Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a SSD and cloning windows installation on existing HDD

Options
  • 26-01-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭

Its been a while since i have done something like this, my new laptop had a HDD and no SSD.

I am going to install a SSD and id like to clone the existing windows install and copy it to the ssd and then format the HDD and use as storage.

nowadays whats the easiest and cheapest (freeest !) way of achieving this?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-and-reliable-cloning-tools/

Macrium Reflect Free Edition (Figure B) touts itself as one of the fastest disk cloning utilities available. This cloning solution supports only Windows file systems, but it does it quite well and has a fairly straightforward user interface. This software does disk imaging and disk cloning, allows you to access images from the file manager, creates a Linux rescue CD, and is compatible with Windows Vista and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Parky2

If you go for Samsung you can get their Samsung Magician Software off their website. You will need a cradle or external drive enclosure if it's for a laptop. Once done you can format the old drive and use it externally.

The Magician SSD management utility is designed to work with all Samsung SSD products, including 470 Series, 750 Series, 830 Series, 840 Series, 850 Series and 950 Series. This software is not compatible with other manufacturer's SSDs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Parky2 wrote: »
    If you go for Samsung you can get their Samsung Magician Software off their website. You will need a cradle or external drive enclosure if it's for a laptop. Once done you can format the old drive and use it externally.

Another option when buying a Samsung SSD is to buy the kit which includes the migration s/w and a cable to connect the SSD externally while you're doing the migration.

When the migration is complete, you swap the SSD into the laptop and reboot. You can then scrub the HDD and use the cable to connect it as external storage when required. However if you want to use the HDD as permanently mounted storage then an internal cradle or external enclosure would be the preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

In work we install a lot of Crucial SSDs, each comes with a licence code for Acronis True Image 2014 so we have loads of spare licences.

I can send you on a code if you like?

Just checked the copy I have on my machine there and from within Windows it'll allow you to clone the disk, will also allow you to schedule backups (I use it to backup my SSD to my old HDD but this version only allows weekly backups, still better than nothing though and could get you out of a pinch).

ETA: Ah, only spotted now that it's a laptop rather than a PC, but if you have a caddy for the drive then you could still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

In work we install a lot of Crucial SSDs, each comes with a licence code for Acronis True Image 2014 so we have loads of spare licences.

Just checked the copy I have on my machine there and from within Windows it'll allow you to clone the disk, will also allow you to schedule backups (I use it to backup my SSD to my old HDD but this version only allows weekly backups, still better than nothing though and could get you out of a pinch).

ETA: Ah, only spotted now that it's a laptop rather than a PC, but if you have a caddy for the drive then you could still use it.

that would be great if you have a spare code?

thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭zeromemory

If you have any spare key lying around. Can definitely use one. :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    that would be great if you have a spare code?

thanks a lot :)

PM sent.

zeromemory wrote: »

Will have a gander when I get home, am on customer site for most of day but think I have a spare code at home, if I can find it then will PM you.

zeromemory wrote: »

PM sent.

Advertisement