Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker Hob tripping a fuse

Options
  • 26-01-2016 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have an electric hob thats about 12 years old, something like this one.. .http://www.powercity.ie/?par=45-41-64101X. Occasionally the fuse on my main circuit board gets tripped when I'm cooking on the hob. There's no other appliance running at the same time, so its not like the fuse is being overloaded. It's not consistent, I could use the hob fine for a few days, but then when I go to cook again the fuse will be tripped. I'm assuming the hob needs to be replaced, but I'd hate to buy a new one and find its some other issue which keeps happening with the new hob. At the same time I'm trying to avoid paying an electrician to just walk in and say "you need a new hob" within 30 seconds. Is there anything I can check for before replacing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interested in an answer to this myself, I suppose the lazy reply is "Welcome to Ireland" especially if you're renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

How many rings are on when it trips?

What size is the breaker that is tripping? (A photo of the breaker would help clarify your issue)

Is the hob the only thing on that circuit (does anything else switch off?)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

How many rings are on when it trips?

What size is the breaker that is tripping? (A photo of the breaker would help clarify your issue)

Is the hob the only thing on that circuit (does anything else switch off?)
    Can't seem to tie it to one ring in particular, or the number of rings being used. Will investigate to see if anything else on the circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

)

This

I've occasionally come across the cooker circuit on a 10amp mcb and the lights on the 32!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is it on an RCD?

Cooker elements absorb water spills like mad and as such have unpredictable leakage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is it on an RCD?

Cooker elements absorb water spills like mad and as such have unpredictable leakage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

meercat wrote: »
    This

I've occasionally come across the cooker circuit on a 10amp mcb and the lights on the 32!!!!!

Yea I seen that happen alright.

Advertisement