Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork Mechanic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

selfdiy wrote: »
    I think a few good pictures of the engine bay may also help anyone who has plans to look at it.

Can't understand how so many have failed to get it going.

Oh so true. I couldn,t agree more on both counts.

Vw beetle engine is a simple, functional piece of kit. If this was a test

case, any first year mechanic should be able to diagnose the issue here

inside of ten minutes. If he cant, his mechanic abilities are suspect in my opinion.

Problem is Laptop mechanics are not the same as old school ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah lads ye have me in stictches sorry but like why would pictures help, they are either going to look at it or not. I dont think taking a picture is going to help..Seriously i do worry... And how far is the car from Tullamore " The title of the thread is Cork Mechanic"...

Lads come on..

Ok so latest news after calling into the mechanic of course he put all parts back, he didnt do a swedish chef at the back of the car..

He got it started again this morning and black smoke everywhere. He cleared the carburattor out again and everyime it gets strarted it gets full of crap again..

he said also the overspill was caused becuase there was a **** load of petrol after getting mixed with the engine oil!! I know who would have guesed..

He is going to give it one more try in the morning see if she is any better and after that were back to basics...

Ah lads ye have me in stictches sorry but like why would pictures help, they are either going to look at it or not. I dont think taking a picture is going to help..Seriously i do worry... And how far is the car from Tullamore " The title of the thread is Cork Mechanic"...

Lads come on..

Ok so latest news after calling into the mechanic of course he put all parts back, he didnt do a swedish chef at the back of the car..

He got it started again this morning and black smoke everywhere. He cleared the carburattor out again and everyime it gets strarted it gets full of crap again..

he said also the overspill was caused becuase there was a **** load of petrol after getting mixed with the engine oil!! I know who would have guesed..

He is going to give it one more try in the morning see if she is any better and after that were back to basics...

Pictures tell a lot, but only to those that know what they are looking at. And you by your
    own admission, do not.

Over spill of petrol, is a term I,ve not heard. Black smoke signifies too much fuel
    being burnt. Doesn,t mean the engine is kaputt.

Its now amazing when my first hint that there was a fuel issue, is being dealt with,
    that this car seems to start on cue.

It needs an oil change, with the right oil.

Distance away from Tullamore was asked, before myself and another vw mechanic
    headed down to see it and start it for you. Combined experience of 100 years,
    since we were both nippers.

Question is, would we have lasted the journey:p

Academic now that its going again.:)

But sure it all started with filling it with Fuel.... haha

Yep me neither but that is what he said. He said there was like 6ltrs rather than 4ltrs of oil as there was a mix of oil and petrol? Im telling you the car is doomed.. everything that has happened to her is not straight forward..

100 Years do ye come like dressed as Thor is so ill pay to ship ye down from Tullamore just don't tell my huuusss still cant come to terms with the word...

Ill be back for a chat with him today as he said he will try it once more in the morning and then he would have to shift it on.. thinking about it since we must move house soon, I will probably get her towed to the parents house and see what to do from there..

If he cant fix it im really thinking about selling her (although I don't want to) or seeing I don't know maybe someone would take her on as a project car to work on over the year with of course my supervision as to what gets done.. The engine cannot be bad in her as it was given a big overhaul around 5 years ago... So it is mostly body that needs to be done.. Just there always seems to be something, would it be worth selling and picking up another in better nick

• Advertisement

But sure it all started with filling it with Fuel.... haha

Yep me neither but that is what he said. He said there was like 6ltrs rather than 4ltrs of oil as there was a mix of oil and petrol? Im telling you the car is doomed.. everything that has happened to her is not straight forward..

100 Years do ye come like dressed as Thor is so ill pay to ship ye down from Tullamore just don't tell my huuusss still cant come to terms with the word...

Ill be back for a chat with him today as he said he will try it once more in the morning and then he would have to shift it on.. thinking about it since we must move house soon, I will probably get her towed to the parents house and see what to do from there..

If he cant fix it im really thinking about selling her (although I don't want to) or seeing I don't know maybe someone would take her on as a project car to work on over the year with of course my supervision as to what gets done.. The engine cannot be bad in her as it was given a big overhaul around 5 years ago... So it is mostly body that needs to be done.. Just there always seems to be something, would it be worth selling and picking up another in better nick

The only way that the petrol could enter the engine sump
    to water down the engine oil and affect compression is by 2 routes.

Either petrol was put directly down the carb venturi, to try to start.
    This would end up in the sump.
    Or, because the car ran low on petrol, causing loose debris to be brought
    from the dryish petrol tank to the carb, and thereby blocking the
    inlet needle valve, and preventing it from shutoff.

This blockage would then allow petrol to keep flowing into the valve and overflowing into the carb, and into the sump.

The initial pressure of the fuel pump would keep this flowing until the
    pressure died off.

I suspect a bit of both on this matter.

In short, you need to stop using non VW savvy mechanics on your bug.

If you dont, then its doubtful you will have a running car left to sell on.
    Better off to leave it at the parents house until such time as you get
    the right guy.

I suspect your current mechanic wants to move this on. If he fits a
    carb rebuild kit, new needle valve, front fuel filter under tank, and new filter at rear. Along with an oil change. Re tune carb, and check timing, and valves.

Bug will live again.

PS.

If you want us to dress up as vikings...................thats gonna cost extra,

and I,ll leave any pillaging to the wanabe mechanics.:D

Yeah see I suppose it does sound like a mix of all.Thank you Kadman

But again still stuck for who to get working on her.. I still cant believe Cork is so bad for this you would think it isn't that hard but believe me it is. As mentioned I spoke to the mechanic I had been using all along but to be honest im well too annoyed at him to use him and it would eb €400 quid to send to him..

Suppose we shall just have to see if this meant to be tis meant to be..

Id pay extra for costume sure ill make you one haha

Yeah see I suppose it does sound like a mix of all.Thank you Kadman

But again still stuck for who to get working on her.. I still cant believe Cork is so bad for this you would think it isn't that hard but believe me it is. As mentioned I spoke to the mechanic I had been using all along but to be honest im well too annoyed at him to use him and it would eb €400 quid to send to him..

Suppose we shall just have to see if this meant to be tis meant to be..

Id pay extra for costume sure ill make you one haha

Jeez......sounds like you,ve forked out some dough, and still have
    no running car. Painful.

But if a young lassie drives a vintage bug, then some chaps, not all
    come up with this equation,

Young lady+ classic car+ trouble with car== big windfall for said
    mechanic.

I,ve seen some poor young folk on the end of this equation. So your
    paramount thing, is to find an honest vw chap if you can.

Keep me posted on the happenings with your car, and if/when you
    get it back and its somewhere where I can give the engine the once
    over for you, we,ll organise something at a reasonable amount.

Lets say not more than 100 euro. Cant say fairer than that. And you,ll
    get the full SP on it for that.

Tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kadman wrote: »
    Pictures tell a lot, but only to those that know what they are looking at. And you by your
    own admission, do not.

Over spill of petrol, is a term I,ve not heard. Black smoke signifies too much fuel
    being burnt. Doesn,t mean the engine is kaputt.

Its now amazing when my first hint that there was a fuel issue, is being dealt with,
    that this car seems to start on cue.

It needs an oil change, with the right oil.

Distance away from Tullamore was asked, before myself and another vw mechanic
    headed down to see it and start it for you. Combined experience of 100 years,
    since we were both nippers.

Question is, would we have lasted the journey:p

Academic now that its going again.:)

I've had the sump fill with petrol (pump diaphragm IIRC). Although it could have been from parking nose up a steep hill. :)

She is parked on the flat in work and while the carpark isn't level it isn't a hill either..

If must be that she was too low..

Thanks again all, I really do think this is it lady with Car lets take the piss. One chap I gave over 2000 a problem with the petrol getting all these clumps of stuff in it and the car stopping.. Turned out in the end I got a new tank, and someone had put silicone sealer on it, when I asked the chap who was suppose to be fixing her he said he never went near the tank.. I was like it was a fuel problem how did you not check it.. I wasn't saying he put the sealer there but he should have checked..

Anywho..sure well get her back from your man next door I will say I think he is genuine now but I haven't seen a bill yet so ill keep my mouth shut...

She is parked on the flat in work and while the carpark isn't level it isn't a hill either..

If must be that she was too low..

Thanks again all, I really do think this is it lady with Car lets take the piss. One chap I gave over 2000 a problem with the petrol getting all these clumps of stuff in it and the car stopping.. Turned out in the end I got a new tank, and someone had put silicone sealer on it, when I asked the chap who was suppose to be fixing her he said he never went near the tank.. I was like it was a fuel problem how did you not check it.. I wasn't saying he put the sealer there but he should have checked..

Anywho..sure well get her back from your man next door I will say I think he is genuine now but I haven't seen a bill yet so ill keep my mouth shut...

Milly at 2ooo for a tank, you are getting fleeced my dear.

250 should have covered tank and fitting....Pheeewhh.

Can we have a vid of the running engine when you get it back please.

Tank
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PETROL-FUEL-TANK-VW-BEETLE-1302-1303-40L-1969-1979-/371139996582?hash=item5669aaeba6:g:qe0AAOSwsB9WA7mB

200 sovs. 1 hour to fit outside

No not 2000 for the tank.. I had the car at this mechanics who was looking into a fuel problem... There was all this clumpy crap showing up in the filter.. Gave him around 2000 between parts and his charge.. In the end i took it somehwere else and they replaced the tank and said well this was the problem someone had put silicone sealer on the tank.. When i went back to the other mechanic and asked why he didnt look at the tank he said i never told him too..

Anyone well the engine doesnt run for long so i cant say i can take a vid of it.. Called into the mechanics after work so yep he said tis in **** that the compression is all over the shop.. So stuck again must get her towed tomorrow to god knows where

No not 2000 for the tank.. I had the car at this mechanics who was looking into a fuel problem... There was all this clumpy crap showing up in the filter.. Gave him around 2000 between parts and his charge.. In the end i took it somehwere else and they replaced the tank and said well this was the problem someone had put silicone sealer on the tank.. When i went back to the other mechanic and asked why he didnt look at the tank he said i never told him too..

Anyone well the engine doesnt run for long so i cant say i can take a vid of it.. Called into the mechanics after work so yep he said tis in **** that the compression is all over the shop.. So stuck again must get her towed tomorrow to god knows where

The fact that the car starts and runs, albeit for a short time,
    points more to a fuel issue than, compression.

Compression all over the shop means nothing to you, and less to
    your mechanic. Otherwise with compression readings so bad, it
    wouldn,t have started. And if he noted the readings, he could have
    pinpointed the area where the problem is, exactly.

The fact that the car started says the readings may not be so serious
    as to prevent the car running.
    And if you say this engine got a major rebuild in the last 5 years, then it
    should be in good fettle.

If you checked most vw beetles on the road for matching compression
    readings on all cylinders. The majority of beetles wouldn,t be in the
    recommended figures. But they will happily plod along from dawn til dusk.

It would be interesting to know what figures he came up with on each cylinder, but I suspect at this stage, you are p...ed off talking to him.

It would be very interesting to know the work you got done on the rebuild, as it would explain a lot too.

Get your car to a suitable spot, where it can be checked out in private. And I,ll try and organise a run down for myself and another chap to try and do something positive for you.

But I need a couple of pics in close of the carb ect. And I need to know is it a 1200cc, 1300cc or 1600 cc engine. What exact model it is, so I can bring a few spares.

Tim

No no im am not pissed off with the mechanic looking at her now at all, In the contrary Watson.

Must say they have been very good, called in today for a chat with the main man and he said like that it can be fixed I just need someone who loves them and is willing to give it time. He just does not have the time to work on her... There hasn't even been a mention of money he said as far as he can see the car isn't fixed so I owe him nothing..

It is the main mechanic up the country I am more pissed off with her reg one. As I wanted to send her up after Christmas to him to fix and he kept saying no no I can talk to someone over the phone and they can fix it... Kept it up three nights he done this and the last night I got pissed off at him as he was asking too much and I said again will he not just take her. All I got was surely there is someone there mechanically minded who will fix her... So that's that he really let me down now I must say well more than pissed off with him...

That is why I am stuck. Was just onto Eircooled there so he gave me the name of three chaps. I might get onto the forum and see

No no im am not pissed off with the mechanic looking at her now at all, In the contrary Watson.

Must say they have been very good, called in today for a chat with the main man and he said like that it can be fixed I just need someone who loves them and is willing to give it time. He just does not have the time to work on her... There hasn't even been a mention of money he said as far as he can see the car isn't fixed so I owe him nothing..

It is the main mechanic up the country I am more pissed off with her reg one. As I wanted to send her up after Christmas to him to fix and he kept saying no no I can talk to someone over the phone and they can fix it... Kept it up three nights he done this and the last night I got pissed off at him as he was asking too much and I said again will he not just take her. All I got was surely there is someone there mechanically minded who will fix her... So that's that he really let me down now I must say well more than pissed off with him...

That is why I am stuck. Was just onto Eircooled there so he gave me the name of three chaps. I might get onto the forum and see

Any luck with your eircooled contacts??

• Advertisement

Hey I have two replies there I must go back in and check when I get the chance. One for an older chap but not sure would he be too interested in it just as Id say she needs a garage garage and then another in Killarney..I shall be back

I thought you would have got more to be honest.

I was sure there were lots of eircooled members located around cork
    who could have called out to look at the car, and give you a bit of
    advice.

See how you get on with your contacts, and if all else fails my offer
    still stands, even if I have a bit to travel.

Tim

Ok so progress is being made.. Any VW owners here get back to Eircooled they are just great for information.

I may end up eating my words but got a tip for a good mechanic in Little Island. So hopefully I will get this done next week. Must just try and arrange a tow truck now to get her there..

Updates to follow thanks all again especially kadman

Ok so progress is being made.. Any VW owners here get back to Eircooled they are just great for information.

I may end up eating my words but got a tip for a good mechanic in Little Island. So hopefully I will get this done next week. Must just try and arrange a tow truck now to get her there..

Updates to follow thanks all again especially kadman

Not much to update on at the moment. Ended up bringing her to Little Island.. Disaster day yesterday managed to get the tow truck under cover to bring her out but could not get onto Mechanic was afraid he would kill me for just dropping her down but nope sound out. He was on today to say he will get to her as soon as he can...

So fingers crossed..

Any updates??

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Hi Milly33.. just sent you a PM.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Cork mechanic ... the myth ... the one nobody ever saw or heard of. That person everyone is hoping to appear out of nowhere and fix old cars...

• Advertisement

dont be silly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement