made an overpayment you would still have a facility as it is loosely speaking the difference between what you were approved for day one and what you now owe (but the facility goes down every year and does not remain equal to the difference - explained later)

The facility amount is what is available to you to re-draw down on your mortgage subject to certain conditions mainly that life cover is in place to cover the new higher outstanding amount if you draw down the facility.

It can't be used to dip in and out of like an overdraft, you have to formally request in writing any draw down of it so you wouldn't be doing it for the odd few hundred or so.

Now for an example of how to use a facility-
    Let's say your original mortgage was 150k over 20yrs with 100k now left outstanding, so you are some number of years into the mortgage. The facility showing will not be the full difference of 50k between what you owe and what you originally borrowed but will probably be around 35kish (just guesstimate). So you decide you want to build an extension and need the 35k in your available facility so you apply to draw it down, it is transferred into the current account and you withdraw it, the balance outstanding on your mortgage then goes from 100k to 135k and your facility resets to zero. Now obviously as you now must pay back 135k within the same timeframe as the original mortgage your monthly payments go up. What's the benefit of getting the money you need this way rather than other borrowings? Well mainly the interest rate which will still be the current account mortgage tracker rate of 1.15% over ECB. No other borrowing will be that cheap plus there is no real application process. Over time the facility will appear again but will be lower, it goes down each year as if it were to remain the same as the difference between what you were approved for day one and what you owe then you could have the situation where in year 19 of a 20yr mortgage you could top back up to the original amount, this would make no sense as obviously repayments on that big an amount would be too much over one year. So the facility amount available increases initially as you repay the mortgage but then decreases as the term shortens.

Another example of how the facility could be used would be for say to buy a car. Let's say you want to buy a car for 10k and you want to borrow the 10k. You can draw down 10k from the facility and buy your car. Now most people would say that is madness increasing your mortgage to buy a car and it would be if you intended repaying it over the remaining term of the loan by which time the car is probably a distant memory. So say you borrow the money from the bank/credit union on a 5yr car loan at a rate of ???? I don't know what rate you will get but it will be a lot higher than the current account mortgage rate of 1.15 over ECB. What you should do is draw down the 10k from the facility and then overpay the mortgage each month by what the repayments would be on 10k at mortgage rate over 5yrs. This will bring you back to the same position in the mortgage as you would have been had you not drawn down the extra but you will have had the benefit of paying for your car loan at the low mortgage rate.

The other big benefit to this mortgage is the offsetting arrangements, any balance in any account that you have linked to the offset mortgage will be taken into account every day when interest is calculated on the mortgage.

For example lets say your salary of 2k is paid into the account on the 5th of Feb, then that night interest on the mortgage is calculated on the balance amount less 2k, as you spend the 2k over the next month the balance left in the account every day saves you interest on the mortgage that day. So for every euro you have in an offset account you are saving interest on a euro of your mortgage. It's not unknown for people who are really working this mortgage to pay for everything every month with credit card and clear that at end of month to maximise the resting balance in their offset account to save interest charged :)

Well explained looks like I missed out in 10 years imtrest I am sure someone sat down with me 10 year's ago and explained all that but I wasn't interested at the time O what a difference a few years make thanks for replying back

Even if you never used it to it's full benefit it's still a good tracker rate, good to have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but it contains the most information I've been able to find. We have this mortgage. We never signed over so got offered the new deal of a very low tracker rate and a good return on savings. However for some reason we're still on interest only. Have a vague recollection of the deal at the time. Is the interest only aspect for the duration of the loan?

• Advertisement

Are you really sure it is the current account/offset mortgage you have? There was never an interest only option on this particular product to the best of my knowledge.

Are you really sure it is the current account/offset mortgage you have? There was never an interest only option on this particular product to the best of my knowledge.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes it was a CAM. The money in the current account was taken from the total owed on the loan each month for the purpose of calculating the interest due. It's been interest only from day 1 but I think it was only due to last for 5 years. I believe the unlimited extension was part of the deal when the account moved to Ulster Bank. I just can't find the documentation confirming it.

Good luck finding anyone in ulster bank ti explain anything to you they haven't a clue about it

Have been avoiding contacting them, just in case...

Right, maybe there was some deal done during the merger as definitely while originally a First Active product there was no interest only option. The CAM was the original then it changed to Offset but basically same product. There are a few people in UB Head Office who understand the product, hard to find them though!

One used to post here or was it on askaboutmoney, I can't remember which but they definitely knew the product.

When you say you never signed over what do you mean?

What tracker margin over ECB are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Squirrell19

Ulster bank have been trying to contact everyone that had a FA CAM but they didn’t say why, anyone ?

No idea, haven't heard anything from them.

Ulster bank have been trying to contact everyone that had a FA CAM but they didn’t say why, anyone ?
    Shouldn't be hard to find us might be over charging us could do with a few euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

whats fa cam stand for?

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »
    whats fa cam stand for?
    First Active current account mortgage

Definitely not overcharging me, I don't pay a penny in interest on it :)

I have old FA staff contacts now working in UB, would surely have heard something about this if it was anything important.

Any word what ulster bank are going to do with these current account mortgage i haven't started looking at moving yet,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

They dont know what to do with them I believe at the moment.

They are in their own magical hole. It may be that they never move.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I'm interested as to what will happen them too! If they keep them somewhere in a magical place they will have to allow some other sort of savings account linked to them for the offsetting purposes, be awkward I'd imagine if it had to be a current account but very handy for those of us that have them! I'm sure they can change the t&cs to just allowing an offsetting account as opposed to it having to be a current account.

Is there any panic in looking for a new bank for our current account is it up to them to sort it out as our current account is linked to our mortgage. My reckoning is they will just sell these in some kind of a discounted package to one of the main banks as a going concern.

It is up to you to move your current account.

They will give you 6 months notice before they will close your account.

The belief is they currently have no deal for the Offset mortgages.

I know it's up to me to move my current account as things stand but the point is there has to be an account linked to the CAM to avail of the offsetting be it a current or savings account, whichever doesn't matter to me but some account has to be there or the whole premise the mortgage was sold on disappears. Surely the terms and conditions protect the very idea and main benefit of the product.

I suppose one option for them is to do a deal with somewhere to transfer the CAMs with the same offsetting situation with an account in the new place.

Or alternatively compensate us to the value of the offsetting for remaining time, there must be relatively short term left on most CAMs at this stage when none were issued after FA went.

Ah yes. Agree with you.

For that reason I believe its why they are in a magical pot all by themselves.

As for getting another lender to give the same product.

I don't believe there is anybody in the Irish market that has that product on their books. So it's a red herring.

Also think they only stopped selling them when they stopped selling trackers. So they were being sold when First Active was part of Ulster.

So around 2009/10

• Advertisement

They were being sold when FA was owned by RBS but were no longer being sold when it was amalgamated with Ulster as in when the FA branches were closed. FA stopped accepting new tracker applications I feel in August-ish 2008 with ones in the pipeline continuing to be processed and drawn down after that date.

I'm fairly sure that is the time they finished as I was out sick after a small op for 6 weeks and when I came back all had changed, changed utterly and trackers were gone for new applicants!

There isn't an existing similar product out there but sure some bank might be willing to take on the existing CAMs plus an offsetting account if they were sold them at the right price :) Be better to just offer the customer the discount maybe.

Advertisement